Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire shop damaged new wheels

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-06-2017, 12:16 AM   #1
tylerboland01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Tire shop damaged new wheels

I got my new AG M610's in the mail a few days ago and went to my local NTB to get everything put on the car. This was a big mistake on my part, they put some nice chips in the powder coat right by the center caps. It looks like they hammered the caps in because one has a nice dent right on the edge, and the tech missed his mark a few times.

Center cap dent:

Chips in finish:

Unfortunately I was at work when the car was finished, so I had my dad pick them up. By the time I got home to inspect everything NTB was closed. I've already emailed their corporate office and will be calling when they open tomorrow. Usually the damage I see from these places is caused by a neglected balancing machine(causes a ring) or around the rim do to improper tire dismounting.

Anyone dealt with this type of shody work with good outcome? From what I've read powder coatings can't really be "touched up", the wheel will have to be totally refinished.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

They will likely replace the wheel, or get it "refinished" locally, or offer you a discount on your service, or laugh you off...really just depends on who you end up working with at corporate.

Prepare for at least a month long headache though.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
tylerboland01
Private First Class
Rep

That's what I thought would happen. Ill probably just get my money back for the mounting/balancing then have someone competent fix the damage. Going too stop by after work so we'll see how things go.

Last edited by tylerboland01; 08-06-2017 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
tylerboland01
Private First Class
Rep

Just got back from NTB. Manager said they palm the center caps in as we were walking out to the car. He was pretty quiet after he saw the very clear tooling marks on the center caps. He gave me his card and told me to call back tomorrow so he could get in contact with his regional manager. There were no specifics discussed about a solution, just that we would get it squared away so we'll see what happens.

I'm actually pretty surprised by the lack of any push back, the guy seemed pretty upset about the damage.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 06:58 AM   #5
tylerboland01
Private First Class
Rep

Manager agreed to pay for two new wheels. Bringing the invoice today too receive reimbursement.

He wanted to refinish both wheels, but wouldn't tell me who was going to be doing it. I told him I'd do it if they refinished all four so the color would be garenteed to match and also agreed to cover any chipping issues with powder coating for the lifetime of the wheel, but he said no.

Also called Vibe and AG who both confirmed the wheels were hub centric for this car. So they lied about the balancing, getting my money back for that too.

Taking the car to ABR Houston when I get the new wheels in, since I know they'll do the job right.

Edit: dropped off the invoice, manager will be in tomorrow so he better have a check ready .

Last edited by tylerboland01; 08-09-2017 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
tylerboland01
Private First Class
Rep

Just got off the phone with corporate. Accounting has the invoice and will be mailing a check. The representative said I should recieve it by the end of next week. They not only paid for two new wheels, but refunded me the full amount for the service. I really can't believe it was this easy, I was expecting a drawn out fight
Appreciate 3
      08-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #7
tylerboland01
Private First Class
Rep

Alright we have a continuation of this bullshit. The past few days I've noticed a metal clanking noise when I take hard turns or brake. At first I thought it was the wheel weights they had placed on the inside edge of the wheel hitting the control arm, as a few have popped off. But I finally got around to taking the wheel off to inspect, and found that something is rolling around inside the wheel/tire.

At first I thought the TPMS sensor had come off, but I have no low pressure light and based on the racket the wheel has been making I doubt it would have survived more than a few turns/brakes.

Does anyone have an idea of what it could be, barring a misplayed tool or wheel weight? Corporate is getting a call tomorrow of course, and I will be taking the wheel back to them on my day off Thursday too find out what it really is. My new wheels come on Friday, so if they are delivered early enough I should hopefully be able to get it over to ABR Houston before they close for the weekend.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #8
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

What a gong show. At least management stepped up to deal with the rims. They probably had the "new" guy do your tires. Too bad because they have probably lost at least one customer for life.

Had a guy trash a motorcycle rim... the owner stepped up and offered a replacement rim... it was my commuter so I settled for a dress out and paint touch up. The poor kid was fired as I was getting ready to leave. Apparently it wasn't his first f#ck up. Still felt bad tho...

Back on topic... hope your cheque(check ;P) shows up and you can put this behind you!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 08:57 PM   #9
tylerboland01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet
What a gong show. At least management stepped up to deal with the rims. They probably had the "new" guy do your tires. Too bad because they have probably lost at least one customer for life.

Had a guy trash a motorcycle rim... the owner stepped up and offered a replacement rim... it was my commuter so I settled for a dress out and paint touch up. The poor kid was fired as I was getting ready to leave. Apparently it wasn't his first f#ck up. Still felt bad tho...

Back on topic... hope your cheque(check ;P) shows up and you can put this behind you!
Apparently the check got to the post office on Monday, unfortunately Harvey decided to hit around the same time. Hopeful it will come when service resumes.

I guess the refunds for services are up to the manager. After a lengthy and somewhat heated conversation, he basically told me to pound sand. So I'm out of $250 for the incorrect balance and mounting. Fucker kept telling me my wheels weren't hub centric, despite Vibe Motorsports, Avante Garde and my nice micrometer telling differently. ABR Houston didn't have any issues balancing them either.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #10
SikhE90
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i 09 E70 X5D

Don't feel bad. Most kids are there to make a few bucks and spend it on the weekends. They don't give a f**k about you or your car. I had an employee once at my restaurant who was super rich. Her boy friend scratched up my table with graffiti while waiting for her to get off work and she used to call all the time saying she was going to the mall with her mom for shopping. Dad had a few Rolls and Ferraris. So they deserve it just to get an idea what they are headed for in life. Responsibility.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

What?
Appreciate 0