E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please help me identify a noise coming from front left area of suspension.

05-29-2017, 02:21 AM   #1
Deluxx3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

Please help me identify a noise coming from front left area of suspension.

Recently I noticed a weird and somewhat of an annoying clunking noise. I only hear it when I go over bumps on the road and sometimes it's really loud where as other time it's hardly noticeable. That being said, I don't know what is causing it and where it comes from. I will add a link to a video where I deliberately drive over some rough parts of a road for demonstration purposes.

Could it be a loose top nut? Could it be something else? It sounds like something is loose and here is space between the two things and something is bouncing around. Makes me feel uneasy driving 80mph on the highway :/

Here's the video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wbbcaif8b9...%20AM.mov?dl=0
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 03:19 AM   #2
stelvio
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 335xi + E70 X5d

Wow that's terrible! I would get that up in the air ASAP before something terrible happens!

Lower control arms could going [bushings in them], they seem to be fairly soft from factory..not sure why.
If you go over a bump at higher speeds and the front seems like it's taking it fairly harsh it might be your shocks.
Also check wheel bearing.
I doubt the tie-rods are that loose [you'd feel the play in the steering wheel].
I also doubt your caliper is loose but the car's not in front of me so who knows what has happened to that car.
Also make sure you torque your wheels appropriately. If you don't have a torque wrench I suggest you take your car to the shop for everything.

You should understand that it is impossible for someone to listen to a video clip via internets and know what the problem is. You need to first understand how the suspension/steering works in order to troubleshoot the components yourself. Go to bmwfans.info and type in the last 7 of your vin and study parts diagrams.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Deluxx3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelvio View Post
Wow that's terrible! I would get that up in the air ASAP before something terrible happens!

Lower control arms could going [bushings in them], they seem to be fairly soft from factory..not sure why.
If you go over a bump at higher speeds and the front seems like it's taking it fairly harsh it might be your shocks.
Also check wheel bearing.
I doubt the tie-rods are that loose [you'd feel the play in the steering wheel].
I also doubt your caliper is loose but the car's not in front of me so who knows what has happened to that car.
Also make sure you torque your wheels appropriately. If you don't have a torque wrench I suggest you take your car to the shop for everything.

You should understand that it is impossible for someone to listen to a video clip via internets and know what the problem is. You need to first understand how the suspension/steering works in order to troubleshoot the components yourself. Go to bmwfans.info and type in the last 7 of your vin and study parts diagrams.
I'm bringing it in tomorrow to get it checked out because I had the wheels aligned and now it's back to the way it was.
I'm not certain of that, but I think that this issue contributes to it
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
maxoutput
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 2005

Also check strut brace bolts, shock top nut , tie rods and sway bar bushes.
Appreciate 0