F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Otto's BMW (West Chester, PA) - A service review
Studio RSR

08-07-2017, 07:23 AM   #1
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Otto's BMW (West Chester, PA) - A service review

Why do some car dealers retain service advisers that provide poor service and fail to properly advise? Otto's BMW is once such place.

I went in for an oil change today. Got an oil change on my Honda yesterday - took about 25 minutes. Not at Otto's BMW.. I drove in, signed in*, and then was told it'd take 90-120 minutes.

And then, the unfriendly service advisor hints that my car isn't my car. Says it's owned by a person in San Juan, PR. I have the title, and I bought it locally from CarSense. (12K miles, 18 months old, and cost the same as a new tricked-out Honda Accord )

They remodeled their building, and now the waiting area is crowded with people that look irked. They used to have a waiting area where you could work, but not now. It's a "designer" look, but very uncomfortable.

Back to check-in. The friggin SA tries to get me to pay for the oil change, which is covered for the first 4 years. He "apologizes" and writes up a new service order. However, this is the second time this has happened to me at Otto's, so I hardly think it's coincidence.

And that attitude was horrible. The SA made me feel very uncomfortable. Maybe it's because I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts, and wasn't dressed like a hipster. Who knows.

Lastly, I was amused to see my simple oil change require 20 pieces of paperwork. It's a simple oil change I could do myself!

From now on, it's only BMW of Reading - a classy dealer and service department that treats me like a friend, not an interloper.

PS - I decided to get my car back after about 20 minutes. I had a critical meeting at work at 1:30. That only gave Otto's BMW 3 hours to do an oil change, and I didn't think they'd make it. Oh yeah - there was another customer demanding to get his car back at the same time as me.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #2
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Could also be that Westchester BMW is a bit busier than Read BMW .. I couldnt see as many BMWs in the Reading area
Unfortunate thing about service these days is that you need to hand hold them more or less the entire way to ensure everything is done correctly

btw my average wait is 1hr 45 min
they were busy as heck
I had to tell them this was free annual service
there were walk-ins they slotted in before my scheduled appt
this I didnt like but many people these days dont seem to believe in scheduling

Last edited by insanecoder; 08-07-2017 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #3
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

But there is ZERO excuse for Otto's horrible attitude and repeated attempts to get me to pay for something that should have been covered.

BTW - BMW of Reading did my oil change and cabin air filter in 54 minutes. AND they treated my like a human being.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #4
EatMoreLobsters
Lobster Soup
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP Black/Sakhir

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 335i xDrive  [0.00]
I used to live in WC, Princeton now. But the only dealer in the Philly/NJ area I go to is Thompson, I've been to most of them. It's out of my way but worth it for the service and quality of work.
2013 335i xDrive PWG: Bootmod3 Stage 2 | MPPK | FBO Dinan - CAI - Exhaust (Black) - Intercooler - Big Turbo - Fuel Pump | ER Downpipe | ER Chargepipe | BMS WMI Kit | KW V1 Suspension | Vorsteiner v-ff 103 | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
https://www.instagram.com/m3_blake
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Sorry to hear ... I had a great experience at Ottos a few years back ...

Driving my f10 550 to bimmerfest in Maryland from NJ ... hit a bad patch if Road at the Delaware bridge and blew both front tires. The only BMW dealer in DE was closed on Saturday for service and BMW roadside was a 4 hour wait

Drove (slowly) on 2 flat fronts from DE to Ottos. With no appointment was able to get in to Ottos, was given a service loaner and they replaced the two tires under my BMW tire/wheel warranty and didn't charge the deductible. Picked up my 550 on Sunday and left loaner keys in drop box

I couldn't have asked for a better experience with them given the shitty situation I was in

Haven't been back since ... guess times have changed

I use Circle BMW in Eatontown NJ exclusively for service as most Centeal NJ dealers suck from a customer service and quality of service standpoint

I get shitty loaners but don't care (228/320/etc)
Appreciate 0