E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > changed battery now car won't start!

05-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

changed battery now car won't start!

i just changed my battery on my e90 07' 328xi all lights work and so forth but the car won't turn. it cranks and cranks for along as i keep my foot on the gas for. I'm hoping its not the starter i hooked up my laptop to see if maybe it'll throw some codes (using aa simon 3) but software doesn't recognize car anymore and is asking for which dme i have so thats out of the picture. has anyone had an issue like this currently?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90joee View Post
i just changed my battery on my e90 07' 328xi all lights work and so forth but the car won't turn. it cranks and cranks for along as i keep my foot on the gas for. I'm hoping its not the starter i hooked up my laptop to see if maybe it'll throw some codes (using aa simon 3) but software doesn't recognize car anymore and is asking for which dme i have so thats out of the picture. has anyone had an issue like this currently?
Recheck the connections at the battery on the positive terminal where the IBS is connected. There is the safety mechanism for rollover and if you didn't put everything back correctly, you won't get it to start.
      05-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #3
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post
Quote:
Recheck the connections at the battery on the positive terminal where the IBS is connected. There is the safety mechanism for rollover and if you didn't put everything back correctly, you won't get it to start.
Found out while putting back the battery i must of smashed these off or something now im freaking out because i dont know where these goes
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Aren't those just the connectors for transporting the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Aren't those just the connectors for transporting the vehicle?
: i dont know really
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 10:06 PM   #6
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Found out while putting back the battery i must of smashed these off or something now im freaking out because i dont know where these goes
The black sheathed that has a blue connector at its end is the one that is coming from the IBS on the negative battery post. You need the find a corresponding connector to this somewhere in the vicinity of the negative post, above it. I haven't checked my car for this to see, but that is what it looks like. Compare to these:

http://aswr-partsimages.s3.amazonaws...87dca2d6d0.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...wLPpa3l3TScOvg

I don't know what those other two wires are, that have their connector fallen off. They don't seem to be that not used cable [i.e. the so called transport cable that dangles empty]. That has a black connector at its end, and it has blue and red color wires, with a black sheath on it.

Maybe some non OEM add on was added later on removed?

Last edited by PhaseP; 05-06-2017 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #7
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Also there is a sticker on that black sheathed on with blue connector at its end. Try to google the numbers written on the sticker, it may give clues.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
The black sheathed that has a blue connector at its end is the one that is coming from the IBS on the negative battery post. You need the find a corresponding connector to this somewhere in the vicinity of the negative post, above it. I haven't checked my car for this to see, but that is what it looks like. Compare to these:

http://aswr-partsimages.s3.amazonaws...87dca2d6d0.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...wLPpa3l3TScOvg

I don't know what those other two wires are, that have their connector fallen off. They don't seem to be that not used cable. That has a black connector at its end, and it blue and red color wires, with a black sheath on it.
Maybe some non OEM add on was added later on removed?

I've been looking can't really find anything to plug it into. i seen youtube videos to even see if they disconnect/connect it somewhere and nothing. my brand new battery drained again.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 10:32 PM   #9
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

It is actually right in front of you, but broken in pieces

I took a look in my car and took a picture.

The two ends stripped of is the other end of the IBS that goes to DME (computer). See the attached picture, it shows how they are supposed to be connected. If you can piece them back together, the gray wire from battery post IBS needs to connect to the white (yellowish in the picture) wire on the other end. And the blue/white wire from battery IBS needs to connect to the green/red wire on the other end. I think, not sure because I didn't disassembly mine, there is blue coupling connecter between the two. The other side has its own blue connector. Which explains the two blue connector/coupling pieces lying down in your picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
E90joee147.00
galahad05158.00
      05-06-2017, 10:36 PM   #10
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
It is actually right in front of you, but broken in pieces

I took a look in my car and took a picture.

The two ends stripped of is the other end of the IBS that goes to DME (computer). See the attached picture, it shows how they are supposed to be connected. If you can piece them back together, the gray wire from battery post IBS needs to connect to the white (yellowish in the picture) wire on the other end. And the blue/white wire from battery IBS needs to connect to the green/red wire on the other end. I think, not sure because I didn't disassembly mine, there is blue coupling connecter between the two. The other side has its own blue connector. Which explains the two blue connector/coupling pieces lying down in your picture.

ahh smart man. thanks i hope that works cause my battery drained again and i just got it today so i hope thats the issue!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 10:41 PM   #11
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Please disconnect the negative battery cable first before trying to get them connected. You don't want to fry the DME side or the IBS micro computer on the battery post side.

Also the IBS, the bulky thing that is on the end of the negative battery cable that goes on the post, is somewhat brittle. Documentation says not to bend it, not pull on it, handle with care.

When I disconnect it to do work, I place a couple of times folded (dry) paper towel between it and the post to isolate it and let it rest there.
Appreciate 0