F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2018 F30 Cognac vs Saddle Brown Dakota Leather
Extreme Powerhouse

09-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
Matteo88
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 6MT ZUP

2018 F30 Cognac vs Saddle Brown Dakota Leather

does anyone know if this is the same leather that they're just giving a different name to? the 2017s offered saddle brown and i've seen this in person. 2017s aren't being built anymore and 2018s offer cognac in its place.

having trouble comparing these colours in photos.
- 2003 RSX Type S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
German Straight-6
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 328i & F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo88 View Post
does anyone know if this is the same leather that they're just giving a different name to? the 2017s offered saddle brown and i've seen this in person. 2017s aren't being built anymore and 2018s offer cognac in its place.

having trouble comparing these colours in photos.
they're different tones. the cognac is more of a yellow/gold brown while the saddle is just brown.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

i have seen both, they are not significantly different, as noted above the cognac has a bit more of a gold tone to it

In my opinion they are functionally the same, if you like saddle you are not going to have a storng negative opinion cognac. I was originally planning saddle but when they switched to cognac that is what i ordered on my 18. cant speak for everyone tho
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

I have saddle brown and find it more to be more of an orange brown. Here's a pic of my interior after a new screen install.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkHKmnTUFIO1g5BMe01F4GbYGHkNgg

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkHKmnTUFIO1gtRUlOKIbL7R6yNNaQ

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
Matteo88
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
I have saddle brown and find it more to be more of an orange brown. Here's a pic of my interior after a new screen install.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkHKmnTUFIO1g5BMe01F4GbYGHkNgg

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkHKmnTUFIO1gtRUlOKIbL7R6yNNaQ

looks great jeff thanks for sharing. the tough thing is that some colours look drastically different in photos coral red, for example. i'd be putting it in the estoril blue with the matte blue highlight inside. i notice your glovebox is brown too... on the 340i configurator (bmw.ca) which is still showing 2017 models, it gives you a black glovebox even if you have the brown interior. still waiting patiently for bmw.ca to catch up :@
- 2003 RSX Type S 6MT
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      09-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #6
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
looks great jeff thanks for sharing. the tough thing is that some colours look drastically different in photos coral red, for example. i'd be putting it in the estoril blue with the matte blue highlight inside. i notice your glovebox is brown too... on the 340i configurator (bmw.ca) which is still showing 2017 models, it gives you a black glovebox even if you have the brown interior. still waiting patiently for bmw.ca to catch up :@
Happy to help and you made one hell of a point; not only the pic saturation but the monitor can make or break ANY color mate! Good call.

My next car will be an Estoril Blue as well...just a personal opinion but I would think a red or black interior would match best. Brown and blue to me just don't mix well but then again, I am comparing it to my color interior. If it IS in fact that darker brown you are looking at, go for it!!! These are the times where you sit back and have fun deciding; enjoy the process!

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #7
Matteo88
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Happy to help and you made one hell of a point; not only the pic saturation but the monitor can make or break ANY color mate! Good call.

My next car will be an Estoril Blue as well...just a personal opinion but I would think a red or black interior would match best. Brown and blue to me just don't mix well but then again, I am comparing it to my color interior. If it IS in fact that darker brown you are looking at, go for it!!! These are the times where you sit back and have fun deciding; enjoy the process!
argh, thanks for that curve ball lol. i was actually dead set on the blue on the red--loved both individually but a dealer near me was actually able to show me the colour combo and i just wasn't in love with it. i know there are a lot of folks with the "superman" look but i just didn't love it... didn't hate it either tho. blue looks good on black--i test drove one with that had black interior with the matte blue--looked great but don't want to burn my @ss on black interior in the summer. also drove a car with black interior for 5 years. just wondering if the matte blue trim is gonna work with cognac. blue on cognac should theoretically work... it's like wearing khakis with a blue dress shirt--everyone does that!
- 2003 RSX Type S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #8
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo88
Quote:

argh, thanks for that curve ball lol. i was actually dead set on the blue on the red--loved both individually but a dealer near me was actually able to show me the colour combo and i just wasn't in love with it. i know there are a lot of folks with the "superman" look but i just didn't love it... didn't hate it either tho. blue looks good on black--i test drove one with that had black interior with the matte blue--looked great but don't want to burn my @ss on black interior in the summer. also drove a car with black interior for 5 years. just wondering if the matte blue trim is gonna work with cognac. blue on cognac should theoretically work... it's like wearing khakis with a blue dress shirt--everyone does that!
This curve ball is no longer curved! Never crossed my mind that these cars do not have ventilated nor perforated seats. Black will burn ya. As for the red interior, yep, now all I see I Superman so that's out for me now, thanks

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 09:59 PM   #9
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Quote:

I think blue and red looks pretty awesome. Definitely a statement. I think it would work. Not for me... hahah. But I like it.
Appreciate 0