E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Excessive Oil Use With ST

10-05-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
CeeWhizzle
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Excessive Oil Use With ST

So I have a DOC Race 6466 kit - Before running the motor for the first time I put in a full 7L of Redline 5w40.

When I went to test drive it at only 18psi I did about 2-3 hard pulls in 2nd - 3rd gear. Everything was smooth and no leaks were found. The next day I took it to work and drove normally, but on the highway the low oil light came on - Ok. So I added 1L. Later that day I drove home and same thing.. Another 1 L... 2 days later.. yet again another 1L.. I checked my charge pipe to inspect for any oil and it has the typical amount that you would see. However I'm thinking there is probably a large amount in my intercooler now. I'll be pulling that this weekend to check it out, but aside from all of that - What is causing all this blow-by? I'm currently running my PCV vent to atmosphere since I have still yet come up with how I want to route it (Im guessing it could be due to this). Also have the RB PCV.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeWhizzle View Post
So I have a DOC Race 6466 kit - Before running the motor for the first time I put in a full 7L of Redline 5w40.

When I went to test drive it at only 18psi I did about 2-3 hard pulls in 2nd - 3rd gear. Everything was smooth and no leaks were found. The next day I took it to work and drove normally, but on the highway the low oil light came on - Ok. So I added 1L. Later that day I drove home and same thing.. Another 1 L... 2 days later.. yet again another 1L.. I checked my charge pipe to inspect for any oil and it has the typical amount that you would see. However I'm thinking there is probably a large amount in my intercooler now. I'll be pulling that this weekend to check it out, but aside from all of that - What is causing all this blow-by? I'm currently running my PCV vent to atmosphere since I have still yet come up with how I want to route it (Im guessing it could be due to this). Also have the RB PCV.
If you were really using that much oil you would see a leak or a cloud of smoke. Look into your oil level sensor.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Do you still have the flapper assembly intact on the high ventilation side?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #4
R.G.
Captain
Rep
Drives: Isetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeGovernor View Post
If you were really using that much oil you would see a leak or a cloud of smoke. Look into your oil level sensor.
This. Make sure you're not overfilled at this point.
      10-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

Perhaps a bad oil level sensor? At this point you may be over filling the oil pan with oil, it would be very hard to use that much oil without a significant and obvious leak.

Also with that potential overfill of oil it can have catastrophic effects on the engine.

I'd consider a complete drain and fill and inspect for obvious leaks. If no oil out the exhaust and nothing excessive in the charge pipe it's likely attributed to a bad oil level sensor. (That's my guess).
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #6
CeeWhizzle
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

I just started to get an Oil condition/Level sensor code today. My guess is also on this. I'll be draining the oil this weekend and ordering a new sensor. Thanks for the info guys. Will update further on once complete.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
I just started to get an Oil condition/Level sensor code today. My guess is also on this. I'll be draining the oil this weekend and ordering a new sensor. Thanks for the info guys. Will update further on once complete.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:24 AM   #8
AK.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E92 M3

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [10.00]
Same issue happened to me. 6466 as well. Oil was consuming lots of oil. Turbo was sent back to Precision for inspection/warranty and they said nothing was wrong... I'm assuming it's because of the lack of crankcase ventilation? Just had the heads tapped/plugged and installed RB PCV routed to a Mishimoto OCC. Hope that should do. I did my oil pan gasket and oil level sensor recently as well. Will post for updates.
Appreciate 0