E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > still have misfire codes plus a new P1056 and p1017

05-22-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
325eyeguy
Rep
Drives: E90 325i metallic grey

still have misfire codes plus a new P1056 and p1017

past week i have been diagnosing a misfire that started in cylinder 1 then as i replaced coils/plugs/did more testing it moved around all the cyliders except 2&4. today i got a new code p1056 and p1017. p1017 popped up when i unplugged the ess from the top of the valve cover, i put back in once the engine stared to run abnormally (i did this to see how the engine would react to me taking out the sensor to see if it was completely faulty or not) that sensor did have a small amount of oil inside but after i plugged it back in and turned the car off and restarted it that code went away. i still have a p0306 code so today i tested the coil and got no spark then swapped it onto cylinder 2 and still no spark. i was about to believe that coil to be my culprit but i scanned one more time and thats when p1056 popped up for the first time and also p1017 also appeared again.

my buddy told me to check fuses and grounds but im noob and dont know where to find them/what exactly to look for. ive been googling/ lurking forums the past few hours but all the info is confusing me, someone says one thing someone else says another ect...

tldr i dont want to drive to a shop unless i have no other options and ive already thrown a couple hundred bucks into the car the past week trying to figure this out and i dont want to keep doing that. as of now im leaning towards replacing the eccentric shaft sensor + gasket and then probably the vvt motor gasket aswell, yesterday i did just my valve cover gasket because none of these other codes became apparent.

i would highly appreciate advice from anyone willing to give it, thank you!

2006 e90 325i auto 108k miles
Appreciate 0