E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d must haves

05-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
flynryan
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

335d must haves

My sons gf just bought herself this 11'335d and I just replaced the harmonic balancer. It has 100k miles on it. Now her cel light came on so I scanned it and it said p02ce I think is what is was so I looked up the code and said it needed a new injector to the tune of $500 give or take some $ then my free labor.
While Im there is there somethings I should do like the walnut blasting? I read something about egr delete but I do live in Ca so would this be something that a smog station would be able to detect or can I install it and forget about it?
Shes doesnt have ton of $ so just looking for some easy low cost must do's to keep this thing running for a long time.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynryan View Post
My sons gf just bought herself this 11'335d and I just replaced the harmonic balancer. It has 100k miles on it. Now her cel light came on so I scanned it and it said p02ce I think is what is was so I looked up the code and said it needed a new injector to the tune of $500 give or take some $ then my free labor.
While Im there is there somethings I should do like the walnut blasting? I read something about egr delete but I do live in Ca so would this be something that a smog station would be able to detect or can I install it and forget about it?
Shes doesnt have ton of $ so just looking for some easy low cost must do's to keep this thing running for a long time.
Thanks
Youll have a CEL for the egr delete.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

for the injector run a healthy (double dosed) tankful of injector cleaner (standyne or hot shot's available at autozone) and then clear code. I had this code on injector #2 and #4 about 15K miles ago and hasn't been back. Also, perhaps adaptations need to be reset.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
flynryan
Rep

What are adaptations and how do you reset them?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
for the injector run a healthy (double dosed) tankful of injector cleaner (standyne or hot shot's available at autozone) and then clear code. I had this code on injector #2 and #4 about 15K miles ago and hasn't been back. Also, perhaps adaptations need to be reset.

This is what I did and my cel has also gone away for about 2000 miles and going...

If you live in CA you I don't think you can delete and get away with it. if you want to delete you will need to get a tune to program out the products removed out of the system.. that will run you about $1000+ and removal of the computer and mailing it... to reset adaptations you will need a "real" scan tool (foxwell nt510) with the abilities to go into the computer..

start with a double shot of a good diesel fuel cleaner and try a diesel station that has a lot of diesel traffic. there fuel from what I understand is "better" as is does not stay in the storage tanks as long.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #6
Mrdeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport

Girl without much money buys a 335d with a 100k on it. This does not sound promising ��
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Have her sell it and buy a car more fitting for a person who doesn't have their own mechanical skills or enough money to pay someone else to do it. If she has to have an entry level luxury car get a Lexus
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #8
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

buy the injector on ebay from sprintersupplier half that price
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #9
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Have her sell it and buy a car more fitting for a person who doesn't have their own mechanical skills or enough money to pay someone else to do it. If she has to have an entry level luxury car get a Lexus
This is the cold, hard truth. These cars are not a good entry level luxury car. They're expensive unless you can work on them yourself, and even then they aren't cheap.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #10
JayNC335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d w/ Sport pkg

Yea, she should probably do an ES350 and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #11
flynryan
Rep

Its a $15k used car and I dont think she did any research on the diesel. I had no idea that the diesels were expensive to maintain. $500-600 for a injector is outrageous for anyone that owns one of these and I dont care if you can afford it or not. I can do all the repairs to it myself for her along with my son and we would do this for her because she is a great girl. The is250 has carbon build up too that needs the same thing as the bmw btw.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #12
JayNC335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d w/ Sport pkg

The 335d is a great vehicle, but it's a niche vehicle. It is expensive to maintain whether you do the work yourself or not, but most people are hear because they enjoy the vehicle. I think the assumption, and it likely could be a false assumption, is that if she doesn't enjoy to drive and what this vehicle can do, none of us here would likely recommend in absence of driver appreciation.

Either way, good thing she's got someone that can do the work for her! I personally have 55k on mine with a tune, and only had a Nox sense, and 2 random electronic issues all under warranty. Oh and some stupid windshield wiper fluid gelling up ha. Gotta love Bmw requiring non auto part store windshield wiper fluid ha.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #13
flynryan
Rep

She did know the performance aspect of the car and wanted to compete with her boyfriends focus st (stage 2). That being said and because she isnt as knowledgeable as much as us forum people I dont think she knew about the harmonic balancer that it seems almost all of these have issues with and now the injector issue and how much money they are not to mention the valves and carbon build up. These are just some of the things I have read about and Im sure there are more. Many people buy vehicles because they like the way they look and dont have a clue about maintaining them. Her uncle owns a bmw salvage yard/mechanic shop in Northern Ca and knew he could get her parts cheap. So if he can come through with parts and we can install them then she is doing ok.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 07:58 AM   #14
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynryan View Post
She did know the performance aspect of the car and wanted to compete with her boyfriends focus st (stage 2). That being said and because she isnt as knowledgeable as much as us forum people I dont think she knew about the harmonic balancer that it seems almost all of these have issues with and now the injector issue and how much money they are not to mention the valves and carbon build up. These are just some of the things I have read about and Im sure there are more. Many people buy vehicles because they like the way they look and dont have a clue about maintaining them. Her uncle owns a bmw salvage yard/mechanic shop in Northern Ca and knew he could get her parts cheap. So if he can come through with parts and we can install them then she is doing ok.
Did you catch Omaha's point about the ebay seller of injectors? We as a community have found suppliers of different parts well below the OEM BMW prices. For instance, where did you buy the harmonic balance? Some got their's from Europe for a really good deal. We all guessed it was OEM part as the BMW name was ground off.

To the rest here, it sounds like the lady has trusted mechanics to sort out the 335D for her. Keep reading here to learn how to deal with potential future issues. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #15
flynryan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Did you catch Omaha's point about the ebay seller of injectors? We as a community have found suppliers of different parts well below the OEM BMW prices. For instance, where did you buy the harmonic balance? Some got their's from Europe for a really good deal. We all guessed it was OEM part as the BMW name was ground off.

To the rest here, it sounds like the lady has trusted mechanics to sort out the 335D for her. Keep reading here to learn how to deal with potential future issues. Good luck.
Thank you for the positive remarks. I did take note of the Sprinter sales on ebay from the other member so thanks. These forums are full of useful info and I appreciate it all!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #16
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

What bmw salvage yard in northern California? Would be good to know of a place that might have 335d parts, or just a good supply of e90 lci interior parts as mine has crossed 150k miles and the cheaper interior parts are starting to wear
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #17
Billysgoat
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Pick up a small grey bottle of Power Service diesel clean and dump in the tank at the next fill up. Replace the fuel filter and run the wee-wee out of it a bit before replacing the injector.
Appreciate 0