E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Jealous

07-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
tom.gnade
Apex Forged 19", AA headers, MILVs, 3IM, Euro Intake, Swift Spec-R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
My uncle just bought a brand new model S in obsidian black, says it does 0-60 in 2.3 seconds in ultra ludicrous mode now. Jealous. That is all. Still love my e92 with nearly undying devotion, just wish it were powered by Elon Musk's unicorn farts.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.gnade View Post
My uncle just bought a brand new model S in obsidian black, says it does 0-60 in 2.3 seconds in ultra ludicrous mode now. Jealous. That is all. Still love my e92 with nearly undying devotion, just wish it were powered by Elon Musk's unicorn farts.
Model S 100D (with ultra/super pupper ludicrous mode) starts from $140,000 for a base empty car. Not exactly a wooden bench and a wheels - but close to it. If you add options, upgraded stereo and such and don't forget about home charger - it rolls into ....... Ferrari territory (that starts from $188,000) and to be honest when I see Tesla and Ferrari together - I'm not even going to look at Tesla. There's nothing to look at. It's just battery and a electric motors like metro railcars have or like you have in your electric toothbrush lol. Chassis is so-so, and the only wonder is a lcd monitor (like from my old desktop pc lol) inside to look at.....idk. It's more of a appliance now you know. With 1 speed automatic like cheap golf carts. The fun is gone. No more ICE, no more anything to have fun with, except 0-60 acceleration......boring. And as usual inconvenience to plan your ride everyday due to limited distance

Definitely not my cup of tea, but it is successfully ruining auto industry - many people abandon modding their cars just because there's no point if a housewife in her all-electric appliance can walk away from your proudly modded FBO Stage 3 340i or even a F10 M5 ........I think era of automobiles as we knew it - is gone

I predict in 10 years modding will be same thing as kids do today - download new skin/color mode for their smartphones. Imagine a gathering of future modders on a distant parking lot with a electric cars where they show off their software versions and hacks and hidden options lol - this is what awaits us in future. I can already see a ad banner from Burger Tuning: Stage 1 mod for your 500D - unlocks the red glow during acceleration and emulates a V8 sound, Stage 2 - makes your rear tailights blink and flush like a police car (not for street driving)....

Last edited by WhiteBeard; 07-04-2017 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
sleepydinosaur
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 328i

Solution 1 -- go to a race track or autocross. By the time you're hooked, you'll realize stop light races are for kids, and will no longer look at 0-60 times as a meaningful measure.

Solution 2 -- get a 991 Turbo S that not only can match the 0-60 times, but also do it 50 times in a row, leaving the drained and possibly overheated Telsa behind.
      07-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
tom.gnade
Apex Forged 19", AA headers, MILVs, 3IM, Euro Intake, Swift Spec-R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydinosaur View Post
Solution 1 -- go to a race track or autocross. By the time you're hooked, you'll realize stop light races are for kids, and will no longer look at 0-60 times as a meaningful measure.

Solution 2 -- get a 991 Turbo S that not only can match the 0-60 times, but also do it 50 times in a row, leaving the drained and possibly overheated Telsa behind.
Yes that is indeed my long-term plan. For now, I'll contemplate the supercharger a bit more lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydinosaur View Post

Not true. 911 Turbo S does 0-60 in 2.5sec (and 2.7 sec according to Porsche), besides almost every month comes an update with super duper ludicrous mode that makes 0-60 less and less. Tesla racing channel shows 0-60 in 2sec flat for Tesla without trunk liner (apparently weighs a lot). So it's pointless - electric cars have won and it's going to get more and more embarrassing as they mature

And they can do many 0-60 and 1/4 runs continuously as it has been long shown. Just remember that rewrite a software limiters and add a cooling fan to batteries is inherently easier and faster than produce a new internal combustion engine capable of anything close to 2sec 0-60 time

The only last bastion still standing is 1/4 mile times, but with Tesla hitting 10.4sec already - it won't be too long until they conquer that too. Probably in couple of month with new software lol

As I said, future of automobile enthusiasts is very narrow - folks will go into collectible cars and/or prestige cars (Porsche, Ferrari etc) - but there will be no more silly Mustang or 335i modding and bragging lol as it will be utterly pointless when your neighbor soccer-mom will leave you in dust in her all-electric minivan full of kids and toys lol
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #6
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

I just accept the future. Electric vehicles are arguably the best thing to happen to car technology. An affordable car you can buy off the lot that does 0-60 in 2.6s? That's Ferrari territory. It's awesome.

Mods will be more in programming, suspension, and batteries. Who knows, maybe even more powerful electric.motors will be available.

I look forward to the future of automobiles.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #7
IISevv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i FBO

All of you are quoting 0-60 times as to why the tesla is better, but is that really all a car is about? It's far too heavy to be competitive on twisty roads and past 60, it loses to most other sports/supercars as the electric motors run out of juice quick. Not to mention you can only do a few runs before the batteries overheat. The only reason it beats them 0-60 is instant torque and all wheel drive. For $150k-200k you could build a drag car that would be competitive with a p100D.
Appreciate 0