E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Yeah! XM and Sirius satellite radio is coming to Canada!!

06-16-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
llaroo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 325i MonacoBlue

Yeah! XM and Sirius satellite radio is coming to Canada!!

The Canadian Governement struck down protection laws that disallowed American transmission of signals to Canada today allowing for access to XM and Sirius channels later this year. I hope BMW Canada will allow us to order our cars with the sat. feature. What's the difference between these two competitors?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
prelude
Rep
Drives: Accord

That's awesome!!

Although I already have it in my Accord when I was working down south for a year.
It works great! No problem in TO and Ottawa. It only sucks when you're downtown or around tall buildings. This is because Canada doesn't have terrestrial repeaters since the signal wasn't supposed to come here in the first place.

I'm not sure about the difference. Monthly fees for XM used to be cheaper, but they raised their rates.
XM is more popular and has way more subscribers than Sirius. I think Sirius may have more rap and R&B stations. Not sure what else is different though.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 09:54 PM   #3
llaroo
Private First Class
Rep

does anyone know if it can be added by BMW to cars with standard BMW stereo systems?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 11:43 PM   #4
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

XM has a much stronger signal,

but sirius has better music for rock, rap fans and will soon have howard stern, which is worth the 13 bucks a month on it's own
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 12:38 AM   #5
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Civic Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
XM has a much stronger signal,
Agreed.

XM definitely seems to have the stronger signal between the two. At out dealer in Kansas City, the new car showroom is underground. Whenever you'd drive a Bimmer down there with Sirius going, you'd always lose the signal as soon as you went through the garage doors. However, when we were "testing" out the Acura RL that had XM, all stations were playing fine from inside the same underground showroom.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 07:00 AM   #6
llaroo
Private First Class
Rep

do you actually get a choice with BMW or does the car come prewired with one of the service providers?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #7
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

In the US, BMW only uses Sirius. You'd have to check with your dealer on which is being offered in your area.

I'm sure though you could just order the Satellite Prep then get either XM or Sirius at a later date.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 10:32 AM   #8
yetdog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman
Agreed.

XM definitely seems to have the stronger signal between the two. At out dealer in Kansas City, the new car showroom is underground. Whenever you'd drive a Bimmer down there with Sirius going, you'd always lose the signal as soon as you went through the garage doors. However, when we were "testing" out the Acura RL that had XM, all stations were playing fine from inside the same underground showroom.
Guys, just to clarify:

XM has two satellites, SIRIUS has 3. Without looking up the exact details of it, as you can check it out for yourselves, SIRIUS' configuration enables it to have better footprint coverage with its satellites. XM, therefore, relies more heavily on repeaters to spread its signal throughout the states. There are advantages and drawbacks to both.

Advantages: With more repeaters (mostly just in big, big cities), you can still get signal when you're in a tunnel or a parking garage. XM has more repeaters than SIRIUS, but most major cities have both companies covering them completely.

Disadvantages: Since XM relies more on repeaters, that means that if you're in a smaller town - or out in the boonies - and your line of sight to the birds is questionable, you'll have a much better shot of dropping out w/ XM than you would with SIRIUS.

Each config. has its advantages and drawbacks. Just wanted to make sure that only the facts were stated. I'm not claiming to be an expert on it, but so many people run around stating that one is better than the other because of x, and x turns out to be untrue most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 10:53 AM   #9
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetdog
Guys, just to clarify:

XM has two satellites, SIRIUS has 3. Without looking up the exact details of it, as you can check it out for yourselves, SIRIUS' configuration enables it to have better footprint coverage with its satellites. XM, therefore, relies more heavily on repeaters to spread its signal throughout the states. There are advantages and drawbacks to both.

Advantages: With more repeaters (mostly just in big, big cities), you can still get signal when you're in a tunnel or a parking garage. XM has more repeaters than SIRIUS, but most major cities have both companies covering them completely.

Disadvantages: Since XM relies more on repeaters, that means that if you're in a smaller town - or out in the boonies - and your line of sight to the birds is questionable, you'll have a much better shot of dropping out w/ XM than you would with SIRIUS.

Each config. has its advantages and drawbacks. Just wanted to make sure that only the facts were stated. I'm not claiming to be an expert on it, but so many people run around stating that one is better than the other because of x, and x turns out to be untrue most of the time.
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the info. My experience with both been soley within the Kansas City metro, nothing outside the area. Makes me want to grab some cars equipped with both XM and Sirius and go test signal strength out in central Kansas somewhere. Again, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 05:04 PM   #10
ward
Major General
Rep

you can also go to both services websites and get a streaming trial for a few days for free, that should help you choose if you're using an aftermarket setup. BMW is in bed with sirius and i'm really thankful for that
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2005, 03:03 PM   #11
johnfkitchen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323is & 330i

For what it's worth, I was getting perfect Sirius reception travelling in Quebec last week. See the yellow shaded areas on the map below.

Maybe you guys could order the sat prep, and have a US dealer instal the radio and sign you up, eh?
Attached Images

1998 323is SP manual with all the goodies in ArktisSilber + 330i auto SP PP CW iDrive/Nav SatRadio Active Steering Arktis/Beige/Poplar
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2005, 07:57 PM   #12
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

I just added the SIRIUS prep to my 325xi order...seems like a good idea to have it ready so it works seamlessly in the car when Canada finally gets satellite radio.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #13
Ayeki
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I

Already got my E90 last month and there were no prep options available at that time as far as i know... anyone knows if it will be possible to get Sirius installed when it becomes available?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 10:55 AM   #14
YYimports
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TitanSilver E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayeki
Already got my E90 last month and there were no prep options available at that time as far as i know... anyone knows if it will be possible to get Sirius installed when it becomes available?

thanks
There's BMW DIY instructions for sirius retrofit in the DIY forum I think.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #15
Ayeki
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I

Hmmm i guess im just confused about the:

Satellite Radio Prewire option code SA693 which is supposedly needed for the receiver installation.

Any easy ways to check if my car has this?

Also just wondering if anyone from canada drove down to the US to get a dealer to install it for them?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #16
ward
Major General
Rep

you'd have to check your cars window sticker,

it'd be listed as an option $75 bucks in the states
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2005, 07:45 PM   #17
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Follow-up time.
My car does NOT in fact have the Sirius prewire.
The factory seems to have forgotten to put it in, dammit.
SO, if I want it, I will make a trip to Vermont and have it installed there.
I think i will go with XM radio, they have the sports stations I prefer to listen to.
My friend Andrew has had XM for a while now, and I will get the details from him. Apparently there is a technology to integrate it into the BMW radio, I'll check back on that too.

Never mind that Sirius is coming to Canada, my Mom lives in Fla, I'll just use her address.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #18
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Here is an adaptor that links your RDS system to XM radio in case you don't have the Sirius Prewire.

http://www.xmfanstore.com/showproduct.php?id=xmdirect

Very interesting.

Last edited by StewtheBassman; 11-06-2005 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2005, 10:30 PM   #19
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Here is an adaptor that links your RDS system to XM radio incasse you don't have the Sirius Prewire.
I do not believe it works with the E90. I do not see it listed in their pull down listing.
Quote:
Disadvantages: Since XM relies more on repeaters, that means that if you're in a smaller town - or out in the boonies - and your line of sight to the birds is questionable, you'll have a much better shot of dropping out w/ XM than you would with SIRIUS
In the four years I have had XM, I have traveled all over the "boonies" and the ONLY place I have ever lost a signal was in the Smoky Mountains.
Quote:
you can also go to both services websites and get a streaming trial for a few days for free
This is the best suggestion if you are concerned with the programming differences.

The main reason I went with XM was related to their portable Delphi unit. If I only wanted it in the car, I would switch to Sirius because I prefer a cleaner look. However, I like having my XM Myfi with me when I am out. It has the ability to record programming (like concerts and specials) to play later and its built in antenna is great. However, I still got the prewiring, just in case I change my mind.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #20
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

I wonder who actually makes the stock radio systems in our E90s?????????????

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2006, 08:09 AM   #21
DrJ
Rep
Drives: 325i 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
Here is an adaptor that links your RDS system to XM radio in case you don't have the Sirius Prewire.

http://www.xmfanstore.com/showproduct.php?id=xmdirect

Very interesting.
I did not find BMW in the downloaded list.
I do not have satellite prep. What's the best aftermarket way to get XM satellite in my car without the antennae, wire and power cord cluttering up the passenger space?
Appreciate 0