BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Where have all the threads gone?

08-31-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Where have all the threads gone?

Cleaning up the litter box is one thing, but holy crap, I can't find anything I was following.....like moving furniture around on a blind person!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 05:34 PM   #2
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

You'll have to click on New Posts at the top of the browser window and sort through a bunch of posts you'd never read anyway. I rarely go to any of M2 Technical Topics, so this change will waste a lot of my time - but it's not my site, so who am I to complain?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Subscribe to threads and use your User CP like any good Vbulletin user
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 06:20 PM   #4
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Feel free to let me know if deemed appropriate to move (back) some thread from this general M2 section to a specific M2 section and vice versa, now or in the future. I'll gladly help dispatching to the proper section.

Please note that the popular "What did you do to your M2 today?" thread is now a sticky.
krizze928.00
AndyinHou479.00
      08-31-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Thanks Artemis, just too much at once for my small brain to comprehend. Not sure how to subscribe to a thread, was just keeping up based on a mental time calendar basis.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 08:17 PM   #6
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Thanks Artemis, just too much at once for my small brain to comprehend. Not sure how to subscribe to a thread, was just keeping up based on a mental time calendar basis.

You can always set it to subscribe to thread whenever you reply to it (even have options to send immediate email notification if someone responds to said thread)
Appreciate 1
M2Nebula547.50
      08-31-2017, 10:11 PM   #7
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
I appreciate the housekeeping, drove me nuts seeing some thread about watches in the middle of the "General M2 talk" section when there is already a separate off-topic section for that kind of stuff.

[edit] Looks like that's just on the 2nd page, wasn't moved... I don't get why people find it so hard to place their thread into an appropriate category though. Maybe it's due to the garbage mobile apps?
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 04:59 AM   #8
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
I appreciate the housekeeping, drove me nuts seeing some thread about watches in the middle of the "General M2 talk" section when there is already a separate off-topic section for that kind of stuff.
[edit] Looks like that's just on the 2nd page, wasn't moved... I don't get why people find it so hard to place their thread into an appropriate category though. Maybe it's due to the garbage mobile apps?
The referenced thread is now moved to the "Watches" section: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1364317 Can be moved back to this 'General' section by public demand. Feel free to subscribe to that thread, if interested.

Basic rationale: if someone starts a discussion about for example a specific tire, that thread will rather quickly get 'undersnowed' in the 'General' Section over time, except if regularly bumped. However, if that thread is posted or moved to the 'Wheels / Tires' section, it gets easier retrieved, attract feedback from those who know most about tires and may help out someone looking for that information, either now or in the future.

We all see from time to time (especially new) forum fellows posting that they didn't find information about a specific topic, despite having been debated at length (sometimes in the 'General' section). And then there are also those obvious or masked 'for sale' posts posted in the 'General' section: those posts belong in the 'Classifieds' section. Etc.

On the other hand, this ain't neither a science board, nor a university library. It's not appropriate to 'pigeon hole' each and every thread outside the 'General' section. Otherwise the 'General' section could become a cold, barren place. It's the most visited section with lots of variety, some kind of automotive info harbour or port of call. Most forum fellows don't even check specific sections, except when looking for an answer about a specific topic. Got to keep that in mind too. Inevitably a lot of overlap (for example personal build threads: usually general, tuning, photos & videos, etc.).

Hence an indulgent compromise: keep almost all, but move what mainly belongs in a specific section. Unfortunately, it's impossible to please everyone. Let's face it, you can keep your car tools lying around everywhere inside your house, but probably your garage (if any) may be the best place to store them, no ?

In case you wouldn't know: to access the central menu showing all M2 sections (http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/index.php?):
  • desktop version: click on the small house icon or big M2 icon, both on the upper left hand side;
  • mobile version : click on the "Home" tab at the top.
And last but not least: do not hesitate to make suggestions, provide feedback.
bobert858.50
      09-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

I for one welcome the cleanup, it's long overdue. I never understood why so many random threads were in here that have nothing to do with the M2. Also, if I go to the Wheels/Tires section and search for something, but am unable to find it. I then have to revert to google only to find a thread buried under general.
Appreciate 3
Dackelone10606.50
bobert858.50
Artemis29653.50
      09-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

New sheriff is cleaning up
      09-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #11
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The referenced thread is now moved to the "Watches" section: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1364317 Can be moved back to this 'General' section by public demand. Feel free to subscribe to that thread, if interested.

Basic rationale: if someone starts a discussion about for example a specific tire, that thread will rather quickly get 'undersnowed' in the 'General' Section over time, except if regularly bumped. However, if that thread is posted or moved to the 'Wheels / Tires' section, it gets easier retrieved, attract feedback from those who know most about tires and may help out someone looking for that information, either now or in the future.

We all see from time to time (especially new) forum fellows posting that they didn't find information about a specific topic, despite having been debated at length (sometimes in the 'General' section). And then there are also those obvious or masked 'for sale' posts posted in the 'General' section: those posts belong in the 'Classifieds' section. Etc.

On the other hand, this ain't neither a science board, nor a university library. It's not appropriate to 'pigeon hole' each and every thread outside the 'General' section. Otherwise the 'General' section could become a cold, barren place. It's the most visited section with lots of variety, some kind of automotive info harbour or port of call. Most forum fellows don't even check specific sections, except when looking for an answer about a specific topic. Got to keep that in mind too. Inevitably a lot of overlap (for example personal build threads: usually general, tuning, photos & videos, etc.).

Hence an indulgent compromise: keep almost all, but move what mainly belongs in a specific section. Unfortunately, it's impossible to please everyone. Let's face it, you can keep your car tools lying around everywhere inside your house, but probably your garage (if any) may be the best place to store them, no ?

In case you wouldn't know: to access the central menu showing all M2 sections (http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/index.php?):
  • desktop version: click on the small house icon or big M2 icon, both on the upper left hand side;
  • mobile version : click on the "Home" tab at the top.
And last but not least: do not hesitate to make suggestions, provide feedback.
For some reason, I feel as if putting threads into specific categorical forums lessens discussion by alot simply because it's not convinient.

I mean, I know it doesn't take much to browse, but I am willing to bet that most people won't browse outside of the general discussion because it requires too much work and it's way too specific. I mean, yeah it's not much work, but never underestimate how lazy people can be.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17545.50
M2Nebula547.50
      09-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #12
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post
For some reason, I feel as if putting threads into specific categorical forums lessens discussion by alot simply because it's not convinient.
This is why Discourse, Vanilla, Flarum and NodeBB (new forum software) all put a focus on ALL and allow people to filter by Category.

The Bike thread is a good example of something I would have loved to participate in but as soon as something like that is moved chances are I'm not going to.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #13
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I for one welcome the cleanup, it's long overdue. I never understood why so many random threads were in here that have nothing to do with the M2. Also, if I go to the Wheels/Tires section and search for something, but am unable to find it. I then have to revert to google only to find a thread buried under general.
Feeling's mutual here.

The "BMW M2 Discussions" section ('General Section') already contains 2400 threads. Grows like ivy. Upon taking a closer look, plenty of threads can be moved to more dedicated sections. Several threads inevitably tackle exactly the same questions. As it ain't appropriate for the 'General Section' to become some kind of dumpster, it's about time to clean out the Augean stables, now that it's still materially feasible (though it's a pretty time consuming operation, also because some thread titles barely reveal the contents). Will make some time during the forthcoming weeks/months to gradually move old threads eligible to be moved from the deep(er) vaults, and will give my best efforts to be consistent in dispatching choices. So in the forthcoming period this 'General Section' is gonna be put on a diet.

But in order not to upset/disorient forum fellows, I will refrain from further moving threads (either new or bumped) in this 'General Section' featuring comments younger than one month (except for threads with classifieds). By doing so, the first pages of the General Section won't look 'stripped' and some debate can take place in this 'entrance room' section. But after a month or later, the thread risks to be moved to its proper section if that's deemed appropriate, with the 'move' link still present in this 'General Section' for another month. IMHO that's a fair compromise. In the end you may appreciate all these efforts whenever searching for a specific answer about a specific topic, avoids asking the very same question for, say, the fifth time, or require you to trawl through way too many search results.

Of course, sometimes there is overlap in topics, so choices gotta be made. IMHO the lead question should be: what section would be your first choice to check when looking for this kind of information ? A couple of examples:"They told me that all the weakness and disorientation should pass soon. It's just natural side effects of such an unusually long hypersleep, or something like that..."
Dackelone10606.50
      09-03-2017, 06:57 PM   #14
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
...Can be moved back to this 'General' section by public demand...
The peoples' moderator
Appreciate 0