F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > To those of you tracking your FBO 335's...
Extreme Powerhouse

06-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #1
Niart906
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2003 M3

To those of you tracking your FBO 335's...

Looking for some advice from those of you that have upgraded your intercooler. Which brand did you go with and why?

I'm running a JB4, and I've found that even on just Map 2 and 93 octane fuel, I am heat soaking in the later sessions. I can see/feel the JB pulling boost and timing. I would like to be able to run E40 on Map7 for future track days, so I need a larger intercooler. On the street the OE one is fine for a few pulls but will heat soak shorty after.

I'm leaning towards the VRSF intercooler because of it's price. Anyone with any firsthand experience?
      06-21-2017, 07:32 AM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niart906 View Post
Looking for some advice from those of you that have upgraded your intercooler. Which brand did you go with and why?

I'm running a JB4, and I've found that even on just Map 2 and 93 octane fuel, I am heat soaking in the later sessions. I can see/feel the JB pulling boost and timing. I would like to be able to run E40 on Map7 for future track days, so I need a larger intercooler. On the street the OE one is fine for a few pulls but will heat soak shorty after.

I'm leaning towards the VRSF intercooler because of it's price. Anyone with any firsthand experience?
When you say "tracking", do you mean drag racing or actual tracking?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #3
Niart906
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
When you say "tracking", do you mean drag racing or actual tracking?
Actual tracking, I frequent Pocono Raceway a couple times throughout the summer. I'm hoping to make it to NJMP too this summer.
      06-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Actual tracking, I frequent Pocono Raceway a couple times throughout the summer. I'm hoping to make it to NJMP too this summer.
Have you considered leaving your JB4 in a more conservative/stock mode for the track?

Running a car at 7/10ths+ for multiple 20-30 minute sessions is a different animal than most FBO users who are just doing a quick 20 second straight line pull at most.

Your use case is going to be exceeding the engineering envelope of the car with far higher frequency than most other owners.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 07:37 AM   #5
Niart906
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Have you considered leaving your JB4 in a more conservative/stock mode for the track?

Running a car at 7/10ths+ for multiple 20-30 minute sessions is a different animal than most FBO users who are just doing a quick 20 second straight line pull at most.

Your use case is going to be exceeding the engineering envelope of the car with far higher frequency than most other owners.
That's currently what I do now. I run Map 2 for track days on 93 octane.
      06-25-2017, 07:52 AM   #6
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
That's currently what I do now. I run Map 2 for track days on 93 octane.
I dumped JB4 for BM3 as it's better power delivery and it's much better for the track vs a piggyback. I went with the CTS Turbo FMIC and my temps never rise above 100F on a 25C day.

I placed an order for Pure stage 2, so I'll make more power reliably with less boost.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
Niart906
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
I dumped JB4 for BM3 as it's better power delivery and it's much better for the track vs a piggyback. I went with the CTS Turbo FMIC and my temps never rise above 100F on a 25C day.

I placed an order for Pure stage 2, so I'll make more power reliably with less boost.
I've actually been doing a lot of research into BM3, so maybe that combined with a bigger intercooler will get me where I want to be in terms of power and consistency. The CTS intercooler seems to get good reviews from everyone on here. Anyone try the VRSF one?
      07-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #8
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
I've actually been doing a lot of research into BM3, so maybe that combined with a bigger intercooler will get me where I want to be in terms of power and consistency. The CTS intercooler seems to get good reviews from everyone on here. Anyone try the VRSF one?
re: vrsf, i've read in other threads and posts, there are fitment issues with the ER (specifically) charge pipe and VRSF FMIC. if you do VRSF w/stock CP, no problem

i believe the "best" intercoolers are wagner and ambient thermal management. not sure better performance (if any?) is worth the price. the ambient thermal management looks the nicest however i'm not sure if it performs as good as it looks...

just read the wagner evo2 competition (tube fin/light weight), may be the "best". they're all better than stock, just depends how hardcore you are and how much you want to spend.

i have a cts turbo fmic and ftp charge pipe which i have yet to install so i can't give you any real opinion of it

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 07-13-2017 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
For actual tracking I would reccomend Map 0 and no ethanol.

These tunes arent really made for circuit racing. I had a full bolt on 435i with an upgraded intercooler and upgraded oil cooler but I always ran map 0 at the track.

Chances are, unless you are a professional, you wont be able to use the extra power unless you are maxing out the car

I track multiple times a month and I would advise to never run JB4 on the track. The stock tune with 93 octane is all you need

I eventually got bored of map 0 so i went and got an m4 lol
      08-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #10
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post

These tunes arent really made for circuit racing. I had a full bolt on 435i with an upgraded intercooler and upgraded oil cooler but I always ran map 0 at the track.

Chances are, unless you are a professional, you wont be able to use the extra power unless you are maxing out the car

I track multiple times a month and I would advise to never run JB4 on the track. The stock tune with 93 octane is all you need

I eventually got bored of map 0 so i went and got an m4 lol

+1. If you're actually tracking your car, all roads lead to an M car. And then an M car leads to a P car...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #11
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post

When you say these tunes aren't really made for circuit racing, are you talking about JB4 specifically, or all tunes? If you mean all tunes, any specifics on why you feel this way?

My 335i is pretty well modded at this point (intake, charge pipes, DP, exhaust... plus coil overs, f/r control arms, ASBs, LSD, etc.), but the last couple things I've been considering are a mild flash tune, and a Wagner FMIC. My goal with the flash tune would be to tweak throttle mapping so it's more linear (similar in Sport/Sport+ to Comfort), instant throttle response, and a little more headroom at high rpms... I'm open to a bit more boost, but nothing that would push it in terms of reliability at the track.

To date, even on hot days at Summit Point, WV, going hard in the Adv run groups, the only engine issue I've had was the stock charge pipe fitting failing (which killed boost, and instantly turned me into a big momentum car ; )
      08-07-2017, 07:07 PM   #12
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
When you say these tunes aren't really made for circuit racing, are you talking about JB4 specifically, or all tunes? If you mean all tunes, any specifics on why you feel this way?

My 335i is pretty well modded at this point (intake, charge pipes, DP, exhaust... plus coil overs, f/r control arms, ASBs, LSD, etc.), but the last couple things I've been considering are a mild flash tune, and a Wagner FMIC. My goal with the flash tune would be to tweak throttle mapping so it's more linear (similar in Sport/Sport+ to Comfort), instant throttle response, and a little more headroom at high rpms... I'm open to a bit more boost, but nothing that would push it in terms of reliability at the track.

To date, even on hot days at Summit Point, WV, going hard in the Adv run groups, the only engine issue I've had was the stock charge pipe fitting failing (which killed boost, and instantly turned me into a big momentum car ; )
Give bootmod3 a try. I ran it on the track with my buddy who has a M235i with BM3 as well and the tune ran perfect.
      08-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #13
Niart906
First Lieutenant
Rep

No doubt BM3 is as more complete package, but my JB4 did just fine the last few times I tracked the car. Later sessions I could feel it pulling boost due to heat soak, but that's exactly what you want your tune to do given those conditions. I see no reason to run without it, especially on a big track like Pocono.