E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > airbag / seatbelt lights

05-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
des16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi

airbag / seatbelt lights

My car had the Takata airbag fixed last week, and the day after I got it back the airbag light and seatbelt light illuminated. I called the dealer and he said it was likely a coincidence, but, he would look at it when he had a chance in a couple of weeks because they are very busy. He also said that there is nothing to worry about -- the airbag will not explode and the seat belt will work. I wish I was as confident as he was. Prior to the airbag being replaced I was in a rental. He said this was a different issue and they would not extend the rental. I am suspicious and concerned about the safety of driving the car. It also seems implausible that the problem is not the result of something they did during the supposed repair. I would appreciate anyone advice or insights into what might be going on and if anyone had a problem after the airbag replacement.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
jarsdad1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, 2015 X1 3.5

The dealer is right. It's an annoyance not safety issue. I would be gracious and "let" them fix it. A lot of dealers would have backed away from ownership of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 02:27 AM   #3
nm3
Rep
Drives: 2006 325 i

I had a similar issue and after researching online and trouble shooting myself it turnend out to be a loose connection on the battery. It seems if something is moved arounf the battery terminals and components it triggers the passanger seat belt light to come on. Perhaps they disconnected the battery to do some of the work and something is not tight enough ot plugged.
In my case I went trough all the things that are on the battery and found a platic cap that seemed unimportant but it was not closed all the way, once I closed it and hear it snap the light went away. Never came back.
Appreciate 0