E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Thumping noise?

06-30-2017, 08:15 AM   #1
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Thumping noise?

Over time my 335is has developed a light thumping noise from around the front left wheel. When I get up to 45 mph or so the noise starts occurring. It sounds as if a tire is "flat spotted", I am feel the thumping in my feet as well. The noise also increases when slightly starting to turn the wheel to the right, and pretty loud in hard right turns like exit ramps.

I have another set of front wheels / tires, put them on and the sound is the same. It is not a tire issue. Could this possibly be a wheel bearing or hub? Also hear a crackling noise what seems to be the same area. Cannot find anything lose as well. Any feedback would be great.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
rsyed07
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330i, E92 13' 335is

If you are getting a whop whop whop whop shopping cart noise then it is the wheel bearing. The fact that it also occurs while turning is further a symptom of bad bearings as the load gets transferred from side to side. Usually it'll occur on one side when you turn and not on the other. I had the same tale signs on my E46.
Appreciate 1
M2joey299.50
      06-30-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Since it not the tires, then I am guessing it's the wheel hub bearing which the thumping you are referring to is like a pulsating "whoomp whoomp...." noise like a helicopter that speeds up and slows down when you accelerate or decelerate and gets louder when slowing down to a stop. If that is the case, then most likely it’s the wheel bearing. In order to check this, you'd need to lift the tire and check for any kind of play. That is, put your hands on the 9 and 3 O'clock positions and try to wiggle it. There should not be much movement. Now, put your hands on the 12 and 6 O'clock positions and try to wiggle. Again, there should not be any kind of movement. If there is any noticeable movement, then there is a problem with the bearing or wheel hub. As a final verification, try spinning the tire. It should spin fairly freely and you should not feel any kind of resistance, but if the tire spins tight and you hear any kind of some strange noise then it's definitely the wheel bearing.

Had this same thing happen to a previous car I used to own (2003 350Z). My trusted mechanic, at the time, found the front wheel bearing on the passenger side was bad and after replacing it the pulsating “whoomping” sound was gone.

These are video links with useful info which would help you diagnose it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqFSRXA_RQA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pilVew4cfnU
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 1
M2joey299.50
      06-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! You both described it pretty much perfectly. Yes, hear it, but pretty much only when turning to the right. Going to order new ones.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #5
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by isjoey View Post
Thanks! You both described it pretty much perfectly. Yes, hear it, but pretty much only when turning to the right. Going to order new ones.
Welcome. Glad to help.

Name:  Girl-Thumbs-Up2.jpg
Views: 3737
Size:  7.9 KB

Wheel hub bearing assemblies are sealed and designed to last the lifetime of the vehicle and therefore requiring little or no maintenance, but they can fail in rare occasions due to improper manufacture, disassembly/assembly of the unit by inexperienced techs or DIYers before reinstallation, excessive vehicle loads, driving over road hazards (i.e. driving over large potholes, driving fast over speed bumps, driving over a large rock or some other form of obstruction or deformity), or poor handling by the driver (owner out racing their vehicle, taking repeatedly sharp turns over difficult terrain or is being irresponsible with the way they drive).
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 07:46 PM   #6
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
Welcome. Glad to help.

Attachment 1648778

Wheel hub bearing assemblies are sealed and designed to last the lifetime of the vehicle and therefore requiring little or no maintenance, but they can fail in rare occasions due to improper manufacture, disassembly/assembly of the unit by inexperienced techs or DIYers before reinstallation, excessive vehicle loads, driving over road hazards (i.e. driving over large potholes, driving fast over speed bumps, driving over a large rock or some other form of obstruction or deformity), or poor handling by the driver (owner out racing their vehicle, taking repeatedly sharp turns over difficult terrain or is being irresponsible with the way they drive).
I installed a new bearing tonight. Issue resolved! Great to have a nice quiet car again.
Appreciate 0