F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bootmod3 dash/datalogging not working
GetBMWParts

09-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
DanM2C
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, 2013 BMW 328i xdrive

Bootmod3 dash/datalogging not working

Hey all. Not sure if this was the most appropriate forum to post in but since there are way more n55 bootmod users than n20/26,I figured someone here might know the answer.

I recently had my n26 ECU unlocked and installed bootmod3 93 octane OTS stage 2. Flashing the map went fine, no errors, and still need to Arno but butt dyno tells me there's a difference.

I want to use the dash/datalogging features of bootmod but so far I haven't been able to get the dash to work at all. No gauges show up at all. I am using my laptop connected to the OBD2 with a USB to Ethernet adapter. I have tried deleting my browser cache, deleting the https option for the web app and only using http, trying the iPhone app instead, using my home wifi, and using my cell phone as a hotspot. Still no gauges and datalogging records nothing.

I figure it might be an easy fix or something stupid I am missing. Anyone here have a similar problem and figure out the solution? Thanks ahead of time.
      09-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/servi...tomer/portal/1
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
DanM2C
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afranke View Post
Haha thanks for the link. I've been messaging back and forth with them but no luck so far. Just thought I'd also ask here to see if someone has had something similar happen and found the fix
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan328f30 View Post
Haha thanks for the link. I've been messaging back and forth with them but no luck so far. Just thought I'd also ask here to see if someone has had something similar happen and found the fix
Gotcha.

Well, lets cover the basics. Since you're on a laptop, is Java up to date? And the Agent software too?

You said the flash went alright without errors, does the non-Stock map show as active on the BM3 page?

Are you able to read/clear codes at all?

What type of computer and what OS? What browser?

Any error messages?
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh, also, you said "trying the iPhone app instead"

Do you have the standalone BM3 hardware agent device, or just the agent running on the laptop? I can make an assumption based on your statement, but that never seems to work out well.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #6
DanM2C
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha.

Well, lets cover the basics. Since you're on a laptop, is Java up to date? And the Agent software too?

You said the flash went alright without errors, does the non-Stock map show as active on the BM3 page?

Are you able to read/clear codes at all?

What type of computer and what OS? What browser?

Any error messages?
Java and agent software are the most update versions. All Adblock software is uninstalled. Java is set to run without warning as default.

The non stock map is set as active.

When I bring up the code reader, it looks like it is able to read but I do not have any codes right now so I can't be 100% sure.

Computer is a dell XPS - 2 years old I believe. It is running on windows 10. I am primarily using chrome but have tried Firefox and edge just to make sure.

EDIT: I have the agent running on the laptop. I do not have the standalone BM3 hardware agent device.

Also - thanks for the help it is much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #7
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

That all sounds good on the surface. I've used it on a Windows 10 VM on my Mac, I've used it directly on my Mac, and I've used it with the iPhone app and BM3 hardware agent. It seems they all have some issues at some point, which is why I've tried all three at various times.

Given your setup, the first thing I would want to verify is network connectivity. Since you have a USB->Ethernet and I don't, I can't easily replicate your setup, but if you look in the Network and Sharing Center and then "Change Adapter Settings" when you right-click on the USB adapter an go to Status then Details, what IP address do you have?

On the same area if you do Status -> Properties -> Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) -> Properties, what are the settings? Ideally, they should be set automatically.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #8
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

Also, you have tried a fresh restart? Make sure you don't have any ghosted Java processes running (has happened to me) by either restarting the entire machine, or killing all the "java" processes in Task Manager.

And, disable Windows Firewall, if not already done.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      09-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #9
DanM2C
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That all sounds good on the surface. I've used it on a Windows 10 VM on my Mac, I've used it directly on my Mac, and I've used it with the iPhone app and BM3 hardware agent. It seems they all have some issues at some point, which is why I've tried all three at various times.

Given your setup, the first thing I would want to verify is network connectivity. Since you have a USB->Ethernet and I don't, I can't easily replicate your setup, but if you look in the Network and Sharing Center and then "Change Adapter Settings" when you right-click on the USB adapter an go to Status then Details, what IP address do you have?

On the same area if you do Status -> Properties -> Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) -> Properties, what are the settings? Ideally, they should be set automatically.
The IP address of the connection is 169.254.150.216

The TCP/IPv4 are set automatically

EDIT: Windows firewall was not disabled. Dumb me. Im going to give it a try and let you know. I have tried a fresh restart.
      09-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #10
DanM2C
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just tried with the windows firewall disabled after a fresh restart. Still no luck.

Gauges do not appear when I go to the dash tab. If I go to settings, there are no options under "gauges"
      09-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #11
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

That's so weird...it seems you're connected, but that part just isn't functioning. Does the BM3 page (I find Chrome works best) show the car as connected at all? If you go to the "OBD Agent" section do you see anything there?

How far are you willing to dive into this? Ever heard of a "packet capture" before? You think you're technically inclined enough to install a program called "Wireshark" and send me a capture?

Basically, install the program (https://www.wireshark.org), open it, double click on the USB interface, try to connect to the car and view the dash/diags a few times, hit the stop button at the top and save/send me the capture file.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #12
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

Hold that....I just logged into my account on a computer that has never had the agent software installed.

To verify, you are saying when you log into the BM3 page, click on "Dashboard" on the left side and then click the gear in the upper right, you see nothing?

That ain't right, I get plenty. If you log into the BM3 app on the iPhone using cellular and not WiFi, do you see the same?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #13
DanM2C
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's so weird...it seems you're connected, but that part just isn't functioning. Does the BM3 page (I find Chrome works best) show the car as connected at all? If you go to the "OBD Agent" section do you see anything there?

How far are you willing to dive into this? Ever heard of a "packet capture" before? You think you're technically inclined enough to install a program called "Wireshark" and send me a capture?

Basically, install the program (https://www.wireshark.org), open it, double click on the USB interface, try to connect to the car and view the dash/diags a few times, hit the stop button at the top and save/send me the capture file.
Agreed - Ive gotta be missing something. The BM3 page does show the car is connected and when I run the OBD agent test, it says "OBD agent up and running".

Not sure if this is any help, but this is the OBD agent readout when I try to run the dash:

2017-09-17 15:48:04,432 INFO - Agent start dash offline request incoming
2017-09-17 15:48:04,432 INFO - Got STREAM request for diag offline
2017-09-17 15:48:04,432 INFO - Channels count: 0 for vin WBA3B5G51DNP40622
2017-09-17 15:48:04,432 INFO - Starting streaming for vehicle WBA3B5G51DNP40622
      09-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #14
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Agreed - Ive gotta be missing something. The BM3 page does show the car is connected and when I run the OBD agent test, it says "OBD agent up and running".

Not sure if this is any help, but this is the OBD agent readout when I try to run the dash:

2017-09-17 15:48:04,432 INFO - Agent start dash offline request incoming
2017-09-17 15:48:04,432 INFO - Got STREAM request for diag offline
2017-09-17 15:48:04,432 INFO - Channels count: 0 for vin WBA3B5G51DNP40622
2017-09-17 15:48:04,432 INFO - Starting streaming for vehicle WBA3B5G51DNP40622
I mean, that's what I see when I start mine too (at least it seems close, I'm not in front of it right now). I'm almost leaning towards an account problem with your BM3 account.

My account shows the gauge settings no matter where I log in, even if there's no agent ever present. If you're doesn't do the same, that's a problem. Not sure if you feel like it, but if you want to temporarily change your password and DM me, I can try to log in to your account on my machine to verify the behavior.

Or go find a friend with a totally different computer/iPhone and network and check the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #15
DanM2C
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hold that....I just logged into my account on a computer that has never had the agent software installed.

To verify, you are saying when you log into the BM3 page, click on "Dashboard" on the left side and then click the gear in the upper right, you see nothing?

That ain't right, I get plenty. If you log into the BM3 app on the iPhone using cellular and not WiFi, do you see the same?

Yes, that is exactly what is happening. When I click the "dashboard" tab nothing appears and when I click the gear, I see a screen that says :

Dash Config
Reset Defaults
Units - there is a working option pulldown for this
Pressure - there is a working option pulldown for this
Gauges - nothing shows up here
      09-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #16
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

I just noticed the "Channels count: 0" I'm pretty sure that's part of our issue. I can't check until later today, but I think there should be a usable number there.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 02:58 PM   #17
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that is exactly what is happening. When I click the "dashboard" tab nothing appears and when I click the gear, I see a screen that says :

Dash Config
Reset Defaults
Units - there is a working option pulldown for this
Pressure - there is a working option pulldown for this
Gauges - nothing shows up here
I suggest trying to log in on some other machine and network that has never been used and see if that issue persists. If it does, I think PTF needs to start looking at your account or something. For an example, here's a screenshot I just took on my iMac, which has certainly never been in the garage or attached to the car/agent:
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #18
DanM2C
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks again for all the help. Ill DM you in a sec with the login info.

Agreed that the channels count: 0 is strange. Makes it sound like it is not reading anything or that the ECU flash is not allowing the parameters required for the gauges to be read.

With regards to the possibility that it is an account problem, ill definitely let the PTF guys know.
      09-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #19
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah dude, it's an account problem or something. I logged out of my account and into yours with the provided credentials, and I see the same, no options for gauges:
View post on imgur.com

So, go ahead and change your password (I don't want to bear any responsibility for any accounts I don't own ) and update PTF with what we found. Feel free to use my comparison screenshots to illustrate the issue.

EDIT: I think the 0 is coming FROM the site to the ECU, and the agent/network are working properly. Garbage in, garbage out. 0 gauges in the site, 0 gauges to stream.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 03:08 PM   #20
DanM2C
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah dude, it's an account problem or something. I logged out of my account and into yours with the provided credentials, and I see the same, no options for gauges:
View post on imgur.com

So, go ahead and change your password (I don't want to bear any responsibility for any accounts I don't own ) and update PTF with what we found. Feel free to use my comparison screenshots to illustrate the issue.
Great - thanks man. Much appreciated. Ill update everyone when we figure it out.
      04-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #21
1SLO4G
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDRIVE

Quote:
Great - thanks man. Much appreciated. Ill update everyone when we figure it out.
Did you fix it? I'm having the same problem.
      04-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SLO4G View Post
Did you fix it? I'm having the same problem.
Did you contact PTF?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0