Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > What do you guys think about cracked OEM rims?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
e93_cris
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: e93 2007 BMW 335i convertible

What do you guys think about cracked OEM rims?

Hey Guys,

As you guys may know.. the style 230 wheels from BMW are prone to cracking. im not too sure why but my 2 rears have cracked 255/30/19 is my tire size. Is it worth getting it fixed/welded again? What are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 02:03 AM   #2
Stage5Lurker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: White Buffalo

Garage List
i was in a minor accident where my front left wheel was grazed and the wheel was bent. I hadnt heard of them cracking? Instead of buying a new wheel I might just go with something else entirely.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 04:01 AM   #3
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

They can be repaired. If they are nice wheels, look for wheel repair places in your area and get quotes. It's not very expensive if it's just one crack.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 05:24 AM   #4
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

It's a heavy wheel and the tire profile is so low that minor blows are likely to be absorbed by the wheel. I am not a fan of 19" wheels at all.
      04-24-2017, 05:53 AM   #5
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Cheap shit metal means they crack easy, rather than bend. It's not a problem with a low profile tyre or runflat as such, just BMW wheels are low quality.

If the wheels are fine other than that get them welded.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #6
inspired626
Private
Rep
Drives: A slow one

I'd be looking for a different set of wheels, especially if the rear wheels, where the car is putting the power to the ground, are the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
Cheap shit metal means they crack easy, rather than bend.
Not so sure "cheap shit metal" will always crack before bending. I'd imagine it really depends on who/how/what created the wheel in the first place:
Quote:
The difference between forged and cast is that forged wheels are lighter because you can use less metal to construct the wheel because the forging, which is in essence a method of pounding the particles together to make a tighter structure, is stronger. The cast is molten metal poured into a form which cools naturally, therefore the metal is not as dense. The drawback of forging is that with enough force it will crack because of the rigidity of the metal. However, even though cast wheels might be heavier, castings do have a little give. They can actually bend a little before breaking and sometimes can be straightened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
It's not a problem with a low profile tyre or runflat as such, just BMW wheels are low quality.
Low profile/runflat tires absolutely contribute to the problem. I'm sure that bends on 3-series equipped with 19s and "low-pros" are much more prevalent compared to the same car on 19s with taller/softer tires; it's just common sense at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspired626 View Post
I'd be looking for a different set of wheels, especially if the rear wheels, where the car is putting the power to the ground, are the issue.
lol As opposed to the front wheels, where a failure could easily steer you into a ditch?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #8
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Not so sure "cheap shit metal" will always crack before bending. I'd imagine it really depends on who/how/what created the wheel in the first place

Low profile/runflat tires absolutely contribute to the problem. I'm sure that bends on 3-series equipped with 19s and "low-pros" are much more prevalent compared to the same car on 19s with taller/softer tires; it's just common sense at that point.
My BMW wheels cracked, aftermarkets have not. BMW wheels are very brittle due to poor metal used in their construction, a decent cast wheel will bend before cracking most of the time.

Of course the less sidewall a tyre has the more likely the wheel is to be damaged, my point was that it's not a problem with that, it's the wheel itself. I've never seen more cracked wheels than this generation of BMWs. And people switch to aftermarket wheels and don't have an issue.

Also welded cracked wheels are fine, they might balance slightly differently but thats why a wheel is balanced. The weld done correctly will be stronger than the uncracked metal around it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
BrandJas18
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 328I 6MT Sport Wagon

I just had a Style225 repaired locally for $125. They welded two hairline cracks and straightened the wheel. So far so good. The shop said they weld a TON of BMW wheels.
Appreciate 0