F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > help needed please
Studio RSR

04-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

help needed please

Guys im picking up a pre registered car which is on the garages name, i want to assign a private plate to it, my question is can i put the plate on using the presant log book or do i have to wait for it to come back on my daughters name first?

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Unless plate is registered in same name as car it cannot be added....
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thought so, thanks

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Unless plate is registered in same name as car it cannot be added....
That's not correct any more. You can allocate a plate in your name (the grantee) to any car in another name (the nominee) as long as you have the retention certificate or certificate ID number and V5 document number of the car it is going on to. The nominee's name does not have to appear on the retention certificate. Have done this twice recently.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The retention is on my daughters name, new car currently on dealers name, dealer & DVLA both said i have to wait for the V5 to be on daughters name

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #6
DougMcL
Major
Rep

Neither are correct. Here are my two examples. I bought a registration on ebay, on a retention certificate, in someone else's name. Using the retention certificate identifier, I immediately assigned this to my car. A new V5 appeared three days later.

Recently I also put a number I had on a certificate. There was no nominee named. I sold it for cash to a local guy, giving him the certificate. He assinged the number to his car the very same day.

You could immediately assign your daughter's certificate to the vehicle online, but the dealer would receive the amended V5. In theory, they would then have the right to the registration, although they would presumably agree to the transfer of the new V5 and the right to the reg to your daughter.

The procedure has all changed within the last few months, so you will find that the people in the admin department of your dealer will likely know the real answer; the salesman won't.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #7
DougMcL
Major
Rep

One more thought - I think the car has to be taxed for this to work so if the dealer's car isn't a demo and isn't taxed then the V5 will need to be in your daughter's name AND taxed....
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #8
dbramley
320d M-Sport
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 320si

DougMcL sorry I don't think what you're saying is correct or at least in the context of the question. The V5 is being sent off to be transferred into the new keepers name, since this is happening you cannot also assign the number plate, you need it to come through first. Good news is turn around time usually within a few days.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 06:55 AM   #9
DougMcL
Major
Rep

Everything I have said so far is definitely correct. The original question concerned a pre-reg car, which is presumably taxed in a dealer's/garage's name with a V5. The answer to this question is that a number (on a retention certificate) can be assigned to the car with this V5. The dealer/garage would then receive a new V5 (in their name) which could then be transferred to the second owner (in this case, the OP's daughter). I suspect the dealer is saying no, as it involves more hassle for them.

The easy way is to buy the car on the original reg, paying the VED in the process, wait for the V5, then assign the cherished reg. Potential disadvantages to do this are insuring the car on the original number and perhaps having to pay an admin fee on changing the plate.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #10
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The car isnt taxed, they are taxing it ready for collection this week, i dout the dealer will change plates whilst in there name....i will wait for the V5 to turn up then do it online which takes all of 5mins, she just wanted it to come home with the plate on.

Evdok

Appreciate 0