BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-12-2008, 01:27 AM   #1
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Exclamation Is this proper wear and tear on a tire? Or alignment problem?(PICS)

Does this look like a wheel alignment issue or is it just normal wear on the rear wheels? Or even just too much pressure( i put 36 all around)? I usually replace my wheels every year and only put on 5-6,000 miles annually. Car right now has 25,000 miles and wheels have been replaced 5-6 times and was bought in Dec. 2004 brand new. Is this normal. meaning does everyone else get the same wear and tear on their wheels like mine? Here are a few pics:

Right Rear Tire:

Left Rear Tire:

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #2
Acheron
I just wanna go fast mamma!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Shelby GT500/1985 318i

It looks like on the right side your toe is slightly off, though it could be camber too. Left side is slightly out of alignment though. My .02 cents, but go to have an alignment place to have it completely checked out to see exactly what is wrong.

*The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.*
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 01:55 AM   #3
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

Looks like you've got excessive camber wear. Get an alignment and periodic check your pressures.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
composed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Hey Takumi :

Wear on the center of your tread is typically due to over-inflation. Wear due to camber and toe, such as those specs on an M3, typically occurs on the inside edge of the tire. Hard to tell precisely from the pics, but if the amount of tread left on both sides of the tire is about the same and the center is bald, I would assume over-inflation. If you are running 36 psi cold, then that might be a little much. Check the driver side door jamb sticker for the correct pressures for the car and use those (I would only change pressures for certain specific applications). My properly aligned E46 M3 with both stock and modified suspension always wore more on the inside edges of the rear tires.

Like the advice given above, have an alignment/tire shop check it out for you. Stay safe!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
composed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

here's a good diagram i found to illustrate... from this website -

http://www.anwaninternational.com/tyreinfo1.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by composed View Post
here's a good diagram i found to illustrate... from this website -

http://www.anwaninternational.com/tyreinfo1.html
none of those apply
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

that is DEF not camber problem....

36 cold sounds pretty good..... IF your gauge is right.... most are off...

i say do some comparison on dif gauges.... yours could be off up to 10psi... so u could be running 46psi cold.. then over 50 warm... then your tires would look like they do.....
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 01:05 AM   #8
composed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blip Bavarian View Post
none of those apply
Take another look! These tires are Michelin Pilot Sports (the original ones, "PS1's") and have a straight center tread block which, mysteriously, is not in the pictures (passenger side more so than driver's). On the worn tire you see no center tread and some outer tread. The attached pic shows what these tires look like originally. Pretty good argument for overinflation...

Kingleh has a VERY good point - pressure gauges are notoriously off (sensitive needles, prone to drops, etc), and especially the cheap ones. Invest in a good gauge, take care of it, and check it against others. Forget those pen-like/pop-out things and I would even avoid most at places like Pep Boys. You can pick up an Intercomp or Longacre for as little as $30 or so and you'll want to use it all of the time!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #9
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

sounds like you change your "wheels" too often!

I usually replace my wheels every year ????
      06-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

I have a digital Radio shack gauge...

Should be accurate?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
Niels E46 M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 SG M3 Coupe DCT

On my ///M the right rear always wore faster than its counter-part... i believe it is due to the way torque is divided through the differential.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #12
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

OK, being as I have tracked for many years and have bought dozens of sets of tires, I can tell you this, based on my experience.

Your right rear exhibits wear from middle to outside. The inside is decent.

Here is the deal....you need MORE camber on the rear. Given you driving style, you corner quickly. This places load on the outside of the tire, hence, more wear.

Toe looks fine as this wears the INSIDE surfaces first...and QUICKLY. You do not appear to have a toe issue whatsoever.

I would have your car aligned to factory toe specs and ADD about 0.5 - 0.75 degree of negative camber in the rear.

I would say your inflation is maybe 2 lbs high. I would replace the rubber first, then align it, then adjust pressure slightly if you see a little more outside wear. But I doubt you will need to.

Best of luck....

EDIT: It is hard to see the pic of your left rear, but that one looks like an overinflation issue to me.

As someone noted, the right rear takes most of the abuse as it is the drive wheel..so it will wear a bit faster. I would still add a bit of negative to the rear though. I bet when you get it checked you will see more negative on the left rear than the right. Let us know what you find out!
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 03:22 AM   #13
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Exclamation

Just got the rears changed($700+) and have an appointment set up for the alignment($100-$200). I will let the tech know of what specifications I would like too. I plan on heading to West End Alignment next week Monday or BMW of Monrovia on Saturday. Until then I will keep you updated. And car does pull to the right.. May be due to the uneven pavement because of the sewage systems, or alignment.

In addition, I periodically check the tires and keep them at 36psi. However, I will now invest in a better tire pressure gauge asap! Thx for all the help guys and ill keep you informed on the situation.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 03:53 AM   #14
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
OK, being as I have tracked for many years and have bought dozens of sets of tires, I can tell you this, based on my experience.

Your right rear exhibits wear from middle to outside. The inside is decent.

Here is the deal....you need MORE camber on the rear. Given you driving style, you corner quickly. This places load on the outside of the tire, hence, more wear.

Toe looks fine as this wears the INSIDE surfaces first...and QUICKLY. You do not appear to have a toe issue whatsoever.

I would have your car aligned to factory toe specs and ADD about 0.5 - 0.75 degree of negative camber in the rear.

I would say your inflation is maybe 2 lbs high. I would replace the rubber first, then align it, then adjust pressure slightly if you see a little more outside wear. But I doubt you will need to.

Best of luck....

EDIT: It is hard to see the pic of your left rear, but that one looks like an overinflation issue to me.

As someone noted, the right rear takes most of the abuse as it is the drive wheel..so it will wear a bit faster. I would still add a bit of negative to the rear though. I bet when you get it checked you will see more negative on the left rear than the right. Let us know what you find out!
Agreed and would add that he probably suffers from foot leadititis too considering he changes tires every 5000 miles. I am guessing high to very high speed runs on highway also. Regularly cruising past 85-90mph for extended periods will EAT tires like there is no tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 07:59 PM   #15
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Exclamation Got 14 more miles on the car from the dealership though...

Just got the car back from the dealership and it was apparently the Alignment. The car no longer pulls to the right at all which is what i was hoping for. They also changed the front brakes under warranty while i was there. HOWEVER, my car got 14 miles added onto it while it was at the dealership(i left it for the weekend with them)... But I guess it is my fault for going to the dealership for an alignment anyways... I am just glad the car is back to normal. Thx for everyone's help here too!
Appreciate 0