F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328d oil change difficulty?
proTUNING Freaks

10-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Black 330i xDrive

Garage List
328d oil change difficulty?

I?m sure there is a post somewhere but I figured it?d be quicker to just ask. Just got a quote from the dealer for 175 on an oil change and that?s a bit high it seems. This is my first BMW though. I?m decently mechanically inclined and have done gasoline oil changes and other stuff. Is it easier to just buy the supplies and do it or is it worth it to have the dealership do it?
      10-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Figueroa View Post
I?m sure there is a post somewhere but I figured it?d be quicker to just ask. Just got a quote from the dealer for 175 on an oil change and that?s a bit high it seems. This is my first BMW though. I?m decently mechanically inclined and have done gasoline oil changes and other stuff. Is it easier to just buy the supplies and do it or is it worth it to have the dealership do it?
It's extremely easy. The only hard part on the 328d is that the filter is at the back of the engine rather than front (as on the gasoline engines - although that might be different on the B48/B58). You have to pop off the engine cover, then the filter is visible near the back, next to the brake booster. You might have to purchase the correct filler wrench.

Be sure to use the correct LL-04 oil (several available), and the correct number of quarts. Drain is usually a 13 mm wrench (or 17 mm?). Total cost should be around $75.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Quick and easy. I have a fluid extractor I put in the dip stick.

Suck it all out

Remove oil filter right next to it

Suck out from filter housing

Install new filter and oil

Done.

No need to go under the car. Best investment ever! U can get a harbor freight hand pump for like 6 bucks. Does the job too.

Oil I got on a special at advance auto parts. 5 quarts and random filter for 25$. I had to get the BMW oil filter separate since it's not made by their generic brand one. Still cheaper than 10 bucks a quart.

Or you can go to FCP Euro's site and order the pictures and filter. Life time replacement so each time after I return the oil and filter and its free basically just pay for shipping back.
Appreciate 1
haagm58809.50
      10-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #4
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr78569 View Post

Suck it all out

Done.

No need to go under the car. Best investment ever! U can get a harbor freight hand pump for like 6 bucks. Does the job too.

Oil I got on a special at advance auto parts. 5 quarts and random filter for 25$. I had to get the BMW oil filter separate since it's not made by their generic brand one. Still cheaper than 10 bucks a quart.

Or you can go to FCP Euro's site and order the pictures and filter. Life time replacement so each time after I return the oil and filter and its free basically just pay for shipping back.
Quote:

Suck it all out

Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Quote:
It's extremely easy. The only hard part on the 328d is that the filter is at the back of the engine rather than front (as on the gasoline engines - although that might be different on the B48/B58). You have to pop off the engine cover, then the filter is visible near the back, next to the brake booster. You might have to purchase the correct filler wrench.

Be sure to use the correct LL-04 oil (several available), and the correct number of quarts. Drain is usually a 13 mm wrench (or 17 mm?). Total cost should be around $75.
Both are helpful! Thanks!
      10-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

I bought all my stuff on Amazon. Just did an oil change about a month ago.

Oil
Oil Filter
Drain Plug

Air Filter, if you're so inclined.
      10-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:

Suck it all out

Done.
Personally, I would never drain the old oil out that way. You will not get all the oil out, nor will you get the sedimentation that is sitting in the bottom of the sump.

The 'official' BMW kit includes a new sump plug washer or new sump plug (depending on year of car). Because that's the way it's supposed to be drained - through the sump plug.
Appreciate 1
haagm58809.50
      10-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Personally, I would never drain the old oil out that way. You will not get all the oil out, nor will you get the sedimentation that is sitting in the bottom of the sump.

The 'official' BMW kit includes a new sump plug washer or new sump plug (depending on year of car). Because that's the way it's supposed to be drained - through the sump plug.
There's arguments both ways really. Some say that sucking it out with a Pella will actually get more sediment. Other arguments say that you shouldn't really have any sediment if you're keeping up with your oil/filter changes (that's what I believe). People also say that when you use the Pella you can suck the oil out of the filter housing (true), which doesn't drain completely (also true).

I've done both but now find draining via the sump plug easier since I got some ramps. I don't think it really matters much, there are applications where the only option is using a Pella, and none of the problems appear that people claim happen when you vacuum the oil out... So which ever you prefer, go for it.
      10-06-2017, 12:08 AM   #8
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Quote:

Suck it all out

Done.

To each their own in my opinion. I like the fluid extractor better. Your able to ensure your engine has no leaks at the same time as well as get out probably more oil. When you keep taking the pug in and out its great u replace the plug but u wear the pan itself thus having to replace it over time which is expensive. Also the plug isn't magnetic so it really has no purpose other than stopping the oil. Also with the pan u have a lining of fluid from the drain still and the oil filter doesn't drain

With the fluid extractor u get it all out from the bottom of the pan as well as all the fluid from the oil filter. All while not having to lift,jack,ramp your car. Honestly sounds like a better option to me. But if you like that way better that's your choosing.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #9
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh also. Most dealers use fluid extractors. It's easier and quicker to do. Not all I'm sure but I have seen it. The kit comes with plugs for the DIY'ers and of course ones who raise it up
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #10
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep
Quote:

Suck it all out

Done.

It doesn't matter really. Has zero effect on longevity of the engine.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 06:12 PM   #11
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To each their own in my opinion. I like the fluid extractor better. Your able to ensure your engine has no leaks at the same time as well as get out probably more oil. When you keep taking the pug in and out its great u replace the plug but u wear the pan itself thus having to replace it over time which is expensive. Also the plug isn't magnetic so it really has no purpose other than stopping the oil. Also with the pan u have a lining of fluid from the drain still and the oil filter doesn't drain

With the fluid extractor u get it all out from the bottom of the pan as well as all the fluid from the oil filter. All while not having to lift,jack,ramp your car. Honestly sounds like a better option to me. But if you like that way better that's your choosing.
I change mine the same way. I got burned by a stripped plug and it cost me 2K in order to get a new oil pan after dealer stripped it from a previous oil change.

I make sure my engine is operating temp and the oil is hot, let it cool for about 15 min, then suck it all out. I basically get all that i put in as i have the measurements on the fluid extractor. 20 min tops for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #12
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanKM View Post
Quote:

I change mine the same way. I got burned by a stripped plug and it cost me 2K in order to get a new oil pan after dealer stripped it from a previous oil change.

I make sure my engine is operating temp and the oil is hot, let it cool for about 15 min, then suck it all out. I basically get all that i put in as i have the measurements on the fluid extractor. 20 min tops for me.
Bingo!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #13
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bingo!
I ended up having to take it in. I got the flyer off and when I got underneath to take the drain plug out, it just kept spinning so the owner before me probably tried to do it himself and stripped the pan. The dealership charged be roughly $205 for the oil change and all fluids including def fluid. They didn?t charge me anything for the new oil pan or the labor to install it. It took them a little over 8 hours to get it done.
      10-13-2017, 06:47 AM   #14
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bingo!
I ended up having to take it in. I got the flyer off and when I got underneath to take the drain plug out, it just kept spinning so the owner before me probably tried to do it himself and stripped the pan. The dealership charged be roughly $205 for the oil change and all fluids including def fluid. They didn?t charge me anything for the new oil pan or the labor to install it. It took them a little over 8 hours to get it done.
Nice! Sounds like you lucked out. But this is yet another reason why I use my fluid extractor. If/when the pan gets stripped, your hit with a uh-oh and a big bill.

And if ur doing it at home a big mess and disabled car.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 02:50 PM   #15
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're a lot luckier than I, i ended up pay for it all. You should buy a lottery ticket with that kind of luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #16
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
You're a lot luckier than I, i ended up pay for it all. You should buy a lottery ticket with that kind of luck!
It was because I bought it under CPO warranty roughly 2-3 months ago. If they would have done a fresh oil change prior to delivering the car, they would have found the issue and replace at their own cost anyway. How much did they charge you?
      10-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #17
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It was because I bought it under CPO warranty roughly 2-3 months ago. If they would have done a fresh oil change prior to delivering the car, they would have found the issue and replace at their own cost anyway. How much did they charge you?
2K. Included new pan and oil change and labor. FML.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #18
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
2K. Included new pan and oil change and labor. FML.
Damn that?s ridiculous!
      10-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #19
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just did a search for the cost of the oil pan itself and it is a $500 part, no including gaskets and bolts. $2000 is still crazy, but I didn't think that parts would be that expensive.
      10-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #20
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnecr View Post
Just did a search for the cost of the oil pan itself and it is a $500 part, no including gaskets and bolts. $2000 is still crazy, but I didn't think that parts would be that expensive.
Yeah the part then labor for the pan then oil change on top + tax. Was about 2K. Not fun.

So I just do it through fluid extractor and change acouple thousand before the car says I need to. Thought process being that the oil isn't as bad as waiting until it's due, so if there is a tiny bit left behind, it's not the end of the world. Has worked well for me so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #21
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon

It's a very easy oil change on the 328d. Just make sure to get the correct oil (as stated above - LL-04) and BMW oil filter. The 328d takes 5.5 quarts. BMW recommends every 10K miles - I change it at every 5K.

Not to say either way is right or wrong - I use the drain plug in the bottom of the oil pan without problem. The only time I have had an issue with a drain pan (on another BMW) having issues with the threading or plug was after an oil change done by a BMW dealership's service department (one of the oil changes that was covered under the first 4 years/50K miles...) They severely over tightened the drain plug and it fell apart when I took it out during the next oil change. Wouldn't have ever been a problem if I did all of the oil changes myself.

I also take the time under the car to inspect the inner side of the wheels/tires, suspension and other components while I'm there.
      10-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #22
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Experimental View Post
It's a very easy oil change on the 328d. Just make sure to get the correct oil (as stated above - LL-04) and BMW oil filter. The 328d takes 5.5 quarts. BMW recommends every 10K miles - I change it at every 5K.

Not to say either way is right or wrong - I use the drain plug in the bottom of the oil pan without problem. The only time I have had an issue with a drain pan (on another BMW) having issues with the threading or plug was after an oil change done by a BMW dealership's service department (one of the oil changes that was covered under the first 4 years/50K miles...) They severely over tightened the drain plug and it fell apart when I took it out during the next oil change. Wouldn't have ever been a problem if I did all of the oil changes myself.

I also take the time under the car to inspect the inner side of the wheels/tires, suspension and other components while I'm there.
You must have a different year. Mine only takes 5.2l and every 9k miles. But thanks It would have simple without the idiot before stripping the pan out.