THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics iDrive - can't save CarPlay screens?

05-01-2017, 02:51 AM   #1
maxiedaniels
Private
Rep
Drives: NA

iDrive - can't save CarPlay screens?

I was hoping to save CarPlay screens (ex. Spotify playlists) on a favorite button.. but it says unable to save. It seems I can only save radio stations and certain iDrive screens. Do you think this will change at some point?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:03 AM   #2
josedebardi
Rep
Drives: M240i Convertible

It's the same on all Marques I've tried with CarPlay thus far. Shortcuts are in capable of directly going to the relevant CarPlay app.

Given it appears to be a global problem to all cars I'm assuming that Apple have failed to provide an API that allows the car to open anything other than the Home Screen, which is pretty annoying! In Audi's for example, pressing the 'Tel' button simply gets you a message pop up saying 'Not Possible' and you end up going menu-diving to find CarPlay and then to the Phone app.

I'm hoping Apple will rectify this and allow at the very least the ability for the car to go direct to in-built apps (Phone, Music etc), but it really shouldn't be too hard for them to allow the car to request any app name (worst case being you shortcut'd Spotify, then deleted the app from the phone and when pressing the shortcut you get an error saying 'App Not Found' and get dumped in the Home Screen).

That said, I don't think you will ever get a car shortcut to go to a specific phone app's page (Playlists of Spotify per your example), but to open a specific phone app I think will come in the near-ish future.
2Res Del, MP Exht/Crbn Splr/Spltr/Crbn Intr/Dfsr
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 01:45 AM   #3
maxiedaniels
Private
Rep
Drives: NA

Yeah this is a huge bummer.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
Zoomigo
Rep
Drives: 2020 SOM M2C

Only CarPlay function I have been able to map is "now playing". Not completely convenient, but at least I have a fast way to get into CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 02:54 AM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Carplay is a poorly integrated afterthought/separate system. Certain HUD functions as well as hotkeys are not accessible with Carplay.

With each update, there are improvements. But, release notes are never distributed and no way to know what might occur. Further, unfortunately, OTA do not apply to major software; as such, can only get these through flash programming.
Appreciate 0