E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Urgent question about wheel

05-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
simonhch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 435xi M Sport

Urgent question about wheel

I'm currently stuck in Kentucky. I need to get back to Chicago tonight. My tire wasn't holding pressure, and I managed to find a tire shop that was open on a Sunday. They pulled it and found a small one inch crack on the inside lip of my rear drivers side wheel (Forgestar F14). I just had the tire replaced because there was shoulder damage. The crack has been heat resined and it is holding air no problem. With the crack being in a non structural area of the rim, is it safe for me to make the 4-5 hour drive home at about 55mph?

I'm under serious pressure to get home tonight as I have to pick up my daughter and make an important meeting tomorrow. I appreciate it's not ideal, and I will be replacing the wheel as soon as I get back. I just want to be sure I am not risking the lives of myself and my wife. No idea how long the crack has been there.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #2
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Probably. Don't hit any potholes at any speed or all bets are off.

But once you get back, change that sucker out. It IS a hazard.

EDIT: Oh yes, also have some rubber patch or somesuch as an emergency roadside goop to make the wheel airtight in case the crack widens during the trip.
To be clear, the wheel is toast. You can use it sort of like an emergency spare.
      05-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
simonhch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 435xi M Sport

Thank you. I'm just going to take it really easy.
Appreciate 0