F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Wi-Fi Hotspot
proTUNING Freaks

04-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
bluehandle
Rep
Drives: 520

Wi-Fi Hotspot

Hi,

Has anyone gone for the Wi-Fi Hotspot option, and if so, what are the monthly cost options in the UK?

Cheers
Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
James Lafayette
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335D xDrive

It used to be ok when it was Vodafone (think it was 100 pa for 50GB), but it's a rip off now, It's 11quid for 1GB. It was an option I really wanted, but it's totally pointless now at the tariffs are crazy...

https://www.hotspotdrive.com/#/infos...oductcontracts

Last time I checked, the UK was more expensive than other countries too.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
bluehandle
Rep

Great - thanks for the link - I couldn't find any info anywhere.

It does seem a bit steep, but at least there is no long term contract so just getting a couple of GB during a holiday or something might work.

I assume it's 4G.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #4
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

It's such a stupid way to provide this service. I want to be able to put my own SIM in not pay those extortionate rates. That way I can buy a multi-GB mobile data SIM for much lower cost. Yes the seamless roaming is a nice feature but I can always pick up a SIM abroad anyway. Or even hire one if need multi-country access.

Also if you do set it up remember your devices will think they are on 'fixed, unlimited broadband'. For instance in the case of Apple they will start to upload new pics and videos to the cloud (imagine a couple with kids all with their own phones on holiday), backup, update larger apps which won't update over mobile and might even start to download any media like TV and Movies in your queue.

This will blow a GB in minutes on some occasions. BMW say you have to disable all these services when you get in the car. That will include any iPads / tablets the kids have too. What a pain in the ....

Oh and if you've got WiFi Calling enabled your phones will ditch their nice mobility optimised 3G or 4G carrier and will instead try to send your calls as IP traffic over your in car hot spot!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 04:03 AM   #5
MickyD'bo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 335d xDrive

Seems like a bit of a waste of time and energy to me. What would this be needed for?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 05:55 AM   #6
bluehandle
Rep

I assume it's mostly for tablets that don't have a sim and are just wifi enabled.

I didn't actually choose this option, it's bundled in with the innovation pack. However it's got to be more useful than the 'Internet' option I have on my 5 series at the moment - clunky, unusable browser - pretty useless.
Appreciate 0