E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > thermostat issue?

10-03-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
s3ries
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17' M3

thermostat issue?

hello guys i tried searching on here and google..

i get reduced power, once the car reaches a specific temperature, ran the code and its comes up for thermostat ( dont remember exact code) but if i shut the car and turn it back on the half power goes away and continues to drive fine.

i recently did my oil filter housing gasket, and it only stared to occur after this, was there an issue with bleeding the coolant? or is it time to replace the thermostat again?

thermostat + water pump both replaced at 60k miles

car now has 103k miles

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 10:23 PM   #2
limitdown
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

Thermostat codes are only thrown for water thermostats. The oil thermostat is purely mechanical, and won't in itself throw a code. Even if the oil tstat fails, it would just result in high temps and high temp limp codes. No tstat codes.
If you suspect air bubbles in the coolant lines, you've already been driving the car around, so the bubbles would have all gone into the expansion tank. You can open the water expansion tank after the car cools overnight.
What is your oil temp showing? Do you have MHD to show water temps?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 08:22 AM   #3
s3ries
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitdown View Post
Thermostat codes are only thrown for water thermostats. The oil thermostat is purely mechanical, and won't in itself throw a code. Even if the oil tstat fails, it would just result in high temps and high temp limp codes. No tstat codes.
If you suspect air bubbles in the coolant lines, you've already been driving the car around, so the bubbles would have all gone into the expansion tank. You can open the water expansion tank after the car cools overnight.
What is your oil temp showing? Do you have MHD to show water temps?

i do not have MHD, nor any tune. the temperature gauge in the cluster, reaches normal temperature, just like before the engine codes. its less then the middle point which is what 250? im guessing i should just change the thermostat and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:18 AM   #4
s3ries
First Lieutenant
Rep

any help?
Appreciate 0