BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Bluetooth audio connectivity issues

06-26-2017, 12:34 AM   #1
cb_g30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 530i M-sport

Bluetooth audio connectivity issues

Hi, I am having some issues with my bluetooth.
It shows on idrive that it telephone and bluetooth audio is connected but bluetooth audio won't play any music. It will just show connected but when i go to the bluetooth section, it says no device and it will take a long time to load. The only thing i can do is play music through apple carplay, which is a inconvenience since I like to change tracks thru the HUD, unlike carplay, you can't.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 03:52 AM   #2
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
I've had issues with Bluetooth connectivity but not quite what you describe. Here are my experiences:

- I've connected my phone for audio via Bluetooth and also through connected drive (I don't have CarPlay yet)
- I'm usually listening to something on my phone (either iTunes or YouTube or some other app) when I start the car.
- always the connected drive app launches on my phone and makes me put my finger on the sensor to authenticate. This is highly inconvenient when by that time I've started to drive off.
- always the audio I was listening to stops and it waits for me to authenticate.
- once I authenticate it switches to the last used connected drive app (audible at the moment for me)
- sometimes when I switch over to Bluetooth on my phone it works fine.
- sometimes when I switch over to Bluetooth on my phone it flicks to the iTunes audio track that's first on my overall list (even if I was on another app or in another playlist). At these times I've noticed even actively reclicking or selecting the audio playlist or track the car stops that after 2-3 seconds and flicks back to the other track repeatedly.
- sometimes no audio will come through although my phone continues to play - at these times flicking to other audio sources has sorted it, other times disconnecting and reconnecting my phone has done it.

I'm wondering if going to CarPlay and disabling the Bluetooth audio and connected drive is gonna be better. But then I'd lose out on some other audio apps I use that won't be on CarPlay yet...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 06:13 AM   #3
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Ok just got CarPlay and once I finally paired my phone in the proper way I'm pretty pleased with it on first use. Seems easier and visually nicer than the BMW display and menus.

A few improvements that could be made:
1) allow track selection from the HUD menu
2) allow some more info displayed in the secondary pane on the main screen so I can have maps up on main pane and CarPlay visualisation on secondary. Although as it stands having CarPlay in main and perspective map on secondary is good enough given directions pop up onto HUD.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 11:21 PM   #4
cb_g30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 530i M-sport

I restarted my phone and everything is fine now haha
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Haha! Maybe I should have tried that too before ordering CarPlay!!
Appreciate 0