Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire Pressure Monitors

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-16-2005, 04:36 AM   #1
RachelS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Tire Pressure Monitors

Tire Pressure Monitors..

When I get new wheels, are they inside the old ones. One guy says they don't have any inside each wheel, they are just sensors that watch tire spin.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 04:58 AM   #2
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

I believe that it's incorperated into the DSC system. It monitors the wheels spinning, if the tyre deflates, the "circumfrence" of the tyre is smaller and hence it spins faster and the DSC can read this...and warn the driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 05:08 AM   #3
RachelS
Private First Class
Rep

thank you, no extras to buy when getting new tires and wheels

hoooray
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 05:13 AM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The old systems used to be in the tires and actually cheked the pressure

The new systems use DSC to detect a change in the rolling diameter of the wheel due to a pressure loss.

You must reset the system each time you change the tire pressures or change a tire.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 06:08 AM   #5
RachelS
Private First Class
Rep

thanks E90Fleet and Broken1
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 12:02 PM   #6
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Does anyone know how to do this reset? Is this possibly a do it yourself thing? Is it a must go to the dealership thing? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet

The new systems use DSC to detect a change in the rolling diameter of the wheel due to a pressure loss.

You must reset the system each time you change the tire pressures or change a tire.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 12:06 PM   #7
johnfkitchen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323is & 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe
Does anyone know how to do this reset? Is this possibly a do it yourself thing? Is it a must go to the dealership thing? Thanks.
You do it yourself. Page 80 in the Owner's Manual
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 05:00 AM   #8
JustinS
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, VB3s, MHD, FMIC, RBs

Not sure if I get it, why do some people talk about selling wheels with TPMS then? Sounds like it's not required anymore? Sorry, this probably a real newb question.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
Not sure if I get it, why do some people talk about selling wheels with TPMS then? Sounds like it's not required anymore? Sorry, this probably a real newb question.

Again, the misinformation is astounding. Can we please check the OP's location before answering?

For the US (and only the US)

TPMS sensors have been required in all new cars since the '07 model year.

These sensors actively determine the amount of pressure in each tire and report that to the car. Pursuant to the TREAD Act, the car must alert you if the pressure falls by 25% - i.e. if your tires are at 40psi, then the car must alert you NLT 30psi.

For BMW, the sensors changed with the '10 model year, so ask wwhat year the sensors came from.

TPMS sensors are small pressure sensors attached to the inside of your valve stems. They are installed at the time that the tires are mounted to the wheels. If retrofitting new sensors then the tire must be (at least partially) dismounted.

The rest of the world including Canada but excluding the US

Either uses nothing or it uses the "indirect" method where a change in the rolling diameter alerts the driver of a problem - like Broken1 explained.

The indirect method is too inaccurate as it merely senses a difference in rolling diameter. Accordingly, if all tires lost air (think long term storage) then you would not get notification. Conversely, the direct method would alert you to a loss of pressure in all tires.

In addition, the indirect method reacts fairly slowly and was not considered a viable alternative following the Explorer/Firestone debacle.

You will find the indirect method (called Flat Tire Monitor [FTM] by BMW) on some '06s and cars in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #10
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post

I think you got that flipped, I believe all cars 07 and up have tpms in the tires and earlier models than that used the DSC.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Again, the misinformation is astounding. Can we please check the OP's location before answering?

For the US (and only the US)

TPMS sensors have been required in all new cars since the '07 model year.

These sensors actively determine the amount of pressure in each tire and report that to the car. Pursuant to the TREAD Act, the car must alert you if the pressure falls by 25% - i.e. if your tires are at 40psi, then the car must alert you NLT 30psi.

For BMW, the sensors changed with the '10 model year, so ask wwhat year the sensors came from.

TPMS sensors are small pressure sensors attached to the inside of your valve stems. They are installed at the time that the tires are mounted to the wheels. If retrofitting new sensors then the tire must be (at least partially) dismounted.

The rest of the world including Canada but excluding the US

Either uses nothing or it uses the "indirect" method where a change in the rolling diameter alerts the driver of a problem - like Broken1 explained.

The indirect method is too inaccurate as it merely senses a difference in rolling diameter. Accordingly, if all tires lost air (think long term storage) then you would not get notification. Conversely, the direct method would alert you to a loss of pressure in all tires.

In addition, the indirect method reacts fairly slowly and was not considered a viable alternative following the Explorer/Firestone debacle.

You will find the indirect method (called Flat Tire Monitor [FTM] by BMW) on some '06s and cars in Canada.
Don't you also have to check what CODE your car has by entering the VIN number into this link?

Car made for US or Canada Vin - CODE decoder here

Tire pressure monitoring systems as you say are different in the US and or Canada.

Also, if you change to winter tires with a new set of wheels you need the TPMS also in those wheels or the light on the dash will be on all the time (some people mount winter tires without the TPMS since it is quite expensive ranging from $200- to $400- for the car depending on the system, so I am told).

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Bpinsm
Rep
Drives: 330xi

60 used the DSC. 07 and up uses a monitor in the tire.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

This thread is from 2005....

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Holy crap it is haha

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
so it is, I never checked LOL

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #16
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
so it is, I never checked LOL
At this point we all slap ourselves on the forehead - d'oh.

But to answer your other thread, it is more cost effective to get a second set of sensors for your winter wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
At this point we all slap ourselves on the forehead - d'oh.

But to answer your other thread, it is more cost effective to get a second set of sensors for your winter wheels.
of course you are right I made the math also I don't like to disturb the tire otherwise I also am looking at new wheels balancing

Thanks for your post(s)

Cheers

Rolf-Dieter

Appreciate 0