Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Bridgestone Potenza Inside Out - Ever do it?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-30-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
DakotaSailor
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335iS 6MT Space Grey

Bridgestone Potenza Inside Out - Ever do it?

Does anyone have any experience turning their BPs inside out?

These tires have 20,000 miles and the outside is worn and there is plenty of tread on the rest of the tire. I know you're not supposed because the manufacturer says not to. But specifically why, I cannot find anywhere.

So I want to know if someone has said "F it let's do it and see what happens"?

Last edited by DakotaSailor; 06-30-2017 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: grammar and removing expletives
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Potenzas.. there's like over 50 models of potenzas come on now

Anyways depends what kind of potenzas.. for example re71rs don't have an "inside"

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
TGTIW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

I understood "inside out" another way and wondered how the hell you were going to pull that off. You may also consider having your alignment checked..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGTIW View Post
I understood "inside out" another way and wondered how the hell you were going to pull that off.
Come on dude...this isn't that difficult to comprehend:

Instant slicks!!

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #5
DakotaSailor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antetokounmpo View Post
Potenzas.. there's like over 50 models of potenzas come on now
Right! RE050AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGTIW View Post
You may also consider having your alignment checked..
Agreed and am going to. Just wanted try to push these till the Blizzaks go on.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 07:14 AM   #6
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

ultimately it is your safety and enjoyment of the car that you are risking. The other issue is finding a tyre shop willing to do the job as not many will want to be liable for any consequences. It is their duty of care.

If you have access to tyre equipment then there is nothing physically preventing you from flipping an assymetric tyre. How badly worn is the more worn section? Are we talking bald? On the wear bars? Assymetric tyre tread patterns are designed to evacuate water most effectively when it is rotated in the intended marked direction.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #7
DakotaSailor
United_States
Rep

The outsides still have tread but they won't for long and it is my natural curiosity that drives this question. No one has told me why. Haven't you ever wondered why?

I keep hearing "you'll change rotation" tires marked Inside and Outside are not directional.

This is the closest I've found to an answer ... https://www.goodyear.com/email/faq/mounting.html
My asymmetrical tires were mounted incorrectly. What should I do?

Asymmetrical tires were designed to improve handling and reduce noise. The tires can rotate in either direction with the correct side facing out as indicated on the sidewall. If installed with the wrong side facing out, the tire will not perform its intended function. However, no damage or premature wear to the tire will result. Simply have it dismounted and reinstalled correctly.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 07:08 AM   #8
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

It's only really worth it if you have free access to tyre equipment - fitting machines and balancer, and if the excessive edge wear is caught early on such that flipping it will result in even wear across the tread face.

Im not sure about the RE050A tyres but some assymetrics like the Michelin PSS use a different compound on the outer blocks so flipping it may make the now outer tread section wear even faster than the original outer section, making your effort less worthwhile.

Changing direction of rotation may cause noise, true - howling, etc. Noise will also occur if you simply flip the tyre on the wheel as it would then be rotating the other way. All the accumulated scalloping and feathering will cause noise until the peaks are worn down.

And as i mentioned earlier - water evacuation may not be as effective, increasing risk of hydroplaning
Appreciate 1