BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW

05-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Shade
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 AW F10 M5

how to remove front grill

Has any changed their front grill yet? I have a set of matte black grill but have no idea hot to remove the stock ones.......please help!!!

P.S. but no result

08 E92 M3 AW M-DCT

09 INDxRENN-SPEC Project GT-R
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
bills742
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '08 M3, '20 323Ci

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47059
'08 M3 JB DCT Coupe /// DTEC Cree LED Angel Eyes / Mtech Super White Cornering Lights / Matte Black Kidneys & Gilles / 35-40% FormulaOne Pinnacle / VRS Boot / VRS II Diffuser / AA exhaust / Fabspeed HFC & X-pipe / Eibach Springs / RDSport Front Bumper / 19" Satin Charcoal HRE P40 / RPI Scoops / PSW (Non-electronic) / BMW Stainless Steel Pedals / LeatherZ Alcantara Boots
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
Shade
Captain
United_States
Rep

oh so M3 and e92 335 is the same ? i thought the intake of M3 is in the way.

08 E92 M3 AW M-DCT

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeM3 View Post
oh so M3 and e92 335 is the same ? i thought the intake of M3 is in the way.
same way yes
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Lordcyric
Rep
Drives: Steel Grey E46 M3 'vert 6MT

I just did mine, following the e90 post DIY. Just be extra careful when you bend back the front bumper to get to the lower tabs. It kept feeling to me like it was going to tear or crack, but thankfully never did. I popped the top tabs out with a small screwdriver easily; thought they do have a tendency to pop back in place if you're not holding the grill taut from the front side. The 2 side tabs were the hardest to get loose. Once those are all loose, you have to reach down to the lower tabs by getting your arm/hands down inside/behind the bumper and push the 2 bottom tabs in with your fingers. It's tight, but it can be done. It's not nearly as tight as trying to change out the H8s for the angel eyes.

One thing to watch for when putting the hex screws back in, the bumper can slide forward/back to adjust the seam with the headlight assembly. Make sure it's flush, otherwise it'll look gappy. I didn't realize that until I had put it all back together, and thought I had jacked up the bumber by pulling on it, before I realized I could just adjust the spacing.

P.S. - Matte Black grills look so aggressive and sleek on a JzB. Love em!

-Keith
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
Shade
Captain
United_States
Rep

Got it ! thanks !

08 E92 M3 AW M-DCT

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
marcos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: jerez m3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordcyric View Post
I just did mine, following the e90 post DIY. Just be extra careful when you bend back the front bumper to get to the lower tabs. It kept feeling to me like it was going to tear or crack, but thankfully never did. I popped the top tabs out with a small screwdriver easily; thought they do have a tendency to pop back in place if you're not holding the grill taut from the front side. The 2 side tabs were the hardest to get loose. Once those are all loose, you have to reach down to the lower tabs by getting your arm/hands down inside/behind the bumper and push the 2 bottom tabs in with your fingers. It's tight, but it can be done. It's not nearly as tight as trying to change out the H8s for the angel eyes.

One thing to watch for when putting the hex screws back in, the bumper can slide forward/back to adjust the seam with the headlight assembly. Make sure it's flush, otherwise it'll look gappy. I didn't realize that until I had put it all back together, and thought I had jacked up the bumber by pulling on it, before I realized I could just adjust the spacing.

P.S. - Matte Black grills look so aggressive and sleek on a JzB. Love em!

-Keith
Any pictures??--thinking about doing the same for my car.

e92 M3 Jerez Black, Fox Red Interior, Heated Seats, Satellite Radio, 18's
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
Lordcyric
Rep

Yeah, I've been meaning to snap some of the car in general as well, but my iPhone takes shite pics. Working on getting a decent camera so I can post some decent pics.

I think the matte blacks make the car so much sexier, and it definitely goes better with the 18" rims. I might have kept the chrome if I'd have gone with the 19"s for the contrast.

Until then, here are some lower quality ones.

-Keith
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
marcos
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. Actually pretty good quality for a phone camera. I think I like the look. I wasn't too sure how the jerez would contrast with the black grills. What are you doing with your reflectors?

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #10
Lordcyric
Rep

I was waiting on the flush reflectors to become available to make a final choice. I think the Jerez better hides the non-flush reflector line though, so I might go with those, just for a more OEM fit. The orange is definitely coming off though.

You can't see it in the pics cause they're off, but I also changed out the Angel eyes to the GP Thunder 8500s. A subtle change, but the whiter vs. yellow fits the jerez so much better too. As mods go, that $20 is well worth it.

My neighbor got a 135 and changed his grills out to the shadowline black. It's more of a shiny piano black, which I thought would have been perfect for the more metallic look of the JzB. I couldn't find a place that sold them for the e92 M3 though, so I stuck with the matte, which still looks sexy. Still curious to see what shadowline would have looked like though.

I'll try to get some pics snapped at an angle, so you get a better profile with the Gunmetal rims. Taken all together it definitely fits well.

-Keith
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
marcos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordcyric View Post
I was waiting on the flush reflectors to become available to make a final choice. I think the Jerez better hides the non-flush reflector line though, so I might go with those, just for a more OEM fit. The orange is definitely coming off though.

You can't see it in the pics cause they're off, but I also changed out the Angel eyes to the GP Thunder 8500s. A subtle change, but the whiter vs. yellow fits the jerez so much better too. As mods go, that $20 is well worth it.

My neighbor got a 135 and changed his grills out to the shadowline black. It's more of a shiny piano black, which I thought would have been perfect for the more metallic look of the JzB. I couldn't find a place that sold them for the e92 M3 though, so I stuck with the matte, which still looks sexy. Still curious to see what shadowline would have looked like though.

I'll try to get some pics snapped at an angle, so you get a better profile with the Gunmetal rims. Taken all together it definitely fits well.

-Keith
Excellent, would love to see the angled views. I guess my only concern would be how well the matte black goes with the metallic blue/black of jerez. However--I think it still looks better than the chrome. And if I don't like it--I can change them back....
The flush mount reflectors will need painting of the bumpers exposed edges--too involved for me.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #12
Lordcyric
Rep

Well, the matte grills do better match the matte honeycomb under the bumper, so it creates a more cohesive appearance in that regard.

And totally agree on the flushed, I don't want to mess with touch up painting either.

-Keith
Appreciate 0