THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning dual exhaust conversion for 230i

07-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
boypaulkim
Private
Rep
Drives: 230i

dual exhaust conversion for 230i

hello friends,

i'm a bit new to exhaust upgrades and have a couple of questions.
I know similar question has been asked here and there but couldn't find helpful answer.

I'm currently thinking to replace my 230i stock exhaust to a either stock M235/M240 or M performance exhaust for M235/M240.

the change would simply be for cosmetic look (dual exhaust look) and sound upgrade. I'm not all that interested in performance gain.

so here goes my question

1) can dual exhaust be installed without cutting my current exhaust pipe? i would like to avoid clamping/welding if possible. and revert to stock if needed.

2) i've heard the diameter of the pipe being different from stock 230i exhaust to dual exhaust from M235/M240. how does this get in the way of installing the exhaust?

3) Will installing stock M235/M240 or M performance exhaust for M235/M240 be compatible and functional with my valve? i do not want any code being thrown after installing the new exhaust.

4) Will the dealer refuse/void warranty even when my current exhaust is swapped to another original BMW part? (stock M235/M240 exhaust or MPE)

thank you in advance for your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
Ace604
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by boypaulkim View Post
hello friends,

I know similar question has been asked here and there but couldn't find helpful answer.

I'm currently thinking to replace my 230i stock exhaust to a either stock M235/M240 or M performance exhaust for M235/M240.

the change would simply be for cosmetic look (dual exhaust look) and sound upgrade. I'm not all that interested in performance gain.

so here goes my question

1) can dual exhaust be installed without cutting my current exhaust pipe? i would like to avoid clamping/welding if possible. and revert to stock if needed.

2) i've heard the diameter of the pipe being different from stock 230i exhaust to dual exhaust from M235/M240. how does this get in the way of installing the exhaust?

3) Will installing stock M235/M240 or M performance exhaust for M235/M240 be compatible and functional with my valve? i do not want any code being thrown after installing the new exhaust.

4) Will the dealer refuse/void warranty even when my current exhaust is swapped to another original BMW part? (stock M235/M240 exhaust or MPE)

1) Not possible since the stock exhaust is 1 piece. You can have it cut in a way that can clamped back in the future.

2) Diameter is slightly different, will need to us an adapter clamp.

3) You should be able to directly plug your exhaust valve cable to the M perf. exhaust. No codes are thrown even if your exhaust valve cable is unplugged.

4) Honestly, there's not much that can go wrong with an exhaust... an axleback at that. The dealer can't void warranty for your whole car if you only changed the exhaust. They can void the coverage of your aftermarket parts or any damage caused by said parts.. but since its a BMW exhaust they should cover any defects of the parts anyways.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
boypaulkim
Private
Rep
Drives: 230i

thank you for your response.

will there be any negative effect from swapping the exhaust? (droning, back pressure, etc)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 11:56 PM   #4
Cyber_Cloud
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Garage List
2017 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boypaulkim View Post
hello friends,

so here goes my question

I’m just curious if you ever did anything for this? I’m not too familiar with exhaust as well but want to do the exact thing on a budget I have a friend who is a welder and can help me with any exhaust work or installation
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 04:14 AM   #5
mb67
In search of the perfect cup of coffee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_Cloud View Post
I’m just curious if you ever did anything for this? I’m not too familiar with exhaust as well but want to do the exact thing on a budget I have a friend who is a welder and can help me with any exhaust work or installation
I know that this isn't the same model, but there have been people who have installed the M235i's M-Performance (dual) Exhaust on their 228i's. In order to get that done it requires having the M-Sport Pkg, which has the necessary bumper. Along with the M-Performance Exhaust, you will need to have either the M235i's rear diffuser, or get the M-Performance rear diffuser.

Vids:

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 06:04 PM   #6
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i MSport THP Dinan V2

This topic has been covered many times. Take a look at this thread. https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1449163
Appreciate 0