THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Audio help req. please.

06-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
Lew Carrum
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: M 240

Audio help req. please.

Now,first off I have had no schooling or technical training where computers are concerned so bear with me. I have had some poor cd burning experiences not playing too well in my new 240. So I thought get a hard drive and load my favourite music onto it and just leave it plugged into the usb plug in the armrest. So far so good, so I used windows media player, loading the cds into the tray and sending direct to the hardrive using wav format for best quality. As I went along I was checking and all the cds had been transferred along with (I thought) all the info on them. But when I pluggesd the hardrive into the car it was showing track number and title but no artist or album info even though the media player was showing it as soon as the cd went into the computer. As a random play idea this is great because it will start at 01 A??? and then play to the last number and Z??. is there anyway I can rectify this without reloading the cds again? Thanks for listening chaps.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Posts like this should be in the audio sub forum
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #3
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Fix the metadata on the files themselves?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
Lew Carrum
Private First Class
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
Fix the metadata on the files themselves?
When I plug the hardrive into the computer all the files are arranged A-Z by artist names so I don't really understand this.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 02:14 PM   #5
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Carrum View Post
When I plug the hardrive into the computer all the files are arranged A-Z by artist names so I don't really understand this.
Sounds like the file names formatted how you like but the metadata of the files themselves is wrong.

If you right click on the file, select Properties and then click the Details tab there you can see if the correct metadata is loaded against the file. If the categories used in iDrive are blank (Artist/Album/etc) you need to add them. I recommend mp3tag for adding metadata.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 03:34 PM   #6
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Like the others said, the songs probably have the file name, but not the actual information on the file.
      06-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #7
elus1ve
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i xDrive Cabriolet

Don't think wav files have meta data. Windows media player will recognize them as the combination of files, track length etc to make up the album info.

I believe you need to rip to MP3 if you want to keep track and artist data so the car can interpret.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 07:09 AM   #8
mumps
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 MRM M235i X Drive

I just have a bunch of 8GB USB sticks with either select bands or playlists loaded on them; in FLAC format. I get album pic, name, song title and everything else displayed.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #9
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

I've been using a program called ID3 Tagit for what seems like ages to update the metadata in my MP3 files.

You can use it to update all the info like year, artist, album and what not, including adding cd cover pics.

The software is free.. Just google it and you'll find multiple links to download it.
      06-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #10
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Posts like this should be in the audio sub forum
Beat me to it, my friend ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Carrum View Post
Now,first off I have had no schooling or technical training where computers are concerned so bear with me ...
I'm requesting that this post be moved to this subforum via a report, OP. Because you're a newbie, you really should search for an answer before asking a question -- and there is plenty of info on the subforum above about your issue.

2Addicts is not a chat room. It is a forum database. Please learn the difference ... and please learn how most large forums on the Interwebz work.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #11
Lew Carrum
Private First Class
Wales
Rep

Problem solved the albums and artists were there all along I just didn't know how to access them. The only thing I haven't got is the photo of the album cover on the screen which I'm not bothered about. Black mark for BMW not giving a proper owners handbook covering the audio section. Thank you for your input and help
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 05:11 PM   #12
E46 Fan
Rep
Drives: 2001 325Ci, 2017 M240i

download and use this

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

it makes exact copies of CDs in multiple format and includes metadata (including album covers). I use FLAC file format (which is lossless like WAV but has smaller files). I'm not going to explain the ins and outs of using it. They've got a good help file and there are videos on youtube.

I have two 256 GB thumb drives, currently loaded with over 14,000 songs from my CD library (and the drives are not full yet). One for A-K artists. One for L-Z artists.

I think i'ts the best CD copying program out there and you get perfect copies of the files.
Appreciate 0