E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 330xi Engine Dies Immediately

05-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
jvose
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 330xi & '08 335xi

330xi Engine Dies Immediately

I have a 2004 330xi with about 50k miles.

The other night, the driver side tail lights went out so I found the ground wire burned off inside the plug. Apparently, it's a known problem with the 3 series and BMW sells a repair kit. I did the simple wire and plug replacement and all the lights worked fine.

That next morning, I goto start the car. It starts but immediately dies like it won't idle and check engine light is on. I start again but keep my foot on the gas and it keeps running but as soon as I let off, it dies.

The mechanic said the code was a bad Air Mass Sensor so they replaced it. He drove the car for 4 or 5 miles and no problem. I goto pick it up, started fine, idled fine. I pay the bill, come back and the same exact problem as I described above. Mechanic is baffled and so am I. I'm not looking fwd to buying another $389 sensor!

Any ideas? Any possibility of a larger electrical problem from me screwing around with the rear tail light? I wouldn't think there is a connection but the timing sure is coincidental!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvose View Post
I have a 2004 330xi with about 50k miles.

The other night, the driver side tail lights went out so I found the ground wire burned off inside the plug. Apparently, it's a known problem with the 3 series and BMW sells a repair kit. I did the simple wire and plug replacement and all the lights worked fine.

That next morning, I goto start the car. It starts but immediately dies like it won't idle and check engine light is on. I start again but keep my foot on the gas and it keeps running but as soon as I let off, it dies.

The mechanic said the code was a bad Air Mass Sensor so they replaced it. He drove the car for 4 or 5 miles and no problem. I goto pick it up, started fine, idled fine. I pay the bill, come back and the same exact problem as I described above. Mechanic is baffled and so am I. I'm not looking fwd to buying another $389 sensor!

Any ideas? Any possibility of a larger electrical problem from me screwing around with the rear tail light? I wouldn't think there is a connection but the timing sure is coincidental!
You're posting about an E46 on an E90 forum. You will have better luck on E46fanatic since they actually own your generation of 3'er. Best of luck to you. At least it doesn't sound too bad, like a blown rod or anything of that nature.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
jvose
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 330xi & '08 335xi

Doh! I forgot to switch boards after I was reading some things on my E90. Sorry about that guys, my bad.

Turns out it was an idle air control motor not an air mass sensor (the code being thrown was deceiving.
Appreciate 0