BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

05-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
BMW Key Storage

I bought a new M3 from my dealer that had been taken on some test drives and was wondering how I would be able to tell if the car had been taken to the redline at all during the break-in period. (P.S. I kind of got ripped off paying 3k over and now realize that )
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

Sorry, don't know how you could tell about redline before you got the car, but what does this have to do with key storage
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
I bought a new M3 from my dealer that had been taken on some test drives and was wondering how I would be able to tell if the car had been taken to the redline at all during the break-in period. (P.S. I kind of got ripped off paying 3k over and now realize that )
I don't think that info is stored on the key memory, but a memory dump of the CPU would have some stored data. On the E46 they could tell max. revs and amount of time over certain revs. I would guess the E92 would have more capability.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
BCMPOWER
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3

I believe only service information and check control functions are stored on the key, and the key has to be in the ignition. For many with comfort access that rarely happens. I found this out taking my car for service my Service advisor read the key and nothing was on it. After a quick insertion into the ignition it was spewing out fault codes! I am sure BMW's computer would store how the car was driven just for a maintenance point of view. However getting this information from a dealer is another story. Unless you blew your engine like I have read some has already done.
      05-05-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMPOWER View Post
I believe only service information and check control functions are stored on the key, and the key has to be in the ignition. For many with comfort access that rarely happens. I found this out taking my car for service my Service advisor read the key and nothing was on it. After a quick insertion into the ignition it was spewing out fault codes!
Okay, I wasn't sure if info was sent to the key wirelessly. The manual is not very clear.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
karalunj
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

The dealer can tell you if it has been redlined

I know this for fact that they can tell since they are trying to use it against me in my quest for a lemon law settlement. BMW Customer Care mentioned that it clearly states in the report that the tech pulled up an over rev code. I did not do it and always break my vehicles in according to specs and inquired a my local dealer. They told me the car was indeed over reved at one point but exactly when is not possible to decipher. I was not the first to drive car and suspect a salesman or prospective buyer did it upon test drive. I hope that that info helps..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by karalunj View Post
I know this for fact that they can tell since they are trying to use it against me in my quest for a lemon law settlement. BMW Customer Care mentioned that it clearly states in the report that the tech pulled up an over rev code. I did not do it and always break my vehicles in according to specs and inquired a my local dealer. They told me the car was indeed over reved at one point but exactly when is not possible to decipher. I was not the first to drive car and suspect a salesman or prospective buyer did it upon test drive. I hope that that info helps..
In your case, unless the can time and date stamp the "events", there is no way to prove whether you did it, or some lot jockey or tech while it was in for service. A good lawyer would have that "evidence" dismissed in no time.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMPOWER View Post
I believe only service information and check control functions are stored on the key, and the key has to be in the ignition. For many with comfort access that rarely happens. I found this out taking my car for service my Service advisor read the key and nothing was on it. After a quick insertion into the ignition it was spewing out fault codes! I am sure BMW's computer would store how the car was driven just for a maintenance point of view. However getting this information from a dealer is another story. Unless you blew your engine like I have read some has already done.
Would you be able to point me in the direction of sites/places I can read about this? This is the first I've heard of motor problem(s) with the S85 and I want to stay as informed about this as possible as I do plan on tracking my car.
Appreciate 0