Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > New Tire Suggestions?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-19-2017, 01:22 AM   #1
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive

New Tire Suggestions?

I have a 2006 E90 330i 6AT without sports package. It has Style 159 17" wheels with PSS 225/45R17 tires on it currently (square setup). I have also upgraded the shocks to Bilstein B8 and springs to Eibach Pro (slightly lower ride height to sports package).

A few weeks back I was driving in Yosemite and hit some pretty bad pot holes which ended up bending (albeit slightly) one of my wheels. There's now a shimmy when driving between 45-70mph. As such, I have decided to just purchase all new wheels (maybe this gave me an excuse to do so ). Luckily for me, the tires are almost down to 2/32" so they are in need of replacing anyhow.

I am currently looking at the popular VMR V710. I haven't decided yet, tbh. I do like the looks though. I also like 5 spoke designs like Style 437. I am looking to spend no more than $2000 for the set of wheels and tires. I don't really track my car or anything, but I do love to do some canyon carving on the weekends. I'd say 50/50 looks/performance? I hate arch gap, but I also don't dig the slammed look? A few things I am debating:

- 18in vs 19in
- Square vs staggered
- Tire size for the above
- Tire (I am 95% set on PS A/S 3+ since I am looking for longer thread life than the ~30k I am getting from my PSS with similar dry/wet performance...I don't care too much for winter/snow performance since I live in the Bay Area with little to no snow ever and I plan on keeping my current wheels for winter set if I ever do need winter tires down the road.)

I would appreciate any insight. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 06:27 AM   #2
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Definitely get 18's for ride comfort and tire durability if you were to hit another pothole. Square or staggerd is up to you. If you get staggered you can get 225 front 255 back or 235 front and 265 rear.

Get the new "continental extremecontact sport" tires. Just as good in the dry as the PSS but better in the wet and resists hydroplaning better. Also have higher tread life and a little more comfortable.

Definitely try to get the lightest 18" wheels. It would put less stress on the tire and suspension when hitting a pothole.

I have TRMotorsport MT1-R and they are stronger and lighter then my OEM 16". The 16" have had a crack in one that was repaired and had to buy a brand new one because it was leaking air from the lip.
The 18" are flawless with no cracks or signs of stress.

I heard VMRs are prone to cracking or bending.

Tire rack has weights of their wheels listed and I believe **********s has on some of theirs. Not sure about about ecstuning
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

I have the voxx leggerro and i like those. I also run the continental pure contacts at 245/40/18 and it feels like a solid setup. I have the 335d with sport suspension. Now for some titanium studs and forged hard anodized aluminum nuts and ill be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
I'd look at ECS tuning. They have replica 313 rims for cheap. You could also get eBay replica m6 rims. I'd only buy from a power seller, if you go that route.

ECS -

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-alzor-pa...-four/730-2kt/

Ebay -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-BMW-M3-STY...dZb4a0&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0