ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
ktsbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4

Fogged headlight covers

I just purchased a 2003 Z4. The car is perfect except for the headlight covers, they seem slightly fogged, or discolored. Is this something I can change myself or is it a total pain? Best place to buy new covers? Best place to buy an owners manual?

thank you in advance for any input
Brian
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktsbmw View Post
I just purchased a 2003 Z4. The car is perfect except for the headlight covers, they seem slightly fogged, or discolored. Is this something I can change myself or is it a total pain? Best place to buy new covers? Best place to buy an owners manual?
Where'd you buy the car? Any sort of warranty, like Certified Pre-Owned (CPO)? Some people have had the lights replaced by the dealer - it's not just a cover, but an entire assembly. Mine would fog after I changed the bulbs, but it always cleared up after a bit. If your miles are low enough, a BMW might do it as a courtesy...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
Santa Fe Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5 Sport

Garage List
if your lights have fog/mist inside them, one of two things happened:
1. Someone replaced your bulbs when it was humid and now the humidity is trapped inside the headlight. This can be corrected by openning the headlight and using a hairdryer to dehumidify the air inside the light.
2. you have a seal leak somewhere. Most people have had to replace the light to correct this.

If you are talking about a discoloration/hazyness on the outside of the light, there are many products that you can buy to remove the hazyness. They typically are applied in a similar method as waxing your paint.

BMW rear spoiler - de-badged - MTEC HIDs (DEFECTIVE) - XENESIS high beams & fogs - shadowline front grill - 20% tint - keyhole plugs - Roadster Solutions acrylic wind deflector - LeatherZ center console & door arm rests - Parrot 3100 bluetooth - USA SPEC IPod integration - Xenon interior lighting
Appreciate 0