THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Aftermarket amp location?

09-12-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C MT, '15 X5 Msport

Aftermarket amp location?

Where have you guys put aftermarket amps? I'd like to add a sub to the trunk but haven't found a nice home for the amp. I've searched and searched but all I've found are threads where people have replaced the stock amp. I've seen several pics of folks with subs in the back so I hope there is some guidance out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:00 PM   #2
Pnorth
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M235i & X1 2.0d

Garage List
Viffermike has got a great installation guide of replacing, but his placing of the amp should work fine in any case. An alternative is down in the compartment together with the battery. Have a look here:

This is a great installer from Hamburg, Germany. Been there myself for great alarm system and getting the same set up as here.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks for the info. That was the only place I thought an amp would fit. I'm just nervous about a vertical install in an enclosed space.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #4
Pnorth
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M235i & X1 2.0d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlb5 View Post
thanks for the info. That was the only place I thought an amp would fit. I'm just nervous about a vertical install in an enclosed space.

I hear you, but they wouldn't keep doing it if it didn't work and know what they were doing - and they've been doing it for years. And if you still don't think so, there's always the alternative to do like Viffermike - make holes but put the amp inside and use to holes as breathers.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlb5 View Post
Where have you guys put aftermarket amps? I'd like to add a sub to the trunk but haven't found a nice home for the amp. I've searched and searched but all I've found are threads where people have replaced the stock amp. I've seen several pics of folks with subs in the back so I hope there is some guidance out there.
Here's my amp install thread. All I did was mount the amp above where the OEM amp lives. Pretty simple, really.

This thread from Zooks527 is also a good one -- in fact, I used it while researching my own amp install. It goes into removing the OEM amp (what I assume you mean by "people have replaced the stock amp" above) and re-mounting the ASD module (it cannot be removed from the signal path); there is quite a bit of space in that corner once the OEM amp and its brackets are removed.

I've also seen amps mounted to the rear-right wheel well (probably not OK if it weighs too much) and (believe it or not) vertically on the back of the rear seat.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

You can also get small muffin fans for computers that run on 12v, quiet and they are shielded so they don't put out a lot of electrical interference - some are only an inch or so across, and would work nicely for supplemental cooling. May not be super sturdy for long term, since designed to live inside a desktop, but they don't cost much (perhaps somebody sells these specific for auto environment). We used to use the 120v versions for custom built-in stereo systems (back when the dinosaurs ruled the earth). I'm a big believer that excess heat is what eventually kills most electronics.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
barfastic
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport Pack

Garage List
interesting...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #8
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Do any of you guys know the right part #'s to plug into the battery distribution block for 12V+ to an aftermarket amp?
Appreciate 0