BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Tips for Cleaning Dirty Wheels on a Clean Car?

05-12-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Tips for Cleaning Dirty Wheels on a Clean Car?

Hey folks, like many of you my M2 suffers from chronically dirty wheels on an otherwise pretty clean car. i tend to not take the car out in the rain unless I absolutely have to, so I can go weeks and weeks with nothing but clean, dry, driving. With all the rain we have in Seattle there's minimal issue with dust in the air so it's possible to really stretch your wash intervals out.

However, the wheels get coated in brake dust FAST!

I'd like a routine for quickly and easily cleaning up the wheels that doesn't impact my otherwise pretty clean car. Anyone got any tips, techniques, trade secrets, to share on this topic?

Last edited by DETRoadster; 05-12-2017 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
Dragster RR
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

My wheels are coated!

First off, my wheels are coated, so that may help with my weekly routine.

I simply take a microfiber cloth and spray it with quick detail spray (or a little ONR solution) then wipe each wheel. I end up using 3-5 cloths because they do get dirty quickly, especially if you clean the calipers and behind the wheel 'spokes' which I do.

I don't like spraying the wheels directly with detail spray, because if it hits the rotor, it promotes rust and orange dust. Plus, I tend to saturate the cloth just enough to lift off the brake dust, while still providing adequate lubricity (i.e., don't want to scratch the wheels).

This part takes about 5 min / wheel.

Then I go over the tire sidewalls with Adams VRT.

Yeah, its a PITA and I do miss the CCBs I had on my other cars!
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragster RR View Post

I simply take a microfiber cloth and spray it with quick detail spray (or a little ONR solution) then wipe each wheel. I end up using 3-5 cloths because they do get dirty quickly, especially if you clean the calipers and behind the wheel 'spokes' which I do.

I don't like spraying the wheels directly with detail spray, because if it hits the rotor, it promotes rust and orange dust. Plus, I tend to saturate the cloth just enough to lift off the brake dust, while still providing adequate lubricity (i.e., don't want to scratch the wheels).

Awesome tips! Thank you! I've been thinking about coating my wheels and you've just convinced me to do it. Did you pull the wheels off so you could coat the inside lip as well or did you just coat the outside face of the spokes?

Do you find you can get the brake dust that the microfiber towel picks up washed off or do you have to trash the towel after?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
Dragster RR
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Not sure if they pulled the wheels off to coat (I'll ask the company that did the coating, window tint, and ppf for me).

I "demote" my microfiber cloths. When I no longer think they are soft/good enough to dry car/touch painted car surface, they get "demoted" to wheel cloths. The brake dust stains the cloths; black color never really comes out. I do wash on hottest cycle with just a little liquid detergent, and double rinse cycle (I do the same for my paint microfiber cloths, but in a separate batch).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Awesome tips! Thank you! I've been thinking about coating my wheels and you've just convinced me to do it. Did you pull the wheels off so you could coat the inside lip as well or did you just coat the outside face of the spokes?

Do you find you can get the brake dust that the microfiber towel picks up washed off or do you have to trash the towel after?
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2017, 06:43 AM   #5
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

I think the ONR idea is a great one. Getting them coated will help you keep them clean much easier.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #6
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I must be too old school. I just take an old towel wet it down (to add weight) drape it over the top of the tire, wash the wheel like I normally do and hold up the edge of the towel and spray the wheel clean. The towel catches the over spray.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
I think the ONR idea is a great one. Getting them coated will help you keep them clean much easier.

Bruce
Great idea! I actually have a bottle of ONR in the cabinet that I bought a few years back and never could bring myself to use, not matter how many videos I watched of Ferrari's being successfully cleaned with it, scratch free. I'll definitely try that out on the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
I must be too old school. I just take an old towel wet it down (to add weight) drape it over the top of the tire, wash the wheel like I normally do and hold up the edge of the towel and spray the wheel clean. The towel catches the over spray.
You're old school and also more talented than I am. I've tried this and I still make a mess! I'm also the guy that tripped and kicked over his rinse bucket full of dirty water at the end of the wash and, yeah, splashed the side of my freshly washed AND DRIED car with dirty water. Yep. That's me. Beyond clumsy.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #9
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragster RR View Post

Wheels need to be pulled to coat. You can also use just a sealant like Sonax PNS on the entire wheel. Not as effective as a coating, but lasts for a good 4-6 mos. I have some you can use of you'd rather test it out before buying it yourself. I use it on the car also, for its phenomenal "hydrophobicity"

Ideally, you just want to swap out your pads. I popped in the Carbotech 1521s and dust issue is now non-existant. I have also used EBC red stuff, and they also work well in terms of dusting.

My favorite pads were Akebono Euro, but don't think they make our pad shape.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #10
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

ONR

Quote:
Great idea! I actually have a bottle of ONR in the cabinet that I bought a few years back and never could bring myself to use, not matter how many videos I watched of Ferrari's being successfully cleaned with it, scratch free. I'll definitely try that out on the wheels.
I have used it on vehicles that are slightly dirty with great results. I think you have to know the limits of the process. I wouldn't use it on a neglected car. Its great for onsite show prep. Did that this past weekend with a jet black 55 Bel Air that we polished and had not ill effects.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #11
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2002 View Post
Wheels need to be pulled to coat. You can also use just a sealant like Sonax PNS on the entire wheel. Not as effective as a coating, but lasts for a good 4-6 mos. I have some you can use of you'd rather test it out before buying it yourself. I use it on the car also, for its phenomenal "hydrophobicity"

Ideally, you just want to swap out your pads. I popped in the Carbotech 1521s and dust issue is now non-existant. I have also used EBC red stuff, and they also work well in terms of dusting.

Great info, thanks! I've got Gyeon Wheel sealer on order now. I'll be pulling the wheels off to thoroughly clean , prep, and seal.

Did you replace pads at all 4 corners or just the fronts, which seem to be the bigger offenders due to the natural brake bias towards the front?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2002 View Post

Great info, thanks! I've got Gyeon Wheel sealer on order now. I'll be pulling the wheels off to thoroughly clean , prep, and seal.

Did you replace pads at all 4 corners or just the fronts, which seem to be the bigger offenders due to the natural brake bias towards the front?
All 4. Never messed with different compounds on street pads. Should be OK, since the rears probably get lightly used anyway
Appreciate 0