THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Uniden R1/R3 sensitivity?

09-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Uniden R1/R3 sensitivity?

Those of you with the new Uniden R1/R3 detectors, hows your sensitivity?

I think I have a dud because I keep ready and seeing Youtube vids on how this thing detects radar from miles away where with mine, I'm almost on top of the LEO.

What kind of results are you guys getting?

Anyone in the Balto Metro area have one were I can stop by to do a comparison to see if yours might be more/less sensitive to mine?
      09-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

In Baltimore County w/R1. I'm not really certain of any places that guarantee a speed trap. If you wanted to try to test early on a Sat. or Sun morning, maybe on 83 - let me know. Or if you want to exchange detectors for a week or so.

Have verified a .7 mile and two .5-mile detections that were NOT line of sight and there was a lot of interference of buildings, elevation and trees. I also think I had a laser warning, but never saw law enforcement.

I also think, but not really sure the mechanism, but that cops power down their guns for short range detection.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #3
crabu2
Captain
Rep

I'd love to test on 83, but I never see them running radar there.. At least north of 695. Do you think a LEO might leave his radar on at the detention center there in Towson?
      09-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
I'd love to test on 83, but I never see them running radar there.. At least north of 695. Do you think a LEO might leave his radar on at the detention center there in Towson?
No, I don't think so. It's weird because I check WAZE and have never seen a radar trap listed. Sometimes on Greenspring Ave. right before Quarry Lake during the day in the a.m. I see a speed trap.

Lets try to work something out. I'll check WAZE more often for speed traps.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
No, I don't think so. It's weird because I check WAZE and have never seen a radar trap listed. Sometimes on Greenspring Ave. right before Quarry Lake during the day in the a.m. I see a speed trap.

Lets try to work something out. I'll check WAZE more often for speed traps.
I grew up in Cockeysville... Wish Ofc Speed was still around. He use to run a trap on Padonia rd, between the cemetery and Dulaney, all the time.

BTW, that speed cam in front of the school on Smith Ave (Mt Washington).. do you know if that's radar or not?
      09-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
I grew up in Cockeysville... Wish Ofc Speed was still around. He use to run a trap on Padonia rd, between the cemetery and Dulaney, all the time.

BTW, that speed cam in front of the school on Smith Ave (Mt Washington).. do you know if that's radar or not?
That speed camera never sets my detector off, probably some sonar activation ?
Appreciate 0