THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics DIY VIDEO - Make a Turn Key Digital Gauge System from an old smartphone

04-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
Boosted Autos
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Exclamation DIY VIDEO - Make a Turn Key Digital Gauge System from an old smartphone

Hi guys,

The iDrive gauges are cool and all, but what if you want to see critical information about your engine performance such as Oil and Coolant Temp, Boost pressure etc?

What about data logging? How about even a complete media centre solution right at your finguretips while you drive.

Here's my solution.....

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:08 AM   #2
josedebardi
Rep
Drives: M240i Convertible

Really appreciated this video. I'd actually been researching Android and automating screen wake on car start etc the last couple of weeks for this exact purpose.

I plan to go one step further and install the phone as a HUD (something like this https://hudwayglass.com).
2Res Del, MP Exht/Crbn Splr/Spltr/Crbn Intr/Dfsr
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:43 AM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by josedebardi
Really appreciated this video. I'd actually been researching Android and automating screen wake on car start etc the last couple of weeks for this exact purpose.

I plan to go one step further and install the phone as a HUD (something like this https://hudwayglass.com).
I'd make damn sure that the mount is secure if you go that route. I forget all the physics mass per second per second bullshit but in the event of an accident phone flying at your trachea cannot end well for you physically.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
josedebardi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I'd make damn sure that the mount is secure if you go that route. I forget all the physics mass per second per second bullshit but in the event of an accident phone flying at your trachea cannot end well for you physically.
Yea, it'll be fixed, the phone will live in the car and I plan to make a custom 'surround' so it looks like a flat panel in the top of the dash (much as an OEM HUD does). This will also deter would-be thieves thinking I've left a phone on the dash for easy swiping!

Got inspired but this post http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=106
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Do some digging some of these aftermarket deals will mirror your phone screen think Hudly maybe? These companies all sound too similar Hudly, Hudster, etc etc. in that situation you'd have a tiny projector behind your visor and just the invisible screen glued to your dash.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #6
josedebardi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Do some digging some of these aftermarket deals will mirror your phone screen think Hudly maybe? These companies all sound too similar Hudly, Hudster, etc etc. in that situation you'd have a tiny projector behind your visor and just the invisible screen glued to your dash.
Yea it is hudly. I would buy it in a heartbeat expect that it mounts to the top of the windscreen with a seriously ugly pop up glass display. If it worked like a normal HUD mounted at the back of dash projecting onto the windscreen it would be ideal as you could still have the phone to hand to select what you want to view etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Mildly interesting

Arestech 5.5 inches A8 Multi-color HUD Head Up Display with OBD2, EUOBD Display KM/h MPH Speeding Warning, Fuel Consumption, Temperature https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VHSFG1M..._mL7bzbP0644JF
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
josedebardi
Rep

This appears to be exactly what I want http://www.springteq.com/HUDEN.html

I've emailed them to find out costs etc as it doesn't seem readily available on Ebay/Amazon. This would work perfectly alongside the phone mounted per the OP's instructions.
Appreciate 0