E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > SMD interior LED Conversion

10-04-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
M90THU
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

SMD interior LED Conversion

Hi,

Hope someone can help, I’m in the process of converting all the SMD LEDs in the car to white, I have done most of the car however I can’t seem to figure out what type LEDs are needed for the iDrive unit and other parts of the car.

Does anyone know what these are?

They a about half the size of the LEDs needed for the Cluster.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
Jagaer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi 6MT

The larger LEDs are 2-SMD J-Lead, I imagine the smaller ones are also 2-SMD J-Lead, just in a smaller package.

If you have access to vernier calipers, you can measure the length and width to confirm the exact size.

Eyballing it compared to the known larger LED, my best guess is something like this: https://www.digikey.ca/product-detai...-2T-ND/2692123

2.2 x 1.4 mm, 2-SMD J-Lead, 3.2V White LED

I haven't disassembled either HVAC or iDrive to verify, so take this purely as a guess based on knowledge of the cluster and the picture you nicely provided.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
M90THU
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagaer View Post
The larger LEDs are 2-SMD J-Lead, I imagine the smaller ones are also 2-SMD J-Lead, just in a smaller package.

If you have access to vernier calipers, you can measure the length and width to confirm the exact size.

Eyballing it compared to the known larger LED, my best guess is something like this: https://www.digikey.ca/product-detai...-2T-ND/2692123

2.2 x 1.4 mm, 2-SMD J-Lead, 3.2V White LED

I haven't disassembled either HVAC or iDrive to verify, so take this purely as a guess based on knowledge of the cluster and the picture you nicely provided.
Thanks
Appreciate 0