BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

How to hide EZ Pass?

I keep my EZ Pass in my drivers door but would love to find a way to integrate it somewhere.....would it work if it were behind my headliner?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

I tucked it in the headliner.....now I will just have to see if it works.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee View Post
I tucked it in the headliner.....now I will just have to see if it works.
How'd you do that? Just pull it back and put it in there?

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
How'd you do that? Just pull it back and put it in there?
pulled down the sunroof switch, etc. and stuck it up there.....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #5
emergent
not a poof
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Monte Carlo Blue X5M

please let me know if this worked
      05-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
Seth_Horwitz
Tired of feather footed //M drivers
Rep
Drives: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50

I know some guys from another board took the EZ Pass apart, and put the innards inside of the rear view mirror housing. They claimed it worked, but I didn't have the balls to try it. I don't exactly slow down when going through that lane, so the gate almost scrapes my roof as is. I'd rather not crash through it. I guess the best way to test it is to go through a Cash + EZ Pass lane, and just pay the guy if it doesn't register. I got EZ Pass so I wouldn't have to wait on that line, and am always late wherever I'm going, so I never got around to trying it. Unless the plastic of the mirror housing is substantially thicker and denser than the EZ Pass case (I bet it's actually thinner), I don't see why it wouldn't work. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth_Horwitz View Post
I know some guys from another board took the EZ Pass apart, and put the innards inside of the rear view mirror housing. They claimed it worked, but I didn't have the balls to try it. I don't exactly slow down when going through that lane, so the gate almost scrapes my roof as is. I'd rather not crash through it. I guess the best way to test it is to go through a Cash + EZ Pass lane, and just pay the guy if it doesn't register. I got EZ Pass so I wouldn't have to wait on that line, and am always late wherever I'm going, so I never got around to trying it. Unless the plastic of the mirror housing is substantially thicker and denser than the EZ Pass case (I bet it's actually thinner), I don't see why it wouldn't work. Good luck.
Ill give it a try assuming it is easy to get the rear view mirror apart. Thanks for the idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

It didn't work in the headliner. Anyone ever taken the rear view mirror and/or the actual EZ Pass badge?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

I took my dremel tool to my EZ Pass and ended up having to cut around the entire device to get to the inside. It is still about the same overall size, just alot skinnier....any suggestions on where I can put this and still have it function correctly? Anyone removed the center speaker on the dash?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

So I've been told now on some roads they are timing you on with your EZ Pass to see if you have been speeding, then they mail you a ticket.
      05-31-2008, 03:54 PM   #11
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
So I've been told now on some roads they are timing you on with your EZ Pass to see if you have been speeding, then they mail you a ticket.
Huh? Between toll booths? No way. Who told you that?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 04:22 PM   #12
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

yep that's what I heard. they are timing you between toll booths. A friend of a friend said he got a ticket in the mail after driving on the NY Thruway to quickly between EZ Pass toll booths.
      05-31-2008, 04:24 PM   #13
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

At least that was the story I was told... Not sure if anyone else has any info on this?
      05-31-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

On further research though I'm having trouble confirming any of this is true.... I've seen stuff claiming this is just a rumor traveling the internet. I would imagine it would be difficult to hold up in court since they would have no idea exactly how fast you were driving at any specific time, or if someone else was driving your vehicle....
      05-31-2008, 05:16 PM   #15
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

Let's bring this back on topic, please. Any suggestions for where to embed the RFID panel?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 06:00 PM   #16
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Let's bring this back on topic, please. Any suggestions for where to embed the RFID panel?
+1

My only question here is, what if you didn't want it to register all the time? I mean there is no on/off button and the only way is to place the EZ Pass/Sun Pass (which ever) into the special shinny bag.
If you integrate it into your car you will have no choice but to electronically pay the toll everytime. No?

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 09:26 PM   #17
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
+1

My only question here is, what if you didn't want it to register all the time? I mean there is no on/off button and the only way is to place the EZ Pass/Sun Pass (which ever) into the special shinny bag.
If you integrate it into your car you will have no choice but to electronically pay the toll everytime. No?
For me, I do want to register all of the time. I only go through areas in NoVA like the Dulles Toll Road and in Richmond through the Powhite Pkwy....its a 1 or MAYBE 2 toll area....I'd have no reason to NOT want it to register every time.....also, we have no "shiny bag" for the EZ Pass...it's only that large bulky white plastic case.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 11:39 PM   #18
Seth_Horwitz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT. This rumor has floated for years, and has never been substantiated. I can print out my EZ-Pass receipt, and show you stretches where I have AVERAGED 85+ MPH. (That means most of the time I was over 100mph.) The A.C.L.U. was all over EZ-Pass's ass when they announced that they would time-stamp reads, and EZ-Pass basically had to promise that they wouldn't use the time stamps for calculating average speed, or issuing tickets. (The math is pretty easy) HOWEVER, you CAN get a warning for speeding through the EZ-Pass booth. I know people who have gotten that warning in the mail, I never have myself and I've hit 'em at 50 mph, but never from a point-to-point speeding calculation.

Back on topic, I think the internals may have been changed on the EZ-Pass. My understanding, from the guys who I heard put them in their mirror, was that the internals were very small. Maybe a new circuit board is being used than had been in the past. I think some states still offer the license plate mounted EZ-Pass, and the internals on that may be more compact. You've already hacked up one pass, but it could be worth trying. Let us know how it goes.

EDIT: It's not even legal to do such a thing in NY.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/ezpass.asp

Last edited by Seth_Horwitz; 06-01-2008 at 01:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #19
ShiftCTRL
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: White/Black 2008 M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
idea

I've been thinking about this for a while, I'm going to take apart my EZ Pass, and attempt to either extend or integrate the antenna with the stock antenna. Once I will post my results once i get around to doing this, hopefully this week.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #20
Seth_Horwitz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftCTRL View Post
I've been thinking about this for a while, I'm going to take apart my EZ Pass, and attempt to either extend or integrate the antenna with the stock antenna. Once I will post my results once i get around to doing this, hopefully this week.
Cool. Take some pictures as you go along.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #21
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftCTRL View Post
Any progress? I found what i thought would be a good solution.....I tucked the insides of my EZPass inside of the visor CD holder so I could just flip it down as i went through the toll booth....it didn't work today but I will try again tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #22
Seth_Horwitz
Rep

Quote:
Any progress? I found what i thought would be a good solution.....I tucked the insides of my EZPass inside of the visor CD holder so I could just flip it down as i went through the toll booth....it didn't work today but I will try again tomorrow.
Please step back from the vehicle ... and remove the cheeseball visor CD holder. I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist.
Appreciate 0