F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Watch winders
Extreme Powerhouse

04-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
Bricktrix
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback

Watch winders

I'm sure there was mention of these on a watch thread here over the last 12 months or so, but buggered if I can find it by searching, or trawling through the watch threads over the weekend?!

So, can anyone recommend one please?
Needs to accomodate 2 minimum and be quiet (bedroom use), have been looking around, really only want to spend upto 500 quid max, but preffer something cheaper if possible.
Aesthetics not of paramount importance at the moment, but would rather it be compact, so this ones grabbed my attention:
https://www.klarstein.co.uk/Modern-L...nsYaAjZj8P8HAQ
Previous BMW's owned in last 30 years: E30 C2 2.3 Alpina, E30 325i (multiples), E30 M3, E36 M3 x2, last one owned for 9 years. 11 years out, got an F36 4GC then Merc AMG C43 Coupe. Now Audi RS5 Sportback.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

You mean this one?

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Winder

If so I assume you avoided using the phrase 'Winder' in the search box
Appreciate 1
Bricktrix401.50
      04-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
Bricktrix
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
You mean this one?

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Winder

If so I assume you avoided using the phrase 'Winder' in the search box
Cheers Gav, no I tried "watch winder" and "Watch winders", both in quotes and out of, in off topic, all u.k, and all f30.
Are you saying just "winder" alone would have worked? If so, jeez
Previous BMW's owned in last 30 years: E30 C2 2.3 Alpina, E30 325i (multiples), E30 M3, E36 M3 x2, last one owned for 9 years. 11 years out, got an F36 4GC then Merc AMG C43 Coupe. Now Audi RS5 Sportback.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricktrix View Post
Cheers Gav, no I tried "watch winder" and "Watch winders", both in quotes and out of, in off topic, all u.k, and all f30.
Are you saying just "winder" alone would have worked? If so, jeez
Yes using winder returns THREE threads lol . (Including this one and the watch thread lol).

Hehe
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 03:51 AM   #5
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Try this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZAHSX...E3GYEI82&psc=1

I'm looking at this one because I have more than 2 autos and this allows each watch to be wound differently.
Appreciate 1
Bricktrix401.50
      04-25-2017, 04:31 AM   #6
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

I have a single watch Rapport in my night table - it has been going for many years. See if they have something for your taste/budget:

https://www.rapportlondon.com/watch-...-watch-winders
Appreciate 1
Bricktrix401.50
      04-25-2017, 04:53 AM   #7
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

A watch that is continually wound will need it's graphite coating (or whatever lube is used by the manufacturer) redone on the mainsprings and gears much more often than a watch that is allowed to run flat and stop between 'wears'. Plus part of the pleasure of owning an automatic watch is to set the time and give it a wind when you want to wear it

Spending £500 on something that increases internal wear on the movement and decreases service intervals is a bit alien to me for the sake of a few seconds convenience. Just sayin
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:16 AM   #8
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossm View Post
A watch that is continually wound will need it's graphite coating (or whatever lube is used by the manufacturer) redone on the mainsprings and gears much more often than a watch that is allowed to run flat and stop between 'wears'. Plus part of the pleasure of owning an automatic watch is to set the time and give it a wind when you want to wear it

Spending £500 on something that increases internal wear on the movement and decreases service intervals is a bit alien to me for the sake of a few seconds convenience. Just sayin
Good watch winders don't continually wind tho. They have a rest cycle the programme.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 05:40 AM   #9
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:

When I bought my Panerai this was also the advice that I was given.

Unless it's something like a Rolex perpetual date, which is apparently time-consuming to set, there's no harm whatsoever in letting the power reserve run down.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:32 AM   #10
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Spending £500 on a watch winder seems crazy!

My Barrington one does the trick and on the lowest turns per day setting it keeps going over the weekend, which is all I need it to do generally.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:37 AM   #11
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
Good watch winders don't continually wind tho. They have a rest cycle the programme.
It might do, but that just means that the winder stops winding the watch to and lets the power reserve take over for a bit, my point being that this is still producing additional wear on the mainspring and gears as they are constantly in use.

An analogy would be leaving your car with the engine running permanently, but connected to a petrol pump so it never runs out of fuel. To prevent premature wear its best to switch it off when not using it
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #12
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It might do, but that just means that the winder stops winding the watch to and lets the power reserve take over for a bit, my point being that this is still producing additional wear on the mainspring and gears as they are constantly in use.

An analogy would be leaving your car with the engine running permanently, but connected to a petrol pump so it never runs out of fuel. To prevent premature wear its best to switch it off when not using it
An analogy would be using your car every day to go to work. Parking up during the day and filling it up again to get home.

The use of a watch winder above is no different to daily wear. Use the watch during the day (and charging up) then leaving it on the night stand to wind down. A watch winder replicates this.

Aren't watches supposed to be worn every day?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #13
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Aren't watches supposed to be worn every day?
Yes it can be used everyday, but at the cost of increased maintenance and shorter servicing intervals ... like i said earlier

A wound mainspring under constant tension will also fatigue faster, by using a winder you are shortening the life. If its a cheap watch then it might not be a problem, if its an expensive one then it might be. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #14
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes it can be used everyday, but at the cost of increased maintenance and shorter servicing intervals ... like i said earlier

A wound mainspring under constant tension will also fatigue faster, by using a winder you are shortening the life. If its a cheap watch then it might not be a problem, if its an expensive one then it might be. YMMV
That's like pretty anything. Don't use it snd it won't water out. But what's the point in having it?

Using a watch winder that allows the correct TPD and a rest period is no different to wearing a watch daily.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #15
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It's unnecessary wear, the end

It's no skin off my nose, its your watch to do with as you wish!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 11:06 AM   #16
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's unnecessary wear, the end

It's no skin off my nose, its your watch to do with as you wish!
Do you not drive your car because it causes wear? I can just imagine the conversations at home.
"Cloud you please give me a lift to such and such darling?"
"No that's entirely uncessary wear on the car. Get the bus. What are you thinking?!!!"

Buy it,use it enjoy it. If you want something to look at buy a painting. If, like me, you don't want to be winding watches but always want one at the correct time ready to wear. Buy a winder. The end.

Last edited by Nobby Clark; 04-25-2017 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #17
Bricktrix
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well blimey, this thread went south rapidly!

Quote:

From what I've been reading, suggests the opposite of what your stating.
It could just be manufacturers BS to get the winders sold and I'm not saying your wrong....I just thought it was a common practice for auto watches.

""The device keeps kinetically wound watches from running out of power, and potentially being damaged, by simulating the movement of the wrist, rotating continuously. This saves the spring and also contributes to maintenance of the movement by ensuring the internal oils are continuously worked.""

As to spending 500 quid, I said "upto 500 quid max, but preffer something cheaper if possible"
Hence posting the link to one thats 100 quid

Quote:
Try this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZAHSX...E3GYEI82&psc=1

I'm looking at this one because I have more than 2 autos and this allows each watch to be wound differently.
I like that one, thank you, and within what I'm happy to pay.
Appreciate 0