THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Two way radio install M240

06-03-2017, 09:14 PM   #1
Troppo
Keyboard warrior
Rep
Drives: X3.

Two way radio install M240

Hello all,

I recently installed a 2-way radio in my 240. Some pics and notes provided below for those of you who may be contemplating a similar job.

The radio is a Motorola DM4600e commercial unit, but the principles are the same for any radio.

The radio has a remote head. The head was mounted in the front "ashtray" area. Not an easy job! You need to pull the console apart.

Fortunately, the little rubber mat at the bottom of the ashtray/storage bin comes out easily, exposing some very convenient holes underneath. This also means that if/when you pull the radio out, the mat will cover any extra holes - you would never know they are there...

The main radio body was mounted in the boot. Power comes from the (very conveniently) located battery. The pos and neg were wired direct to the battery, and fuse 147 was used for ignition sense (thanks Will Ford), so the radio auto powers up when you start the car, and powers down when you get out and lock it.

As I have a sunroof, I couldn't mount an antenna on the roof, so I used a through the glass antenna on the rear window - you need to be careful to avoid the demister wires..

It is quite neat and being black, blends in well. Performance is quite good for a through the glass model.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Very nice .
What do you use a two way radio for ?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
Troppo
Keyboard warrior
Rep

Thanks.

I use it for business stuff and also ham radio.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 11:03 AM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Very cool install, and a blast from the past, when the really serious speeding required a CB. Curious why you did not use the dash area right above - the blank faceplate area. Too much dash-structure behind it, or just simpler to put it where you did?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
josedebardi
Rep
Drives: M240i Convertible

Nice. I also use CB regularly. In fact last night was testing 5x new rigs for some friends as we are going on a tour of Wales in July.
I have an Intek H-520 handheld with car adaptor for easy install/destall rather than permanent fixing though.
They are great fun though!
2Res Del, MP Exht/Crbn Splr/Spltr/Crbn Intr/Dfsr
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
Troppo
Keyboard warrior
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Very cool install, and a blast from the past, when the really serious speeding required a CB. Curious why you did not use the dash area right above - the blank faceplate area. Too much dash-structure behind it, or just simpler to put it where you did?

Thanks. Yes, the head location was the easiest.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00