F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > F1 British GP
GetBMWParts

04-15-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
badgerbrock72
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Sport

F1 British GP

So for my birthday my lovely wife has treated me and my 8y.o son to general admission weekend tickets to the British Grand Prix 👍

However having never been my practical mind starts thinking of massive ques and the like..

Who has been, and does anyone have any tips for a Silverstone 'Virgin'..?!

Camping has been mentioned but not overly sure we fancy that.

Also any tips for the general admission tickets, what's that get us in terms of viewing opportunities etc

Cheers for any help in advance!

Garry 😀
      04-15-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
General admission is the best - make sure at the end you are near the start straight because they open the track and you can get close to the fence - normally you get an appearance from Lewis etc if he wins and see the TV guys
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

been to a few gp's now, and general admission at silverstone is very good these days. There are lots of banked areas with good views, lots of screens and live timing screens.

Best advice is get there early and be prepared with drinks and food, and definately take a radio to tune into the circuit commentary feed in case you don't get a good view of a screen or timing board.

if you have weekend tickets then Friday and Saturday are a great opportunity to find the good viewing spots, if not then you just have to plan as best you can ahead, decide your spot and go straight to it.

It is a great event, the support races are really good and there's lots to do in the f1 village.

after the race I recommend heading down to the pits and get stood outside the Merc garage - Lewis will definitely come out to see the fans and Merc throw loads of signed merch out to the fans.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

last time I went we were on lufield, we had a fantastic view, I highly recommend.

the fast corners are good but the cars just fly by and there's not usually too much wheel to wheel action.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #5
badgerbrock72
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Sport

Thanks guys really appreciate the advice, keep it coming - especially any advice about getting to/from and if camping is a good idea (and if so, which sites)

Cheers 👍
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Come in from Buckingham on the Stow road & you'll avoid all the traffic
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 03:38 AM   #7
AndyTo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Camping is expensive, but we loved it as there's a carnival type atmosphere all evening with so much going on, we have a pissed Eddie Jordan get on stage infront of about 5000 people and slag off Vettel before booting the drummer off and taking over, that guy can play drums!! Also had David Coultard try to wheelspin a bubble car infront of our tent, had to do a double take to check it was him, but the TV cameras always go through the camping area.

The queues to get in, especially on race day can be long so camping gets round all that. Food isn't too expensive, about £5/meal and its decent quality considering its from a van.
We went for seats as they're allocated on race day, so you can take your time doing other things as the best positions will be gone by about 4am by the hardcore fans, you can usually upgrade if you want.

I would strongly recommend watching a race start, even the GP2 start is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 03:39 AM   #8
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

I'm thinking of taking my son and nefew also this year for the first time. I will probably do a grand stand though just so we are guaranteed a fixed seat and good view. They are both 8 years old also.

My son enjoys watching most of the races on the tv and loves the ps4 F1 games. His a Lewis fan so it would be the icing on the cake if Lewis could pull of another silverstone win.

I took my son to watch his first Chelsea game this year. He looked a little unsure with the crowd and noise at first as the game kicked off but he absolutely loved the experience. For me as a life long Chelsea supporter it was such a proud moment.
      04-17-2017, 05:17 PM   #9
F15CCT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Take a radio, try and get to the Thursday pit lane day (last year was via ballot so not sure what will happen this year) and camp! If you don't get a seat then be prepared to stay in your spot or you may lose it. We stay at Whitelbury hall golf course next to Beckets and a lot of the drivers, team managers etc. stay in the hotel so great for autographs etc. As they stop outside and say hello to the fans etc.
Appreciate 0