THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Low Volume Output from USB

04-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #1
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Low Volume Output from USB

I'm having a small issue, when I'm trying to listen to music from my iPhone 7 Plus via lightning port (well other than Bluetooth I don't have any other options so ) with Apple's cable, the volume is extremely low compared to radio. No EQ setting or sound limit on the phone. When I switch between the radio and the USB without touching the volume knob there is a huge gap, I need the volume at least %50 to get decent sound out of the phone. I can't touch the volume setting on the iPhone when connected with USB, I can see it's almost full. Once I revert back to FM radio it will blast my ears off with the same setting. I have the HK system. I took it to the service once, they said they applied an update but it wasn't a huge improvement. Any ideas?

Last edited by omera60; 04-19-2017 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by omera60 View Post
I'm having a small issue, when I'm trying to listen to music from my iPhone 7 Plus via lightning port (well other than Bluetooth I don't have any other options so ) with Apple's cable, the volume is extremely low compared to radio. No EQ setting or sound limit on the phone. When I switch between the radio and the USB without touching the volume knob there is a huge gap, I need the volume at least %50 to get decent sound out of the phone. I can't touch the volume setting on the iPhone when connected with USB, I can see it's almost full. I have the HK system. I took it to the service once, they said they applied an update but it wasn't a huge improvement. Any ideas?
One thought: Make sure "Sound Check" is turned on under "Music" in Settings in iOS. That option auto-levels volume to be equivalent from song to song. If it's not checked, it could very well be that the recording level is throwing things off.

Also keep in mind that the output voltage from the Lightning port is very low, and the HU simply doesn't have the gain -- or purposefully limits the gain -- to equalize volume from it via USB.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

One other thing to try perhaps, plug into the aux in port in the armrest and max the volume on your phone.

When I went from USB drive for music to aux in with FiiO the volume increased probably 50%. So USB I had car volume up to 75% now closer to 50%.

Not going to fix the problem but maybe trouble shoot some.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I've noticed the same issue using a USB thumb drive loaded with music and the base radio. I do not have any suggestions, but will be following this thread to see if there's a solution.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      04-19-2017, 04:17 AM   #5
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Gents,

Thank you for your replies. To begin with;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
One thought: Make sure "Sound Check" is turned on under "Music" in Settings in iOS. That option auto-levels volume to be equivalent from song to song. If it's not checked, it could very well be that the recording level is throwing things off.

Also keep in mind that the output voltage from the Lightning port is very low, and the HU simply doesn't have the gain -- or purposefully limits the gain -- to equalize volume from it via USB.
Sound check lowers most of my songs volume but also increases the ones with low volume enormously so when I do the gain vs loss, gain wins. That's why I have it enabled. But unfortunately the issue still persist with it on or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
One other thing to try perhaps, plug into the aux in port in the armrest and max the volume on your phone.

When I went from USB drive for music to aux in with FiiO the volume increased probably 50%. So USB I had car volume up to 75% now closer to 50%.

Not going to fix the problem but maybe trouble shoot some.
Since my phone doesn't have a aux port what can I do? I thought of purchasing the Music/Media adapter from BMW but will it work is the question. Do you have any experience with this cable, would you recommend it?

Last edited by omera60; 04-20-2017 at 04:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Since my phone doesn't have a aux port what can I do? I thought of purchasing the cable from BMW that has USB and aux jacks in one end and lighting jack on the other but will it work is the question. Do you have any experience with this cable, would you recommend it?
Aaah, that's right: the iPhone 7 doesn't have a headphone port. Forgot about that ...

Basically, you can't use Aux In with your phone as a straight connection; you're stuck with the Lightning port and Bluetooth. I'm 90 percent sure the audio interface in iDrive does not have source volume leveling, but I'd check just in case. Otherwise ... it's probably something you'll have to live with if you continue to use your phone.

Another solution is a standalone DMP. Check out the recent install that BEM-S4 did here. It's quite cost effective for MUCH higher quality source material than the car's OEM systems can deliver. Another solution is to buy a used iPhone or iPod Touch with a headphone jack/Bluetooth that you can use as a dedicated music device.

Last edited by Viffermike; 04-19-2017 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Your other option, if you don't care about charging the phone, is a USB DAC / headphone amp that should solve your problem (VM help me out if I am talking out of my ass). Audioengine makes one I believe, I know FiiO has a number of different options.

If volume is your only concern and you don't much care about improving the audio quality, you could also look for a bluetooth DAC that should help and will allow you to still charge your phone.

But Viffermike is right he and I just went through the entire dog and pony show on all of this shit. If you want to charge phone and improve sound, the DMP is really your only option.

Last edited by BEM-S4; 04-19-2017 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Like this for instance you'd plug into the aux port in the armrest and charge it there as well. Your phone you would charge someplace else, either center cigarette lighter or add USB to glovebox.

Creative Sound Blaster E3 Portable USB DAC Headphone Amplifier with Bluetooth and NFC
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #9
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like this for instance you'd plug into the aux port in the armrest and charge it there as well. Your phone you would charge someplace else, either center cigarette lighter or add USB to glovebox.

Creative Sound Blaster E3 Portable USB DAC Headphone Amplifier with Bluetooth and NFC
The SoundBlaster E3 could definitely work, but it's bulky -- and the only way to get the music from your iPhone, omera60 , to the system would be via Bluetooth. The cars' USB input is just that -- an input only. It doesn't output data.

Two alternate suggestions that BEM-S4 touches upon:
1). Use the Lightning-to-USB adapter that came with your iPhone 7 to feed a small inline USB DAC such as the AudioQuest Dragonfly Black ($100) or the FiiO K1 ($40), which also has a small headphone amp built-in that will boost the signal going to the Aux In jack. That way you get a good DAC that bypasses the one in the iPhone, extra juice to make up for the weak USB output, a form factor that allows you to control music with the iPhone. What you wouldn't be able to do is charge the phone simultaneously (though there are Lightning 'splitters' out there that are dubious at best).
2). The just-released FiiO i1 ($40), which is specifically designed for the iPhone 7. It basically does the same thing as the other options above, but is not as high quality and universal in application and use. It basically gives you back your headphone jack, but with some added juice. Here's a review.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:

The SoundBlaster E3 could definitely work, but it's bulky -- and the only way to get the music from your iPhone, omera60 , to the system would be via Bluetooth. The cars' USB input is just that -- an input only. It doesn't output data.

Two alternate suggestions that BEM-S4 touches upon:
1). Use the Lightning-to-USB adapter that came with your iPhone 7 to feed a small inline USB DAC such as the AudioQuest Dragonfly Black ($100) or the FiiO K1 ($40), which also has a small headphone amp built-in that will boost the signal going to the Aux In jack. That way you get a good DAC that bypasses the one in the iPhone, extra juice to make up for the weak USB output, a form factor that allows you to control music with the iPhone. What you wouldn't be able to do is charge the phone simultaneously (though there are Lightning 'splitters' out there that are dubious at best).
2). The just-released FiiO i1 ($40), which is specifically designed for the iPhone 7. It basically does the same thing as the other options above, but is not as high quality and universal in application and use. It basically gives you back your headphone jack, but with some added juice. Here's a review.
Yep - better put than what I had. I think Apogee makes one / used to make one that would charge the phone as well. Basically music comes out of phone into Apogee into car via Aux in. Power comes out of car USB into Apogee then into iPhone. That's an expensive option though.

One thing we haven't really touched on is what you are using for source files. If you're looking to stream Pandora for example the BT option may be the path of least resistance and make no noticeable impact on sound quality while still allowing you to charge your phone and boost the volume. FLAC files you're opening up a whole other can of worms that's not easily solvable without a DMP as Viffermike pointed out.

Last edited by BEM-S4; 04-19-2017 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 11:28 PM   #11
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep - better put than what I had. I think Apogee makes one / used to make one that would charge the phone as well. Basically music comes out of phone into Apogee into car via Aux in. Power comes out of car USB into Apogee then into iPhone. That's an expensive option though.

One thing we haven't really touched on is what you are using for source files. If you're looking to stream Pandora for example the BT option may be the path of least resistance and make no noticeable impact on sound quality while still allowing you to charge your phone and boost the volume. FLAC files you're opening up a whole other can of worms that's not easily solvable without a DMP as Viffermike pointed out.
Do you happen to remember the name of the product Apogee makes or do you have any other suggestions I can look at? I really need the best but at a reasonable price point for what I'm getting?

I don't stream music, I only listen to what I have on my music library on the iPhone. It's a mix of iTunes downloads and CD transfers which are done with Apple Lossless Recoder.

I also use Google Maps for traffic info (as BMW RTTI doesn't have a wide coverage in Turkey) so I also need to hear the voice commands from it as well, will these products work with that as well?

Last edited by omera60; 04-20-2017 at 02:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 06:02 AM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you happen to remember the name of the product Apogee makes or do you have any other suggestions I can look at? I really need the best but at a reasonable price point for what I'm getting?

I don't stream music, I only listen to what I have on my music library on the iPhone. It's a mix of iTunes downloads and CD transfers which are done with Apple Lossless Recoder.

I also use Google Maps for traffic info (as BMW RTTI doesn't have a wide coverage in Turkey) so I also need to hear the voice commands from it as well, will these products work with that as well?
I think it's called an Apogee One but I am not 100% sure it will do what you want. Believe around $400 USD.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #13
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yes. The USB DACs should make the iPhone output all audio through the Aux In and into your speakers.

If I were in your situation, I'd probably get the AudioQuest. It's generally the highest-rated of all the small-form USB DACs, and it's great to have to use with computers or anything else with a full-on USB connection but questionable music processing. It will make a significant difference with those CD-quality Apple Lossless files.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #14
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm now diving deep for some research to figure out what suits me the best. Will report back on my choice once I have it.

Best,
Omer
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omera60
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm now diving deep for some research to figure out what suits me the best. Will report back on my choice once I have it.

Best,
Omer
Good luck, if you come up with anything please let us know! I looked nonstop for weeks before giving up and buying a FiiO music player. For me charge phone in car is nonnegotiable I spend most of my commute on conference calls.
Appreciate 0