THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Rear DECK needs DYNAMAT

08-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
clemsonkev
OOOO another former Audi B5 S4 owner OOOO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 Carrera S (sold the M2)

Rear DECK needs DYNAMAT

anyone added dynamat or similar product to their rear deck? Looking for photos or vid of dismantle and installation. TIA

(added sub. sounds great, but that damn rear deck in my M2 rattles like hell when the bass drops)
      08-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #2
garyt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I have the same issue as you, added a powered sub woofer and sometimes vibrates quite a lot depending on the song. I found the vibrations are coming from the rear window shelf toward the passenger side, the baby seat belt holder things ( I used silicone glue to keep them from rattling) and also the plastic piece around the fuel nozzle rattles. I temporarily place pieces of cloth under the rear shelf (there are two openings, one in the middle and the other toward the passenger side of the shelf from the trunk area)and in the fuel nozzle area. This helped quite a bit but I will need to disassemble that area and fix it correctly. When I get around to it, I will photograph it and place the steps to remove the panels here.

Gary
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
clemsonkev
United_States
Rep

great, thanks Gary. I found a YouTube video of a guy shoving tennis balls up in those areas to fix. My wife suggested I cut up one of our many swim noodles to serve the same purpose. Will likely tackle this weekend. (leaving the back seats down help for now)
      08-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
brandonee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3 REX, 2016 228 M Sport

I did the same thing! That design is the worse... between the speaker grilles and that baby seat latch cover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
I found the vibrations are coming from the rear window shelf toward the passenger side, the baby seat belt holder things ( I used silicone glue to keep them from rattling)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
clemsonkev
United_States
Rep

temp fix: I did cut a swim noodle into sections that I then jammed up into the holes under the rear deck. I also placed a few packing peanuts into those child lock latches and smashed them shut (didn't want to use glue!)..... could not test for long (keeping peace with the neighbors) but it sounded solid when I cranked it for ~20 seconds - no rattle noticed. Will test thoroughly tomorrow on my commute.

FYI, my son's USB stick had the perfect song/bass freq. to trouble shoot the rattle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgmv...JuWYFY_iGibnrT
      08-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #6
clemsonkev
United_States
Rep

Swim Noodle FOR THE WIN! Tested numerous songs, love it! No rattle.
      08-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Any chance you could post a picture? Thx in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #8
clemsonkev
United_States
Rep

I don't have image hosting but there isn't really anything to see. I felt up into the two holes on the rear side of the deck from the trunk to estimate the lengths of swim noodle needed. I think my first cut was 10" or so. I jammed it up there. Then another 7" or so piece into the same hole. The other hole more in the center of the deck is smaller. I found a smaller diameter swim noodle in my garage and cut about a 5" section off and jammed it up there. Added another 5" piece for good measure. Piece of cake, but nothing to see now. They are all jammed up there holding my deck firmly in place no matter the frequency or severity of the bass from my Rockford sub......
      09-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonkev View Post
I don't have image hosting but there isn't really anything to see. I felt up into the two holes on the rear side of the deck from the trunk to estimate the lengths of swim noodle needed. I think my first cut was 10" or so. I jammed it up there. Then another 7" or so piece into the same hole. The other hole more in the center of the deck is smaller. I found a smaller diameter swim noodle in my garage and cut about a 5" section off and jammed it up there. Added another 5" piece for good measure. Piece of cake, but nothing to see now. They are all jammed up there holding my deck firmly in place no matter the frequency or severity of the bass from my Rockford sub......
Thanks. The peanut solution was a stroke of genius.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #10
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'm going to try the packing peanut fix myself - nothing like a low tech solution for a high-tech problem. I have sort of the opposite issue to OP - rattles I hear when NOT playing the stereo (usually only when carrying passengers, so I wasn't noticing it until recently).
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 08:36 AM   #11
Milkee_0923
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Thank you for this quick tip. The drone from my exhaust was causing vibration of the rear deck and actually making the drone sound worse on top of the annoying rattles. After I stuck the pool noodle in there no rattles at all.
Appreciate 0