BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Tracking M2 with more boost

06-04-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
aarodynamics
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2/08 M3/15 Golf R/20 GT4

Question Tracking M2 with more boost

Has anyone tried tracking an M2 with additional boost?

I'm considering going with a big turbo, bigger intercooler, downpipe, and a bootmod3 stage 2 tune.

Does anyone have experience or thoughts on whether the M2 will be able to handle this?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

I wouldn't unless you're willing to sacrifice reliability especially if you're in a hot climate.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarodynamics View Post
Has anyone tried tracking an M2 with additional boost?

I'm considering going with a big turbo, bigger intercooler, downpipe, and a bootmod3 stage 2 tune.

Does anyone have experience or thoughts on whether the M2 will be able to handle this?
I tracked my M235i with similar mods (FBO).

The N55 HPFP can't really support sustained hard-running. At some point in the stock tuning, the ECU asks for a lot more fuel (perhaps for cooling), which crashes the HPFP. This manifests as a bog or slowdown, like you're out of gas on repeated high-RPM pulls (as on a road course). It clears up if you back off for a 1/4 lap, but comes back soon after.

IMHO: if you want to crank up N55 boost beyond what the M2 makes out of the box, you'll ultimately need to add supplemental fueling of some kind. I ended up with Fuel-It port injection.

My M2 is stock for now (only 400 miles on it), but I've saved my bolt-ons and the PI system from the M235i for the future.
      06-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

We have about a dozen track days with our ECU reflash and haven't had any issues. We're also in Florida so track temps are easily 100+ during the summer.

At first we tried to track the car with our Active-8 piggyback and quickly realized that without additional fuel and timing control in the ECU, it would get too hot and pull the timing. After a few hot laps the car was making less power than stock.

With our ECU flash we have corrected the air fuel ratio for track use and have also modified the boost curve so that the car holds consistent power up top. Our car with our downpipe, intercooler and reflash makes about 380whp. We have maps that make up to 400whp but you will end up having fuel system issues especially under hard driving.
Appreciate 2
rwalker329.50
      06-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #5
aarodynamics
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
I tracked my M235i with similar mods (FBO).

The N55 HPFP can't really support sustained hard-running. At some point in the stock tuning, the ECU asks for a lot more fuel (perhaps for cooling), which crashes the HPFP. This manifests as a bog or slowdown, like you're out of gas on repeated high-RPM pulls (as on a road course). It clears up if you back off for a 1/4 lap, but comes back soon after.

IMHO: if you want to crank up N55 boost beyond what the M2 makes out of the box, you'll ultimately need to add supplemental fueling of some kind. I ended up with Fuel-It port injection.

My M2 is stock for now (only 400 miles on it), but I've saved my bolt-ons and the PI system from the M235i for the future.
@rwalker, thanks for the advice. Interested to hear more on the Fuel-It port injection if you had any other details or links to results that people have had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke View Post
We have about a dozen track days with our ECU reflash and haven't had any issues. We're also in Florida so track temps are easily 100+ during the summer.

At first we tried to track the car with our Active-8 piggyback and quickly realized that without additional fuel and timing control in the ECU, it would get too hot and pull the timing. After a few hot laps the car was making less power than stock.

With our ECU flash we have corrected the air fuel ratio for track use and have also modified the boost curve so that the car holds consistent power up top. Our car with our downpipe, intercooler and reflash makes about 380whp. We have maps that make up to 400whp but you will end up having fuel system issues especially under hard driving.
@David, Very helpful

Thanks for the responses.
  1. Does anyone have real-world experience with modifying the fueling system on the M2 to go beyond 380whp?
  2. If I wanted to upgrade the fueling, would I need to go with a full kit like this? Would I also need a JB4 & that Split Second controller?
  3. Do you use these together?
  4. When do you need to use them together?
  5. Can I get by with just a flash since I don't really want to have a separate controller unless absolutely necessary?

Thanks,
Aaron
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@rwalker, thanks for the advice. Interested to hear more on the Fuel-It port injection if you had any other details or links to results that people have had.
There are a lot of such threads around these forums and the forums that support the JB4 directly. E.g. nearly all the Pure Stage 2 cars run port injection.

Quote:
[*]Does anyone have real-world experience with modifying the fueling system on the M2 to go beyond 380whp?
If you mean by means other than port injection, there's also throttle body injection (crude, blunt), and methanol. I've run them all and think port injection is by far the best tool for the job.
Quote:
[*]If I wanted to upgrade the fueling, would I need to go with a full kit like this? Would I also need a JB4 & that Split Second controller? [*]Do you use these together? [*]When do you need to use them together?
With port injection, you'll always need a separate controller to drive the injectors. You don't need a JB4 to trigger that controller, you can use a Hobbs switch. Cutting corners in this way just makes your life harder, though. For the best port injection solution you really need a JB4 (to index supplemental injection off boost, RPM, etc.), the JB4-integrated injector controller (which gives the JB4 info about how the system's running), a Fuel-It PI system, and an upgraded low pressure fuel pump (LPFP) to supply the whole thing.

Even then, be prepared to spend some time tuning it. These setups aren't quite "set and forget", yet. Again: the more corners you cut on setup, the harder/less complete your tuning will be.

Quote:

[*]Can I get by with just a flash since I don't really want to have a separate controller unless absolutely necessary?
In my experience, consistent 400whp on the N55 requires supplemental fueling. I have not tried a flash, though.
      06-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #7
aarodynamics
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks rwalker
I'm new to port injection and really turbo cars in general.
What do you think of that "full fuel-it kit" that I linked to above? Does that supply basically everything that is needed?
Is it going to work with a flash tune as well?
Also, any idea why fuel-it offers an option to sell you a Split Second and JB4 controller simultaneously? I'm not really sure why you would need both.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #8
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks rwalker
I'm new to port injection and really turbo cars in general.
What do you think of that "full fuel-it kit" that I linked to above? Does that supply basically everything that is needed?
Is it going to work with a flash tune as well?
Also, any idea why fuel-it offers an option to sell you a Split Second and JB4 controller simultaneously? I'm not really sure why you would need both.
You should be looking at F-series kits: http://www.fuel-it.biz/f-series-fuel-system-upgrades/

F-series PI kits: http://www.fuel-it.biz/f-series-port-injection-1/

You only need one injector controller, and on the page above you can only choose between 3 options, not get both. The integrated JB4 controller is far better than the Split Second controller, but obviously you need a JB4 to run it.

Along with PI, you need an upgraded LPFP: http://www.fuel-it.biz/f-series-stage-2-lpfp-upgrade/
      06-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
aarodynamics
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

It seems like I should go with this:
Name:  snip_20170610114814.png
Views: 802
Size:  296.7 KB

And then this LPFP:
Name:  snip_20170610114947.png
Views: 785
Size:  212.1 KB

Sound about right?

Is there any harm in going with the 750cc injectors? Not sure how to make that decision after some quick searching.

Quote:
Basic kit inludes: (This kit does NOT include any fuel lines)
Fuel-It! custom black anodized spacer for the intake manifold
Fuel-It! custom black anodized fuel rail
Black anodized aluminum and stainless steel hardware
Dual fuel supply port for those that are running inlets in the stock location (email us for info)
Optional return port for those that will be running an upgraded fuel pressure regulator*
Six of the following:
Flow matched Bosch injectors (52#)
Extended length steel studs (and a bolt) for mounting your new spacer*
BMW OEM gaskets

Bronze kit inludes:
Basic port injection kit
Basic fuel line connection kit
Two custom Fuel-It! fittings to maintain your stock fuel line connections at the HPFP and the feed line as it enters the engine bay
-6an (3/8") upgraded fuel lines
High flow "Y" adapter
90 degree elbow for the fuel rail connection

Silver kit inludes:
Basic port injection kit
An upgraded fuel line that completely replaces the stock fuel line

Gold kit inludes:
Basic port injection kit
Integrated ethanol sensor*(additional ethanol analyzer must be installed to read ethanol content)

Platinum kit inludes:
Basic port injection kit
Integrated ethanol sensor
Bluetooth and JB4 compatible ethanol analyzer
JB4 integration compatible 0-5volt
Bluetooth*(Iphone or Android app must be purchased to use this feature)
If you are using an Apple product the app can be*found by clicking here
* If you are using an Andriod product the app can be*found by clicking here
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #10
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It seems like I should go with this:
Attachment 1638569

And then this LPFP:
Attachment 1638570

Sound about right?

Is there any harm in going with the 750cc injectors? Not sure how to make that decision after some quick searching.
At this point you should be emailing Steve at Fuel-It. I don't know of anyone running the 750cc injectors.