E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Passenger restraint malfunction. **** resolved ****

05-17-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

Passenger restraint malfunction. **** resolved ****

Just a little rant to begin. Last 30 days my e93 has not been very nice to me.

- On the same hot as f@&k weather my blower motor took a shit and my convertible top with its intermittent opening issues finally threw in the towel (top opening issue resolved, see my other post if interested).

- TPMS malfunction ( now resolved)

- slow coolant leak that I cannot locate ( still looking)

- and last but not least...... foglamp malfunction. (Still not addressed, at the bottom of the list to look into)

Anyway onto the main issue of this thread. Received blower motor today and installed. All went well. Fairly straight forward job. Went to start car and bam passenger restraint malfunction. Never had this malfunction before. Plugged in the BT to pull the code and nothing. Well there were some codes but they were all listed as "will not produce warning light" and "code not currently present (or something to that effect) Very well. Deleted them, but the malfunction warning persisted. Gave it some thought, cursed some, thought more, cursed some more. You get the idea.

Things checked/looked at:
- Every fuse checked- all were good.
- checked wiring under the seat (even though I didn't even go near them) - all good/connected.
- pulled the glove box out again to recheck everything. In case I pulled a wire loose or broke something. Thought maybe the connection to the knee air bag came un-done. All wires, connectors intact. Nothing broken. Put back together.
- took car for a drive- thought maybe computer works itself out. No luck.
Started car code still there.

I have given up for the night. Tomorrow will look into a place that maybe can pull a code and reset. No luck with the BT program. I thought that it had the capability to delete the airbag codes.

Forgot to mention. I put the car in accessory mode while the glove box was still out to test the new blower before I completely installed it. Could the car have thrown the code because the knee airbag and requires a reset even after the air bag has been connected again?

Any insight/suggestions is appreciated.

Last edited by Navy Doc; 05-22-2017 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

For anyone that is interested. Fixed the malfunction with the passenger restraint. It was due to me turning the car on, to test the blower motor before I fully installed it, while the knee airbag was unplugged. The malfunction just needed to be reset.

The issue with this was that I did the reset with the BT, but the error remained. Ended up riding a BMW scanning tool (C110). This tool was able to clear the error. Has not returned since.
Appreciate 0