F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Tracking an F36?
proTUNING Freaks

04-29-2017, 05:50 AM   #1
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Tracking an F36?

It seems like everyone here tracks an F30 or an F32. Is there anyone out there who has tracked an F36? Any feedback? Tips?

Please, no "you should have bought _____ instead" comments. I chose the F36 because I preferred the lines and more accessible trunk. The F32 wasn't an option because I needed 4 doors. I know the F36 isn't the ideal option, but I'd rather have the right car for 363 days a year and live with the consequences for the other 2 days I might be at the track! ?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
RaleighDawg
Rep
Drives: 2016 328iX GT

I took out my F34 this weekend for the first time, for it and me, and it handled really well. So yours with less weight and height should be lots of fun too. I was surprised how well it did. When my ridealong took it out with the advanced group it took down a Cadillac CTS-V. It has stock everything and only had about 2k miles total so far. None of the M or track options. Breaks did just fine with no noticeable drop off. My tires we're probably what seemed like the weakest link. Got a little bit of chunking, but was all above the normal drive line.

Just go out and have fun and stay within your limits and it doesn't matter what car you go out on the track with.

Make sure you have insurance. Most personal policy's don't cover you on the track even if it isn't timed or a race. Just high speeds can cause it to be exempted from coverage. My policy didn't cover anything on a track that included driving at high speeds. I just got a HPDE policy from locktonmotorsports.com.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighDawg View Post
I just got a HPDE policy from locktonmotorsports.com.
do you pay per event?
is it roughly about $300 per event with Lockton?

I did 4 events last year without insurance ... but this year I don't want to take that risk and will be paying for insurance
just wanted to know the best way to get covered but not go broke

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
RaleighDawg
Rep

HPDE Insurance

This was my first event, so I only grabbed the single event insurance and it was about $300 to cover $45,000 in value. It seemed that you could get a discount if you purchase it for multiple events. I am not sure if you have to know what events you are participating in when you buy it or can link the events as you decide to go. The nice thing is that it was by event and not days, so if it is a two day event, it is the same price as a one day event. So it would pay to try and do multi-day events each time. And it covers your ride-a-long driving your car if you are in the beginner group and I think it covered a second driver too, if listed at purchase.

I believe there is a 10% discount if you are a member of a BMWCCA group and the event is put on by them.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
mdai245
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i XDrive

Quote:
This was my first event, so I only grabbed the single event insurance and it was about $300 to cover $45,000 in value. It seemed that you could get a discount if you purchase it for multiple events. I am not sure if you have to know what events you are participating in when you buy it or can link the events as you decide to go. The nice thing is that it was by event and not days, so if it is a two day event, it is the same price as a one day event. So it would pay to try and do multi-day events each time. And it covers your ride-a-long driving your car if you are in the beginner group and I think it covered a second driver too, if listed at purchase.

I believe there is a 10% discount if you are a member of a BMWCCA group and the event is put on by them.
Was reading the fine print. There is a 10% deductible on the claimed value of the car. Meaning that if your damages total anything less than 4500, you are SoL. Doesn't sound like a good deal for $300 per event for collison damage only unless you happen to total the car
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
RaleighDawg
Rep

Insurance

Totaling the car is the only reason to got it. I wasn't ready to risk the chance of having to come up with $45,000 so $300 and 10% made the difference for me to get out there. I found ones with 5% deductibles, but this group had great reviews everywhere I looked and when it comes to insurance the extra 5% is worth the comfort in knowing things would go smoothly for me.

A $4,500 mistake is one thing and would be manageable. But a $45,000 mistake is a totally different kind of hurt. That would be my fun budget for most of my remaining life, gone in one crash.

I need to look into insurance companies that will cover HPDE events with my normal coverage. I talked to a few at the track that said their agent said it was fine to go out there and would be covered. Also I figure every state is different in what would be covered. Since this event was in a state I don't live, it is hard to say if what they told me would translate to my state policies.

If you there are better insurance policies out there, I'd love to know so I can save a little money.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys. Yea I gambled and never got track insurance in the past. Then I hit some oil laid down another car, and let's just say I won't be hitting a track without insurance again. That was a hefty out of pocket expense I don't wish to repeat. Luckily it wasn't my F36!

The main reason for the post is to inquire about any possible areas to address before hitting the track. I experienced significant brake fade with my E82 for example. Also I know limp mode has been a problem in the past.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #8
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:

wow
that makes it a pretty good deal
too bad i can't do multi-day events (i mean, i could.. but i usually don't because of other obligations)

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #9
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep

So is there really nobody out there who has tracked an F36?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #10
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 EBII F36 430d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
I just did (F36 430d) and had tracked an F30 (335i) many times before. Just as much fun !
More info here : http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1392155
      06-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #11
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBlue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by syenisch View Post
I just did (F36 430d) and had tracked an F30 (335i) many times before. Just as much fun !
More info here : http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1392155
Thanks! Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #12
bwagner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 MW ZCP

I have about 20 track days on my F36, it has been great. When people ask about the car, I say it may be the best all-around vehicle around. From space for the family, the great hatch, good looks, all the way to competent track day car.
Appreciate 0