BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-08-2017, 12:17 AM   #1
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
I, too, have succumbed to the M40i..

My 2015 lease is coming to an end, and after visiting my dealer to discuss options, I ended up walking out having placed an order for the new M40i. It seems like I am only the 3rd person to have ordered it because when my CA looked at the computer, he said that there were 2 orders in the queue ready for production. Strange, I thought there would be more.

Anyway, this will be my 5th X3 and each time I go through this I always configure it with the intention to buy it after lease end, but I always get that itch to get a new one and this time it was no different, especially with the redesign. I am always weary about 1st yr production of any redesign, but this time I didn't have too much of a choice if I wanted a new X3.

I'm like a kid in a candy store whenever this happens and configuring the M40i was fun yet confusing. I won't list the options/packages since to be honest, I got almost everything and I'm a little embarrassed to admit it.... including the factory hitch which I thought would garner attention. I configured it with the intention to buy it at lease end (again) but this time I think I may stick to my guns. (Famous last words.)

Anyway, I did get the Phytonic Blue Metallic along with the Black Vernasca Leather w/blue contrast stitching/piping (seriously, the blue contrast stitching looks so awesome). I am curious as to how light of a blue this is. I've always had a blue X3 and each generation it seems to get lighter. My first X3 was Blue/Black, then it was Monaco Blue, then it was Deep Sea Blue, and now it's this Phytonic Blue which seems to be a lighter shade of blue than any of the previous I've ever had. Also, the matching blue brake calipers is nice.

One thing I noticed is that BMW loves to move options around the packages especially in the Driver Assistance Packages. Some of the stuff that used to be in one is now in the other. I never had the Harmon Kardon system and now I will for the first time. I actually liked the sound in the standard system but it seems to be so popular that I decided to include it especially since music is a huge deal for me in the car and now that it has this sound insulated glass or whatever it is called, perhaps I would really be able to tell the difference.

Anyway, I had to contact my dealer that I needed to make a change to my order already. Using the online configurator, I totally missed that the Premium Package comes with only Front Heated Seats and if you want both Front and Back, it's an extra $350.

Another configurator quirk - it doesn't say it but the Executive Package includes the Vernasca Leather option (value $1700) but it does. That is why when you select the Executive Package when you've already selected a Vernasca Leather option, the MSRP as built only goes up about $800 instead of the full $2550.

All of this is in the price guides I'm sure, but those guides make me dizzy trying to track what falls under which.

I was able to get the $1.5k loyalty discount and I didn't realize that the German company I work gave me another $500 discount. Don't forget to ask them if there is a corporate discount for you too. CA said that the car will likely arrive in November seeing that the production dates on the ones that were already ordered were listed for November. My current lease doesn't end until the end of the year but BMW's loyalty program is paying up to 3 months from when the new car arrives.

Well, I'm thrilled and thought I'd share. I admit that I did briefly consider Audi but I'm just in love with the X3s for over a decade now and I couldn't stop yet.

I hope I did the right thing... I hope 1st year production quality of the 3rd Gen is going to be spectacular. I hope I will love this car like my previous X3s.

By the way, I'm so glad they finally put the darn steering wheel heater button in front!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
AUS1969
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

I'm retiring my E-90 M3 from regular service and ordered the X3 M40i. I jumped on the new X3 very early in the process, and I too am really excited by the new X3. I looked at all of the competition - I'm over 70 now and too creaky in the legs to be comfortable getting in and out of the M3 or any other low vehicles. Gravity will help me out of the car now, rather than being a hindrance. I hope I won't be disappointed. A taller, updated M3?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 12:31 AM   #3
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS1969 View Post
I'm retiring my E-90 M3 from regular service and ordered the X3 M40i. I jumped on the new X3 very early in the process, and I too am really excited by the new X3. I looked at all of the competition - I'm over 70 now and too creaky in the legs to be comfortable getting in and out of the M3 or any other low vehicles. Gravity will help me out of the car now, rather than being a hindrance. I hope I won't be disappointed. A taller, updated M3?
To be honest, after having sat in my first X3 back in 2006 - I never looked back at sitting low again - at least for my cars. The X3 is a bit in between... It's definitely a car you step into, but it's not as high up as some of the other SUVs out there, so there's certainly no climbing in. At least for me - I feel the X3 is a perfect height to step into and I am 6' 2". I think because it's a little lower, it makes it also drive like a car, which makes driving it feel really nice. It still has a nice 8" ground clearance. I am really hoping that my M40i is everything I am hoping it will be. I do really like my 2015 x3 35i, but I'm ready for something different but the same, if you know what I mean.

I take it that you have a production number by now if you got on the wagon early on!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
airbagit13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
To be honest, after having sat in my first X3 back in 2006 - I never looked back at sitting low again
I'm thinking about dropping my X3 2" so much for not sitting low!
Appreciate 0