THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Lighter alternator alternative?

09-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
BEEMeUp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Base

Lightbulb Lighter alternator alternative?

I'm looking to take out the stock OEM alternator for a lighter alternative (hey it all adds up right?) Figure this would be a quick way to drop 8-10 pounds (possibly)...

I've searched around these forums, but not found much info on the subject... hoping one of you crazy 'gram-strategists' might have some ideas.

My 228i's unit is about 16.5 lbs (7.48 kg) and has a 170 amp rating.

Any feedback is welcome.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I think there's more weight savings, in other areas.. Like the Battery itself, which is a huge opportunity for 10-15lbs of weight savings (never heard of lightweight alternators on German tuner car?), Sound Deadening/Insulation under the carpet is good for another 30-40lb (although the car will sound empty after, i would do a bucket seat before this), Lightweight wheels reduce 10lbs/corner on average. I can go all day..

That should keep you busy, for now
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

muffler removal for a straight pipe will get you like 15 lbs..

Remove rear seats.. Get lighter wheels and tires..
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Some can go on a diet and shave 50lbs too
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI716.00
      09-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
BEEMeUp
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
I think there's more weight savings, in other areas.. Like the Battery itself, which is a huge opportunity for 10-15lbs of weight savings (never heard of lightweight alternators on German tuner car?), Sound Deadening/Insulation under the carpet is good for another 30-40lb (although the car will sound empty after, i would do a bucket seat before this), Lightweight wheels reduce 10lbs/corner on average. I can go all day..

That should keep you busy, for now
Hi Dylan.. waaay ahead of you on most of these already.. battery replacement (check), sound-deadener (hell no, that's a non-starter for me.. its a BMW and I like my cabin 'coffin like'), front seat replacements (check), backseat delete (check), lightweight wheels/tires (check). There are a few others on my list of aftermarket goodies, but right now I'm trying to tackle some of the less obvious areas that most people just skip.

The goals are to keep as much of the comfort & structural integrity retained (hole cutting was mentioned on another forum, but that is a little too extreme for my tastes, but I may look at taking a stab down the road on non-structural members) while still getting the weight reduced overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
muffler removal for a straight pipe will get you like 15 lbs..

Remove rear seats.. Get lighter wheels and tires..
Bryan... I replaced my stock exhaust with an Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust and that little nugget got me a 10 lbs loss, but I'm trying to keep the overall sound more subtle/sleeper like, so no straight pipe for me in my future.

Seats (dun), wheels/tires (dun).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Some can go on a diet and shave 50lbs too
Pikacachu... I'm currently a buck-70 at 5' 11". If I drop any more I'll look like those skinless bodies you see at the science museums.

Utlimately I'm looking for some more 'unique' ideas. I'm fairly well versed on the basics, I'm now needing more 'nitty-gritty' ideas.
I've still got these items left of my to-do list... carbon hood, custom brake rotors and coilovers and will have those ready to go by next Spring.
Does anyone know if someone has done a carbon-fiber drive shaft? I haven't seen anything aftermarket, so I'm guessing this would be a custom job.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 07:04 AM   #6
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

Buy an E30 and gut it?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #7
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Sounds like you got all the basics done.

unbolt the metal bumpers (usually big weight savings, but obvious draw backs).
drop the windshield fluid reservoir

I used to be obsessed with weight in my other cars, but that's when I was more about lap times.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Not that any of this is easy or readily available, but carbon roof, carbon trunk, plastic windows.

Idk if any coilover kits use titanium springs or if that's even a thing. Something I always looked at for my mountain bike.

Even if they don't help the overall weight too much springs/coilovers would lower center of gravity.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 10:04 AM   #9
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Also when working on my car with my buddy he pointed out a couple big chunks of rubber/steel bolted to my frame and asked what they were. They were literally just a chunk of something bolted to the frame.

On closer inspection I noticed a specific #htz stamped on each one. My guess is that it's some sort of sound deadener to cancel out a vibration at that specific hertz.

I think they just unbolted. I wouldn't advise removing them, because I don't know "exactly" what they do, but maybe you could look into it.

Might be a couple lbs right there. I noticed 2 up front and 2 in back. There might be more hidden too. I wasn't looking too hard.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #10
BEEMeUp
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
Not that any of this is easy or readily available, but carbon roof, carbon trunk, plastic windows.

Idk if any coilover kits use titanium springs or if that's even a thing. Something I always looked at for my mountain bike.

Even if they don't help the overall weight too much springs/coilovers would lower center of gravity.
Regarding roof, trunk and windows... you are right, I've looked high and low for some aftermarket products that fit the bill, but no luck there. In regards to what option to tackle, that might be achievable from a custom standpoint, everyones bet would probably be on custom lexan/polycarb windows to replace the glass units. Still researching that bit and would be happy to hear from anyone whose used such a service in the past.

Coilovers are one of the upcoming updates I've got planned... and I've decided on the KW Coilover Kit V1's. Which based on my current setup, should shave an estimated 6 lbs off from the OEM's I'm replacing. Some friends say I should bump up to the V2's for tracking, but ultimately I'm trying for that 'happy medium' of stance/height adjustment, a slight stiffening and of course 'comfort' for those days I'm not tracking the car (which ultimately will be 90% of the time).

Last edited by BEEMeUp; 09-27-2017 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #11
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
Also when working on my car with my buddy he pointed out a couple big chunks of rubber/steel bolted to my frame and asked what they were. They were literally just a chunk of something bolted to the frame.

On closer inspection I noticed a specific #htz stamped on each one. My guess is that it's some sort of sound deadener to cancel out a vibration at that specific hertz.

I think they just unbolted. I wouldn't advise removing them, because I don't know "exactly" what they do, but maybe you could look into it.

Might be a couple lbs right there. I noticed 2 up front and 2 in back. There might be more hidden too. I wasn't looking too hard.
They do make a carbon roof for our car. Pricey, plus the windshield is broken during the install so you also have to pay for a new windshield.

Pretty sure our roof is already aluminium (along with hood) so weight saving would be minimal.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #12
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

There's always plenty to do, just depends on how far you're willing to go. You can gut various parts of the interior, like the dash, doors, trunk, center console, engine, etc. There's so much random plastic everywhere. As mentioned, you can take off the bumpers (aluminum?) or drill lots of holes. There are lighter brake calipers and 2-piece rotors, along with titanium lug nuts and magnesium wheels. I don't know about cutting the panels to put in CF versions, but I'm sure you can find CF doors in addition to the usual hood and trunk. You're already considering Lexan everywhere, so if you go this way, maybe take out window-related electronics. Speaking of electronics, all the stuff you don't use or need like heated seats, AC, radio, screen, washers, etc can be taken out. You can also drain your windshield washer so you don't have that sloshing around. So much more, and this is before doing any real custom fab work.

Just curious, where were the sound deadening weights placed? I want to rid my car of those.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #13
BEEMeUp
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Just curious, where were the sound deadening weights placed? I want to rid my car of those.
Honestly, I have no clue on that. I have NOT removed any of my sound deadening material because I like a quiet cab.

I do plan to see about hitting what's under the dash in the next coupla weeks to see what I can find that looks superfluous and can either be removed outright or at least 'shaved/reduced/re-wired'.
Appreciate 0