F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DIY Detailing - paint swirls
ARMA SPEED

04-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
Lonz
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 435d

Question DIY Detailing - paint swirls

I purchased my 4 series second-hand from a dealer as an ex-demo. My first problem is it's Sapphire Black which will no doubt look stunning when returned to its former glory.

It's lovely motor inside and out but the care they've made to the paintwork and in the interior trim is poor. The insides have clearly be cleaned with rough cloths or firm brushes as the piano black dash clear but light scratches on the surface when you catch them in the sunlight. The outside has just been thrown through the car wash every week without any care for the damage it might do to the clear-coat. The paint swirls look horrendous in sun-light and I really want to do something about it

I was initially a bit daunted by doing this myself until I polished out a small scratch on the bonnet after watching a YouTube tutorial (ChrisFix's channel is worth a watch btw if you're into that sort of thing). Now I'm tempted to get myself a polishing machine (called a "DA" I think, but can't remember what it stands for) and the rest of the body work myself. Sadly the videos on YouTube all seemed to be aimed at people who know more lingo and people who have been doing it for a while who know their way around the process better than a newbie like myself.

There seems to be quite a few potential techniques you can go through to correct and maintain paint but I can't fathom which ones are best suited for which circumstances. I'd love to be able to correct the paint myself and have it looking as good as the day it came out of the factory, which does seem to be possible if you do the right thing. It will no doubt save money in the long run but also be quite satisfying to do properly as I'm not normally a very DIY competent sort of person.

Does anyone have/know of any fool-proof instructions or videos I can bookmark and have a read through to learn the basic techniques?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
ToniCipriani
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 N20B0O ZMT 7AC

If you have a decent DA (dual-action polisher, not random orbital or rotary, those risk burning your paint if not used correctly), can't really go wrong. Just use a light swirl remover and make sure your pads are clean, and work slowly, section by section via painting tape. Apply a good sealant or wax to protect it.

I always refer people to this: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...int-Care-Cycle
Appreciate 1
Lonz5.50
      04-24-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

If you're starting from a novice status with no kit at all I'd be tempted to take it to a professional detailer. It might be cost neutral for a one off.

However, a DA Polisher is basically a orbit polisher and really quite fool proof. It doesn't get anywhere near as hot as a simple rotary machine. I managed it with no issues... A DA will tackle most swirls. However, a Pro will use a rotary polisher and paint depth gauge to attack bad paint damage.

But, a DA, pads, polish, masking tape, microfibres, wax/Sealant, applicator and more microfibres could run into similar costs to a pro-job.

Remember, the paint needs ideally needs a deep clean, clay and fall out removal before polishing.

Ask yourself, if it will become a bit of a labour of love or just a one off correction.

I can do a clean, fall out removal, clay, tape up, machine polish and two coats of wax in about 8h. Lunch brake included. Remember, you'll need an overcast dry day or somewhere inside. Sun on black paint will make it hot and much more difficult.

Good luck.
Lonz5.50
      04-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
ToniCipriani
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 N20B0O ZMT 7AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600
If you're starting from a novice status with no kit at all I'd be tempted to take it to a professional detailer. It might be cost neutral for a one off.

However, a DA Polisher is basically a orbit polisher and really quite fool proof. It doesn't get anywhere near as hot as a simple rotary machine. I managed it with no issues... A DA will tackle most swirls. However, a Pro will use a rotary polisher and paint depth gauge to attack bad paint damage.

But, a DA, pads, polish, masking tape, microfibres, wax/Sealant, applicator and more microfibres could run into similar costs to a pro-job.

Remember, the paint needs ideally needs a deep clean, clay and fall out removal before polishing.

Ask yourself, if it will become a bit of a labour of love or just a one off correction.

I can do a clean, fall out removal, clay, tape up, machine polish and two coats of wax in about 8h. Lunch brake included. Remember, you'll need an overcast dry day or somewhere inside. Sun on black paint will make it hot and much more difficult.

Good luck.
Well it does help if you have friends who are interested too to split the cost, I just borrow my friend's DA when I need to do the whole car, other times just by hand with small corrections.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Some of the Meguiar's videos on their site and on YouTube are quite good. Get a test panel and start doing some practice. Introducing some scratches or swirloand polishing it out.

Different pads have different cut so keep that in mind. Some pads are firmer and heavy duty.

Same with polishes. Some provide more cut and swirl removal. You wouldn't use a heavy cut polish to deal with light swirls.

So it is about having the right tools for the job. As well as the correct technique i.e. Amount of pressure on pad, direction of polishing and speed of the polisher.

Check out forums like Detailing World for ideas on dealing with black paint.

The most important thing is to prepare the surface. If it's clean, clayed etc. then it is ready to work on else you will massage engrained dirt into the paint.

Here is my all out routine on my black sapphire that can be done once or twice a year:

1. Snow foam and iron out remover for wheels
2. Rinse
3. Two bucket wash
4. Rinse
5. Edgeless towel pat dry. Don't drag the towel around to dry.
6. Sonax Clay with detailing spray
7. Dodo Juice Lime Prime Light. It is like a liquid clay bar
8. IPA wipe down. It's an alcohol based cleaner
9. Light swirls: Autoglym super resin polish. Medium swirls: chemical guy's VSS. Heavy swirls: menzerna polish
10. Sonax finishing polish - machine xtreme
11. Poor boys black hole glaze or bilt hamber autobalm
12. Sonax NPT xtreme. Used to use collinite 476s

Steps 6-12 now redundant since applying GTechniq csl to car.
1-12 should take you more than 4-6 hours. If you are done in 2 then you have rushed it. Take breaks! Have good lighting.
Appreciate 2
Lonz5.50
Kal1013105.00
      04-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
Piggin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M440i

Have a look on this forum

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

lots of help from members & good information

Black can be rewarding but needs a lot of work